AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the misfortune of having a late night freak accident happen to me tonight that I thought I should share:

Get this:

I was installing a brand new Duracell 'AA' battery into a remote control. I noticed that the '+' tip had some rust on it, as I had these in the fridge for the longest time, and some water spilled in the package.

The rust was preventing good contact on the remote, so I took a voltmeter lead and went to scrape the rust off.

Somehow, the meter lead penetrated the good ol' copper top, and I heard a tiny noise, and battery acid shot out of the puncture hole right into my eyeball. In all my years of servicing, I have never heard of this, let alone had it happen. The acid must have shot up at least 6-8" from the battery.

I rushed to flush my eye with saline and rip my contact lens out, and had a friend drive me to emergency. I managed to scratch my cornea. Fortunately my eye will heal fully as it is only a surface scratch, but it's safety glasses from now on!

No precision projector convergence alignment for about 2 weeks.

Curt

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here's my safety glasses story -- in high school a friend of mine was working on a summer job for his father, who was a contractor. He was busting ceramic insulators off of salvaged power lines with a hammer. One of the insulators shattered and sent a chip through his eye, which unfortunately he ended up losing...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Curt, what a bizarre event. I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Yep, those glasses are a good idea. Mine saved me from taking a shot straight in the eye from a contact cleaner. Scared me, but didn't get hurt because of the glasses.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Just make sure they are the really geekie ones with the protectors on the sides or better yet goggles. I was wearing the regular eye glasses type while grinding. A piece of the wheel about the size of a grain of sand flew off, bounced off my cheek, then the inside of the glasses and into my eye. We all know better but don't do it anyway. And unless you have them glued to your face, at some point you'll take a chance again. Take a typical day and every time you do something stop and think what possably could happen while doing this. At the end of the day you'll have missed 100 good reasons for wearing them but will find yourself putting them on to go to the bathroom.:D

Chip S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This one is a total classic..

I teach in a Technical High School. I'm constantly yelling at the kids to put their safety glasses on. One of my freshmen poked himself in the eye putting ON his glasses. Sent him to the nurse, who put a patch over his left eye for 2 weeks.

And I thought I saw it all in twenty years in the classroom!

mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
monica44,

i laughed out loud when i read your post.

must be the type of injury that OSHA is trying to prevent with the postal workers. apparently, the US Post Office has purchased hundreds of thousands of dust masks to prevent anthrax in the letter handlers, the same type of masks you would purchase at the local Home Depot to hang sheetrock. but OSHA regs prevent the workers from using the safety equipment (masks) until they have had a certain amount of hours of training and pass a test showing how to use the mask.

INCONCEIVABLE!

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, (sniff), I'm glad someone got a laugh from this thread (moan)!...:D

I've decided I'm switching to the Energizer batteries. Can't see a nice soft bunny being as mean as a coppertop!

Gotta love these Tylenol 3's with codeine..;)

Curt

·
Registered
199 Posts
what a nasty thought a one eyed crt tec. i would'nt like to think of the troubles you would get in to . sticking a screwdriver in amonge all those voultages aint the best thing as it is . take away your deapth perseption (i would'n like to do it)

glad to hear your not to bad curt .

all the best

simon

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Wow, Curt, glad you're OK, but you might consider a black pirate's eye patch, they can look kinda studly!

Jeez, do you have some kind of rain cloud over your head that follws you around or something? You've had WAY more than your fair share of **** happening to you.

Chuck

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Geez Curt! I didn't even know acid-filled alkalines still existed! I thought all (non-industrial) batteries these days were solid inside.... I remember ripping a few dead AA's open when I was a kid & extremely curious about how things worked. Nothing but solid packed brown stuff inside...

Kal

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Glad your ok Curt.

Around 15 years ago, I was reading one of our large format newspapers (I think it was 'The Times') as I turned one of the pages something went in my eye.

I thought it was dust at first but after I washed several times it was getting more and more painfull and very sore.

Luckily we lived near the world famous 'Moorfields Eye Hospital' in London where upon arrival I was examined.

They found a tiny wood chipping from the newspaper embeded into my eye.

With a bit of luck and a lot of skill they managed to take it out.

Heres the funny part.

They asked me if someone was driving me back home as they suggested that its diffucult to drive with one eye bandaged (which I had to leave on for two days).

Of course I said yes (having driven myself alone to the hospital).

I thought they were being a bit silly as driving with one eye should be just as easy as using the two.

How wrong I was.

I coulden't judge distances, widths or anything else for that matter. It was a nightmare.

After only a few miles I parked up and took a taxi home before I had another accident.

Its funny what we take for granted.

Eric

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hey Curt, glad to hear your ok. I had a CRT implode on me once. That was scarry! I did not have safety glasses on at the time but my back was towards the implosion so, I was very very lucky. I think I wore glasses after that anytime I changed a CRT. I would never had though a battery would have done that.

Mike

·
Registered
451 Posts
Whoa crap man, glad you are ok, you would think that all the CRTs Curt replaces one of those would have blown up before a battery! Although mabey he posted a story, someone did, in their TV repair days of a tube imploding. That is why when I sell tubes I leave all the deflection coils and whatnot on the neck. Scary man.

-Audiophil

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I guess I did tell that story before. (Memory problems are the first sign of old age) :) Anyway it seemed worth repeating.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.