AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the misfortune of having a late night freak accident happen to me tonight that I thought I should share:

Get this:

I was installing a brand new Duracell 'AA' battery into a remote control. I noticed that the '+' tip had some rust on it, as I had these in the fridge for the longest time, and some water spilled in the package.

The rust was preventing good contact on the remote, so I took a voltmeter lead and went to scrape the rust off.

Somehow, the meter lead penetrated the good ol' copper top, and I heard a tiny noise, and battery acid shot out of the puncture hole right into my eyeball. In all my years of servicing, I have never heard of this, let alone had it happen. The acid must have shot up at least 6-8" from the battery.

I rushed to flush my eye with saline and rip my contact lens out, and had a friend drive me to emergency. I managed to scratch my cornea. Fortunately my eye will heal fully as it is only a surface scratch, but it's safety glasses from now on!

No precision projector convergence alignment for about 2 weeks.

Curt

·
Registered
274 Posts
Geez Curt...

You're awfully lucky you diluted the acid quickly enough! That must have hurt like a son-ofa-gun! Glad to hear there was no long term damage done.

Darrin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.