AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To get the ball rolling. I thought it might be useful to centralize all the info concerning the best plasma deals.

Here are prices for frequently mentioned vendors and plasma models. If you know of cheaper price, please let me know. Also, if any one knows how to create a proper chart please let me know.

Code:
Code:
Model/Make      Plasma House    800Plasmas.com  Avdeals.com     Dell w/coupon
Panasonic
Code:
Code:
TH42WD4UY       4870            4375            4500            4513
Code:
Code:
PT50PD3       9360                 11320
Code:
Code:
TH50PHD3U       8064            7925            8150

NEC
Code:
Code:
42MP3           5145            5255            5400            4384
Code:
Code:
50MP2           8780            8625            8900            7718
Code:
Code:
50PD2           6504            6625            6600
Code:
Code:
61MP1           15160           15055           15750           13742
Pioneer
Code:
Code:
503CMX          7940                                            7105
Code:
Code:
PDP4330DH       6470
Note: All prices include shipping except for Dell, (whose calculator was offline). Amounts have been rounded up to the next highest dollar.

Tax, video cards (if required) and stands (if extra)are not included. The price for Dell assumes the 20% coupon would be honored for all models (a big maybe)

BTW, I am not affiliated with any vendor. Please feel free to post any corrections or updates.

Happy shopping!

I hope you find this useful

Richard

06-11 UPDATE: Dell did not charge shipping but did charge sales tax. (which can be even worse) In my case, the sales tax added approx $200 to the Panasonic 42". Since rates vary by state, this is not factored in the chart. This makes a fair comparison a little more difficult.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rschneider
Please feel free to post any corrections or updates.
I believe the correct name for the second vendor should be 1800Plasmas.com. They're the ones I purchased my Panny 42" from.

--kurt

·
Registered
183 Posts
Richard...

Can you please confirm that Dell is still selling the NEC 50MP2? I have looked at their website as of this morning and only see basically the Pioneer model in larger plasmas.

I ask because this is the model I want.

By the way, the MP2 50 inch is listed at $8,299 at LA Computers.com.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Disregard previous...

Found it

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In order to make this an apples to apples comparison, the NEC 50MP2 from LA computers is actually $8595 when the nearly $300 shipping charge is figured in.

When all totaled, it winds up $30 cheaper than 1-800 Plasmas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ahhh....but you forget the power of negotiating Richard.

You'll pay only what you can negotiate for!!

Pat

·
Registered
860 Posts
The TH50PHD3U is $7893 from PlasmaHouse.

Also, you might want to add the mp4 in, since it is listed at about 5 websites with wide variations in price. Best I have found is $5699 at COL Computer Online.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As long as many seem fixated on getting the absolute lowest cost on both the display and shipping costs, don't forget that paying by check or wire will almost always enhance your negotiating position, but increase the risk you assume. Credit cards absorb at least 2% of the cost of your display and therefore, on an $8500 NEC 50 you have at least $170 more "bandwidth" for negotiation with payment other than credit card.

The $300 shipping charge for an NEC 50MP2 is excessive by about 35-45% over the true cost of shipping, but as noted already in the LA Computer vs. 1800Plasmas comment, this excessive charge is usually mitigated by a lower product price.

In the final analysis, however, it might be better to pay slightly more to an internet dealer who charges a little more but knows the product comparisons and will spend some time trying to help you decide. They might not save you as much money on the first purchase, but their higher price and knowledge usually correlates with an enhanced longevity of their business, and they will be around to assist you in the future. Also, the longer you spend trying to find the absolute lowest price, the greater probability you have of encountering the "internet gypsies" whose proverbial web wagon will roll out of this realm of endeavor into another and largely intractable opportunity.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bravo Jeff...

Very well said!!

Pat

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nice effort, like we need more of here!

How's about adding Fujitsu displays to your list? ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
please do this weekly as Im thinking of getting one asap. Also can you post the coupon codes your using to calculate the price. That would be greatly apperciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff,

I agree that the lowest price does not necessarily equal the best value. But this should give you an indication as to the current state of plasma pricing. You are correct, price should not be the only consideration when making a purchase this big. But there are some who like the excitement of taking a risk to save $30. I have included web retailers with well regarded reputations along with a couple whose aren't as well known. this should provide a benchmark for those who want to know the pricing spreads. Your suggestion about negotiating another couple of points for a cash sale is a great idea.

Personally, I probably won't be buying from the lowest bidder, but I also won't pay a 70% premium for the privilege of purchasing from a Brick and Mortar.

Also, I was hoping this info might be an aid for those who might like to negotiate with a retailer they may already established a relationship with.

David,

The Panasonic TH50PHD3U from Plasma House is $7894 Before the $170 shipping charge is factored in. So for this comparison, it is $8064

I wish I could include more models, but the forum software make creating pricing matrices very difficult.

Richard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.