AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I got the right section here... I'm curious as to how much weight I could hang on drywall, given that I am using the appropriate anchors.

I've recently picked up a Peerless PM600 for the purpose of placing my 25lb. center channel above my TV, but in the event that the studs are placed as such that I'm not able to center the mount where I want it to be, I'm curious if I would be able to mount it on drywall without too much worry that it will break off and cause all kinds of mess. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
There are other anchoring methods that will produce strong results too (ie french cleet with many screws anchored, reinforced).

What is available for that speaker. I used door hinges on speakers I hang on the wall....worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
 http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products...lt.aspx#detail

^^ This is the speaker in question

There doesn't appear to be any method of mounting the speaker itself. I've looked at the rear of the speaker and it is oddly void of any threaded holes or anything else that I could use to mount it directly.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Is the TV a flat panel?

Also what about a shelf of some sort?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TV is a flat panel yes. I've looked at shelves for center speakers that sit atop a TV, but I've also heard horror stories about them failing and the speaker falling and causing all kinds of damage. They also may come in different sizes, but the only ones I've seen had a fairly low weight limit, significantly under that of my speaker, IIRC.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz83 /forum/post/18155684

Hopefully I got the right section here... I'm curious as to how much weight I could hang on drywall, given that I am using the appropriate anchors.

I've recently picked up a Peerless PM600 for the purpose of placing my 25lb. center channel above my TV, but in the event that the studs are placed as such that I'm not able to center the mount where I want it to be, I'm curious if I would be able to mount it on drywall without too much worry that it will break off and cause all kinds of mess. Any thoughts?

What size Drywall? 1/2 3/4 ETC... If you can catch a beam and use an appropriate size wingnut you should be fine. I have a Samsung 55 LCD Held up with one stud bolted and wingnuts holding the other 4 holes in 3/4 rock.

Before I hung the TV I hung off the bracket also a Peerless Bracket another 30 lbs or so of aluminum and I weigh 230.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
With a speaker that sticks out so far, that's a lot of rotational force rather than downward force, so I would definitely try to hit studs. You could run a piece of wood across to hit the studs, and then mount to that if you had to.

Otherwise I would use some rather hefty togglers, not just some cheesy drywall anchors, and even then I wouldn't want to be doing this exactly unless you had some longer vertical support.

I also like the suggested idea of a wider shelf, you can just put the shelf brackets wherever the studs are.

·
Registered
255 Posts
this will help: http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...cal/sure-wall/

you have 2 loads, shear and tension

the speaker will be in shear unless it starts to move

assuming 1/2" rock

use 2 anchors, maybe 3...

tension is 2 x 15 ~ 30 lbs or 45 with 3

shear is 2 x 40 ~ 80 lbs or 120 with 3

these have an ample safety factor built in

I like to put some gorilla glue on them as I screw them in...

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz83 /forum/post/18156116

The TV is a flat panel yes. I've looked at shelves for center speakers that sit atop a TV, but I've also heard horror stories about them failing and the speaker falling and causing all kinds of damage. They also may come in different sizes, but the only ones I've seen had a fairly low weight limit, significantly under that of my speaker, IIRC.

As you noted, the shelves that sit on the top of your tv are pretty flimsy looking (at least the ones that I have seen) and I would not trust them either.

Any reason you couldn't mount a shelf to the wall behind the tv?

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18157129

You could run a piece of wood across to hit the studs, and then mount to that if you had to.

I also like the suggested idea of a wider shelf, you can just put the shelf brackets wherever the studs are.

This is what I would do. I would make sure at least one wall bolt was into a stud.

We mounted JMLab Mini Utopia's on the ceiling once for a customer, but those were mounted directly into the ceiling beams (vaulted ceiling).

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
10 lbs. No, 12 lbs. Wait, is this old drywall or new drywall, and how thick is it? It comes in different thicknesses.

If it's thin old drywall and got wet, it may not even hold a single lb. New drywall that's 5/8ths thick or better could probably hold 15 lbs with two screws (using drywall screws). There are many ways to screw drywall, ya' know?

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...lfasteners.htm

Dammit, it is just to hard to say without a measuring tape and a triple beam scale. I'd just look for a stud, invite him over for a beer, and let him put up the speakers.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios /forum/post/18170465

10 lbs. No, 12 lbs. Wait, is this old drywall or new drywall, and how thick is it? It comes in different thicknesses, you know?

If it's old drywall and got wet, it may not even hold a single lb. New drywall that's 5/8ths thick or better could probably hold 15 lbs with two screws (using drywall screws). There are many ways to screw drywall, ya' know?

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...lfasteners.htm

Dammit, it is just to hard to say without a measuring tape and a triple beam scale. I'd just look for a stud, invite him over for a beer, and let him put up the speakers.
Yep Hit one Stud and Toggle and whoops, Wingnut sorry I always call them toggles, Big Toggles on the rest. If you afraid of vibration use some Locktite on the screws its will not vibrate out then.

Toggles LOL I always mess this up not wingnuts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.