AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Web TV Arrives

Televisions with built-in Internet connections, typically an Ethernet port and/or Wi-Fi, are becoming increasingly common as manufacturers roll out their 2010 models. These HDTVs, such as LG's Web-ready lineup priced from $1,300 to $2,700, make it easy to access a rapidly expanding universe of Internet-based services, including movie-streaming services like Netflix and Vudu, as well as TV widgets that bring online content such as news, weather, traffic, stock quotes, and social networks (e.g., Facebook and Twitter) to the living room.

Even better, a Web-enabled TV can save you money. Do you need a Roku Digital Video Player if your TV is Internet-ready? A Blu-ray player? I'm guessing "no" to both. Vudu already offers 1080p movie streaming--provided your broadband connection is fast enought--and competing video services will soon follow. (Note: Not all Web-enabled TVs support Vudu, and I suspect many more will now that Wal-Mart has bought the company.) Bottom line: Web-connected TVs allow you to avoid additional set-top boxes, movie players, and shiny discs.

Glitches Abound

Internet-ready TVs are still in their infancy, and they're far from perfect. I've tested a few set-top boxes and Blu-ray players, and found them a bit flaky at times. They might, for instance, drop a Wi-Fi connection in the middle of movie and not be able to reconnect without a reboot. And in residences where the broadband router is far from the living room--perhaps in an upstairs home office--users may find it difficult to bring the Web to the TV.

Over time, however, these glitches will be resolved, and the Internet-TV relationship will bloom. So the next time you're shopping for a new HDTV, remember that Web connectivity is far more important than eye-popping 3D graphics.

Web Connectivity a Bigger Deal for HDTV Than 3D. 3D television the next big thing in consumer tech? Splashy, flashy, and (virtually) in your face, 3D TV is getting a mega-promotional boost by its backers, including Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony, all of whom hope you'll be so bowled over by 3D's visual splendor that you won't mind paying a few thousand bucks for the 3D-at-home experience.

Well, 3D is pretty cool, I must admit. But its charm is limited to certain types of programming, and the unresolved problem of pricey, non-standardized 3D glasses will turn off a lot of potential buyers. And that's why 3D TV will take a back seat to Web services in the HDTV features war.

Comment

larryw4csc says:

We are all being conditioned for "cloud computing", where you will no longer be in possession of anything you might steal...programs, media, even your own kids' photos.

Your cloud device, like this TV or iPad, will, for an expensive monthly fee you MUST pay or get nothing, connect you to cloud-running programs rented to you to act on cloud-mounted data/media/documents/your stuff. Nothing will download except the audio/video data and output to the printer. There will be no local storage, only enough to connect you to that great BOX OFFICE CLOUD in the sky.

We're going to be SCREWED, continuously. The ignorant public is already accepting ipods, itouch, ipads, iphones, itunes, app stores....AND CLOUD COMPUTING from their new "1984"-style display screens shown above.....

Contact Jeff Bertolucci via Twitter (@jbertolucci ) or at jbertolucci.blogspot.com .
http://www.pcworld.com/article/19136...v_than_3d.html

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I have to agree...when thinking about getting a newer, bigger TV for the upstairs bedroom, I've been looking at Internet ready TVs. I don't really care about 3D (in a TV or a Blu-ray player) and I just don't want it.

BTW I have to disagree with that comment made towards the end. I'm not "ignorant" and I welcome such advancements in entertainment devices, be it HDTV, Blu-ray, etc. I don't own an iPhone or iPad and frankly don't want or need the former, and if I'd think about getting the latter, it wouldn't be for a while until the prices come down. Maybe an e-reader would suit me just fine, anyway.

I like technology. I don't always completely understand it, sometimes...but I like it anyway! Gadgets are cool.

DGK

·
Registered
69 Posts
3D television and 3D Blu-ray players make my eyes glaze over and nearly puts me to sleep. The thought of strapping something on my head to watch television makes me chuckle. Geez, I wonder how many people will walk into a wall or trip over the dog and smash their face into the edge of a table with those things covering half their face?

Yes, Internet connectivity is much more important to me than 3D television and 3D Blu-ray players, and that's why both my television and Blu-ray player have Internet connectivity. A solution, and a darn good one at that, is to just bite the bullet and install some wired Ethernet outlets around the house and get ready for the future. I'll take a wired connection any day of the week over a wireless connection when the equipment is stationary. That's why I wired my house through the attic and walls last year for Ethernet outlets.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch /forum/post/18306166

The ignorant public is already accepting ipods, itouch, ipads, iphones, itunes, app stores....AND CLOUD COMPUTING from their new "1984"-style display screens shown above.....

Sorry, Apple, but if any device doesn't have a battery I can replace cheaply, you're not going to get too much of my business.! You don't get too much of my business, by the way.

And my information will always belong to me and be controlled by me. I've had enough trouble already with that "cloud" stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts