AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekly numbers at DVDEmpire's "HD Wars" have been updated. It looks like Blu-ray has widened its lead over HD-DVD. The Current Number Are:


Format: HD-DVD Blu-Ray

Month: 42.58% 57.42% (+14.84% for Blu-ray)

Week: 41.94% 58.06% (+16.12% for Blu-ray)


It appears that Blu-ray is now selling at an increasing rate week over week. As mentioned in a previous post when speaking with a Bestbuy GM, he confirmed that in his stores that Blu-ray software was outselling HD-DVD software by a 3 to 1 margin. Also mentioned today by a Bestbuy employee that Blu-ray was indeed outselling HD-DVD.


As we have seen over the last 6 weeks, Blu-ray is selling at an exponential rate. Where do the Blu-ray supporters see Blu-ray's software sales in comparrison to HD-DVD's sales by April of 2007?


~Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Don't conveniently forget that HD hasn't had many "new releases" lately. When (IF) HD ever gets around to announcing new releases and when (IF) such releases are available for order/pre order, then we can get a more accurate reading. That being said, I won't be too sympathetic with HD if they never recover since, IMO, the current drought is totally unnecessary and unrealistic. But in the meantime, let's keep it real.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,265 Posts
I was thinking the same. HD DVD has been very slow as of late. When they both have the same amount of releases in the same week then it will mean something...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milit /forum/post/0


Don't conveniently forget that HD hasn't had many "new releases" lately. When (IF) HD ever gets around to announcing new releases and when (IF) such releases are available for order/pre order, then we can get a more accurate reading. That being said, I won't be too sympathetic with HD if they never recover since, IMO, the current drought is totally unnecessary and unrealistic. But in the meantime, let's keep it real.

Well as so many of my HD-DVD buddies here on AVS always say, "What About Now," not in the future. These numbers are present numbers, not numbers in the future. In all honesty, with the scheduled releases of BD discs coming out, I think this sales gap will continue to grow.


I think it is so funny hearing the HD-DVD Supporters now saying, "Just You Wait Until...."



~Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


Well as so many of my HD-DVD buddies here on AVS always say, "What About Now," not in the future. These numbers are present numbers, not numbers in the future. In all honesty, with the scheduled releases of BD discs coming out, I think this sales gap will continue to grow.


I think it is so funny hearing the HD-DVD Supporters now saying, "Just You Wait Until...."



~Josh

beatboy, this topic has nothing to do with "wait until" or trying to take a side. It is simply that the numbers right now will obviously favor BR since THERE IS PRECIOUS FEW NEW HD TITLES AVAILABLE. If there were an equal number of HD titles available, can you actually guarantee the numbers would be the same???? Stating the obvious serves no purpose. Like I said in my previous post, I am not sympathetic to HD for there sudden lack of interest/support, but if there is nothing to buy what else could the numbers show?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


Well as so many of my HD-DVD buddies here on AVS always say, "What About Now," not in the future. These numbers are present numbers, not numbers in the future. In all honesty, with the scheduled releases of BD discs coming out, I think this sales gap will continue to grow.


I think it is so funny hearing the HD-DVD Supporters now saying, "Just You Wait Until...."



~Josh

1. How did you arrive at the % growth for BD? It's not possible without actual data. Do you have units shipped?


2. Your BB data of 3:1 for BD is hard to believe and probably isn't even factually correct. I've been to so many BB stores and everywhere it appears that BD hardware is hardly moving and almost all stores claim to sell more HD DVD media or the same. Again, this is anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal....


3. What is DVD Empire's market share of overall sales? For instance how does it compare to Amazon?


I am not saying that BD could not be outselling HD DVD, but your single data point is not validation and while it may be true that at DVD Empire, BD rules the roost, the fact that many top selling titles such as ClerkII or Mummy Returns are not on the list at DVD Empire, leads me to believe that DVD Empire may not be a large share of the overall HD DVD business....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0


1. How did you arrive at the % growth for BD? It's not possible without actual data. Do you have units shipped?


2. Your BB data of 3:1 for BD is hard to believe and probably isn't even factually correct. I've been to so many BB stores and everywhere it appears that BD hardware is hardly moving and almost all stores claim to sell more HD DVD media or the same. Again, this is anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal....


3. What is DVD Empire's market share of overall sales? For instance how does it compare to Amazon?


I am not saying that BD could not be outselling HD DVD, but your single data point is not validation and while it may be true that at DVD Empire, BD rules the roost, the fact that many top selling titles such as ClerkII or Mummy Returns are not on the list at DVD Empire, leads me to believe that DVD Empire may not be a large share of the overall HD DVD business....


You said it...'anecdotal v. anecdotal'.......


That is all anyone has to argue with here. No hard figures are available for either side. What do you expect? IF DVD Empire and Amazon are selling more Blu Ray discs than HD DVD of late, then the anecdotal evidence is certainly of interest....but certainly still anecdotal to the overall unknown number.



*Propaganda is a reality is THE reality. As there are no facts, and hence, no truth....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,881 Posts
Plazman,


I see your point on "Clerks II" and "The Mummy Returns".


You get the same issues with the the best selling list for Blu Ray not including "employee of the month" and "Resident Evil Apocalypse".


So obviously your argument works for both sides.


What Blu Ray player do you own by the way???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0


1. How did you arrive at the % growth for BD? It's not possible without actual data. Do you have units shipped?


2. Your BB data of 3:1 for BD is hard to believe and probably isn't even factually correct. I've been to so many BB stores and everywhere it appears that BD hardware is hardly moving and almost all stores claim to sell more HD DVD media or the same. Again, this is anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal....


3. What is DVD Empire's market share of overall sales? For instance how does it compare to Amazon?


I am not saying that BD could not be outselling HD DVD, but your single data point is not validation and while it may be true that at DVD Empire, BD rules the roost, the fact that many top selling titles such as ClerkII or Mummy Returns are not on the list at DVD Empire, leads me to believe that DVD Empire may not be a large share of the overall HD DVD business....

1. The percentages are Blu-ray's percentage lead over HD-DVD for each statistical line.


2. I can only go by the statistics the GM of Bestbuy in my area gave me. He is a stand-up guy and I have no reason not to beleive him.


3. I am sure DVDEmpire's market share is small, much like Amazon's. Although the way they report sales is more consistent then Amazon IMO.


As for DVDEmpire.com not having Clerks II or The Mummy on the list, Look what I just found:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1262390

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...searchID=15405


So they are clearly for sale there. Why people are not buying them as much as other HD-DVD's, I do not know.


~Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Market share isn't important. As long as there's a statistically valid sample size (ie a decent level of customers) the trend is valid. However, we can't accuratly extrapolate Amazon's (or DVDempire's) sales to the entire market because price differences play a part. If BD is cheaper on DVDempire than amazon, then the results would skew toward them on empire and toward HD DVD on Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/0


Thats good? For a format with WAY more studio support that is GOOD? Wow.

Well, considering that Toshiba had a 6 month headstart (Nov/Dec was when BD was really introduced), the poor reception of the rushed early BD titles, and given the pricing disparity between HD-DVD and BD standalone players, I'd say that's remarkable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0


2. Your BB data of 3:1 for BD is hard to believe and probably isn't even factually correct. I've been to so many BB stores and everywhere it appears that BD hardware is hardly moving and almost all stores claim to sell more HD DVD media or the same. Again, this is anecdotal evidence v. anecdotal....

Blu-ray is outsellign HD at Best Buy, but as far as ratio I do not know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0


Also mentioned today by a Bestbuy employee that Blu-ray was indeed outselling HD-DVD.


~Josh

Having gone to several BB recently in my quest for a HTIB, I noticed this. The shelves containing HD-DVDs are full, while the Blu-ray shelves have few copies available. Whether it is due to increased sales or some other reason, BB doesn't seem to carry as many different titles as they do HD-DVDs. I have been unsuccessully looking for a copy of Ant Bully for a month now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer /forum/post/0


Having gone to several BB recently in my quest for a HTIB, I noticed this. The shelves containing HD-DVDs are full, while the Blu-ray shelves have few copies available. Whether it is due to increased sales or some other reason, BB doesn't seem to carry as many different titles as they do HD-DVDs. I have been unsuccessully looking for a copy of Ant Bully for a month now.

It is impossible to judge sales based on what's on the shelf. If Best Buy orders one copy of a catalog title on HD-DVD/DVD/Blu-Ray and I go buy that title, does that mean that title is a huge seller because it's not on the shelf when you go?


You have no idea what the inventory on hand was, how many they have sold, how many they originally stocked....


Nobody still has any sales data.


At my Best Buy, both the HD-DVD shelves and the Blu-Ray shelves are extremely full. They are full everytime I go. So... I guess neither format is selling. Right? That's actually probably closer to the truth....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 /forum/post/0


Well, considering that Toshiba had a 6 month headstart (Nov/Dec was when BD was really introduced), the poor reception of the rushed early BD titles, and given the pricing disparity between HD-DVD and BD standalone players, I'd say that's remarkable.

Oh! So now the 'real' release date of BR is Nov/Dec! Makes much more sense now! Lets forget about HD outselling BR 10:1 and all those ****** transfers on the BR side. Ok. I'm sorry. The Format war does not start until Sony says so. Just like the console war does not start until Sony has some decent games available and PS3s are not clogging shelf space.
 
1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top