AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the increase in web links and information links displayed on UltimateTV? I am now getting them for commercials, not just shows, and cannot get rid of them. When I press clear after it pops it usually returns within 2 seconds or so. The worst abuser is the Microsoft WindowsXP commercials. I had to hit clear 6+ different times during the commercial each time it popped up. It would not go away and stay away The only time it stopped was when the commercial was over.


I can take a lot of annoyance before having to take action, but it got so bad yesterday that I called DirectTV support to try and ask them how to turn this "feature" off. This pained me to call them, I hate calling support. I got directed to the UltimateTV support group. They said that there was no way and that it was part of the service. Is it that much of an oversite by the UltimateTV programmers to allow this to be turned off by people not using the webTV aspect of the box when these links require the use of that webTV subscription? i mean really!


I'd like to start a petition to have something added to allow for this "feature" to be disabled on a per box basis if there isn't already a way that someone knows. I know some people may like this thing, but some do not. we should have the option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,263 Posts
Can't you just press the 30 second skip button to skip the commercial, or FF through it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Totally agree with you - I hate this feature and HAVE ALWAYS hated this feature! What I have noticed lately is that it is popping up several times during a movie on SHOWTIME! I can understand on a commercial channel but on a PREMIUM Channel that I pay additional for - this is too much - what's next - I's and W's appearing on PPV channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I sent an e-mail to UTV this morning right after posting my comments - their reply:


"Thank you for your feedback. We value our subscribers' comments so much that we have added a Feature Request form in the Help Center expressly for this purpose. To submit a feature request, please go to:

http://help.webtv.net/forms/suggestion.html


Please answer the questions and fill out the form located there. Your participation will enhance the MSN TV experience for all subscribers."


The form is rather generic and I really doubt if it will do any good, but gave it a shot anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimL
Totally agree with you - I hate this feature and HAVE ALWAYS hated this feature! What I have noticed lately is that it is popping up several times during a movie on SHOWTIME! I can understand on a commercial channel but on a PREMIUM Channel that I pay additional for - this is too much - what's next - I's and W's appearing on PPV channels.
So you're saying that UTV is popping stuff up during a movie??? That seems hard to believe (I'm not calling you a liar, but I would have guessed that this would have been posted here by now)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah



So you're saying that UTV is popping stuff up during a movie??? That seems hard to believe (I'm not calling you a liar, but I would have guessed that this would have been posted here by now)...
MS is not doing anything. The broadcaster is inserting the trigger (ATVEF triggers, search on google for ATVEF) into the programming, and UTV simply picks up the trigger and prompts the user, regardless of whether or not the user has WebTV! What MS needs to do is provide an off switch for this "feature." I think the reason they don't offer an off switch is that they have revenue tied to this feature and they are afraid users will turn it off and never turn it back on again, thus lowering their revenue per sub for selling triggers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying - it has consistently popped up weekly during the opening interviews of "Band of Brothers" and just the other evening right before the end of a movie on Showtime - that is what prompted my response - I was angry it now started appearing on Showtime also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,263 Posts
You may have more luck writing to the offending networks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimL
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying - it has consistently popped up weekly during the opening interviews of "Band of Brothers" and just the other evening right before the end of a movie on Showtime - that is what prompted my response - I was angry it now started appearing on Showtime also.
there too. it pops up on E! entertainment channel a ton too. before I had UTV, i had a normal RCA tuner and last year sometime DirecTV put in the information links as an "upgrade", but it downloaded the information and you could surf through headlines and short synopsis of the story. cnn, headline news, msnbc and a few others did it if i recall. well UTV doesn't download it. it relies on the webTV function which i do not use. so they are useless to me.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top