AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have four doors in my theater, no way around it. It really sucked but what can you do, such is life. Anyway I put solid core doors in and installed rubber weather stripping on each door with a door jambs as well. Each door has 3 coats of eggshell latex black on them with primer under that. I waited a week or so to put the weather stripping up to make sure the paint was dry. Even with this waiting I have problems with the wather stripping sticking to the door? Shouldn't the paint be solid it's been almost 2 months now?

thoughts? Would a little coat of something like KY or vasilne work or would that hurt the paint? The weather stripping some times pulls off the track.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don,

I certainly would have thought that the paint would have lost its tack by now....What about some thin strips of clear packing tape?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I doubt it's the paint. I'm sure it's dry by now. It's the interaction between the rubber and the paint. I looked around and found this from Pella's installation instructions:

"If a painted finish is desired, apply (1) coat of a high-quality latex primer, and (2) coats of a high-quality interior flat latex paint. Ask a qualified paint professional to help you find a latex paint with good blocking resistance. Failure to use the correct paint may result in a window that sticks shut, even after the paint has dried."

Not sure what "blocking resistance" is, but Pella seems to be concerned about that quality in the paint.

In lieu of repainting the door where it meets the weatherstrip, maybe a thin coat of water-based polyurethane along the weatherstrip where it meets the door surface would work.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well figured out part of it. I put the track on upside down. Now it does not come out of the track however it still has a bit of a stick from time to time.

My father in-law is a painter runs his own company, I'll see if I can find out what blocking is. I would have thought that was the ability to block reds or stains etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.