AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the premiere last night. Looks very promising. Mary Louise Parker definitely redefines "desperate housewife" as a dealer in the 'burbs.

-BruinToo

·
Registered
253 Posts
I caught it last night and agree that it looks good. Parker was excellent I thought. Too bad she doesn't live in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I watched it last night. Started a little slow but I think its got some potential. The youngest son is hysterical. so far so good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recorded this with a season pass but is it 2 episodes or 1? I saw a 30 minute followed by a 35 minute episode in the guide. Should I record both when they get re-aired?

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
I thought Mary Louise Parker was excellent -- as she almost always is.

The show, on the other hand, IMO, was another example of Hollywood telling us how much it dislikes the way tens of millions of Americans (more or less happily) live.

(Oh those suburbs -- how awfully tacky!)

There is a reason Showtime's ratings have never come close to HBO. And despite a rather fallow couple of years, HBO still leads by a very strong margin.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
They repeated the episode.

Warning to TiVo'ers: The episode ran over the :30 min time hack by a couple of minutes on Sunday and the first Monday showings. So you might want to pad a couple of minutes to be safe.

·
Registered
28,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/0

The show, on the other hand, IMO, was another example of Hollywood telling us how much it dislikes the way tens of millions of Americans (more or less happily) live.

(Oh those suburbs -- how awfully tacky!)

There is a reason Showtime's ratings have never come close to HBO. And despite a rather fallow couple of years, HBO still leads by a very strong margin.

Your usual sharp sense of popular culture has let you down with that first remark, fredfa. As someone who has lived in suburbs most of his life, I can testify that underneath the bucolic "Beaver-eske" surface of these well-maintained neighborhoods lurks all manner of domestic pathologies. Hollywood doesn't "dislike" the suburbs (most of the studio execs live in them); it simply sees the opportunity to tell interesting stories. Do you feel the same way about the large number of sitcoms that all seem to take place in urbanized New York or LA?

And, for the record, Weeds is more "realistic" (and much funnier, based on the first episode) than Desperate Housewives (nominated for an emmy in comedy?!), that's for sure. Showtime has a winner here.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
archiguy:

actually I do feel the same way about all the sitcoms based in NY or LA.

And as to the rest, that is why they give us so many channels: so we can have different favorites.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I thought it was... ok. Granted I missed the last two minutes so I have no idea what the heck happened in them. I thought it was going to be a lot funnier, but it really was rather dark. The youngest son was funny, the girlfriend was funny. Mary Louise Parker looked like she got some enhancements done. She certainly never looked that stacked on West Wing!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Quote:

Up until HBO's offerings this past year, I would have agreed with you.

And no one asked or will care, but Mary Louise Parker lived in my co-ed dorm and used to cut my hair in college hehe.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Quote:
... Mary Louise Parker lived in my co-ed dorm and used to cut my hair in college hehe.

If you could say she cuts your hair now, I would be really impressed.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/0

Mary Louise Parker looked like she got some enhancements done. She certainly never looked that stacked on West Wing!

When we she won an Emmy she thanked her baby for her improved cleavage. Maybe she also kept some weight on. The same way Kate Beckinsale looked skinny and flat in "Underworld" while looking great and curvy in "Van Helsing" and "The Aviator".

I have "Weeds" recorded and ready to watch; will try and catch it tonight.

Hopefully MLP won't be talking out of the corner of her mouth like she did in "West Wing".

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Ahhh, thanks! She definately gained some assets

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't get the show but hopefully it will humanize the use of soft drugs enough that we can end one of our favorite endless wars.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
35,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes /forum/post/0

I don't get the show but hopefully it will humanize the use of soft drugs enough that we can end one of our favorite endless wars.

Enjoy.

In Santa Rosa, CA, the legal pot club is right across the street from City Hall...

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
In Santa Rosa, CA, keenan, I am surprised it is not IN City Hall

·
Banned
4,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/0

I thought it was... ok. Granted I missed the last two minutes so I have no idea what the heck happened in them. I thought it was going to be a lot funnier, but it really was rather dark.

The last two minutes were very funny.

Just watched this show. For the first 15 minutes, I wasn't sure if I was going to like this show and want to see it again. I almost thought about turning it off. But I persevered. And I'm glad I did. It just got funnier and cleverer scene after scene. And the last few minutes had me laughing at loud. I find this show and "Dead Like Me" very similar in the humor how good that humor made me feel.

I think this show will be a winner amongst those who enjoy this type of somewhat dark, but minimally so, humor. Really looking forward to the next episode.

·
Premium Member
35,993 Posts

Quote:

In Santa Rosa, CA, keenan, I am surprised it is not IN City Hall
I think in Willits, the gateway to the Emerald Triangle, it's even closer to the PD..

1 - 20 of 1091 Posts