AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I wasn't sure how to word the title to convey the right question but here goes. Sometime possibly in the near future I am thinking about getting a nice sub upgrade. I do as much reading and research as I can and two of the subs I will mention are thought of as very highly on this board. This isn't a sub vs sub question, but just a learning question. Now two of my finalists are the SVS PB13 Ultra and Hsuresearches ULS-15.

Now from what I gather these are comparable subs right? Not starting a this is better than that, or this is what I prefer but it isn't a stretch to say they are comparable is it?

Now to the meat of my question if these are indeed comparable subs. Why is the weight of the PB13 155 pounds compared to 93 pounds on the ULS-15? Now I am pretty new to the sub world and I'm not so naive to think that more weight automatically means better performance but this seems like a large gap to me. 62 pounds on comparable subs? Considering I want to run dual subs that is a whopping 124 pounds difference.

Now I am not concerned about lifting or moving. I am just wondering why such a weight difference? Could someone point out why there is such a difference.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
The PB13 is a larger box made from heavy MDF (particle board) as are most subs. These two are made out of thicker MDF, so the more material used, the heavier the sub. Bigger boxes should have more internal bracing. Also made of MDF and adding to the total weight. Some of the weight difference is in the driver and/or the amp, but these two are probably pretty close. Also, some give the shipping weight which is based on the actual weight plus a weight adjustment for container size.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My guess is that a lot of the weight differential is related to the drivers. The svs pc ultra weighs 90 lbs and the cylinder itself is relatively light compared to a MDF box. Shipping weight on it is 105 lbs.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15452906

My guess is that pb13 will have advantage in output but the ULS will have the advantage in SQ.

Totally off track from the question.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15453003

From the quoted question?

The OP is making a generalization of the comparable performance of the two as far as overall performance. Not about specific qualities. He is trying to understand why two 'comparable' subs would weigh so different. He could just as easily asked why the eD A7S-450 and the A7-450 don't weigh the same. If the A7-450's specs were still up on the site. I think both used or could have the same driver and amp, so the difference would be the enclosure.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yeah but I quouted a question from his text and answered it. Whats illogical about that? I know it wasnt the topic of the thread but every sentence with a question mark on the end is meant to be given a response. Just like this one:
Quote:
62 pounds on comparable subs?

One of them is sealed and the other is ported. Ported subs require a bigger enclosure for the otherwise comparable drivers (not saying they are in this case as it is unknown).

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15453093

Yeah but I quouted a question from his text and answered it. Whats illogical about that? I know it wasnt the topic of the thread but every sentence with a question mark on the end is meant to be given a response. Just like this one:

You will make a fine reporter for the NY Times someday.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15452906

My guess is that pb13 will have advantage in output but the ULS will have the advantage in SQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/15452927

Totally off track from the question.

i don't think it's off track, as the OP seems to be questioning performance differences relative to weight differences....BUT...

my question to CADOBHuk is how did you come to this conclusion?

is it the simple fact that one is ported and one is sealed...?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Part of the Ultra's heft is due to the weight of the driver. It weighs 55 lbs! It's a real beast.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/15454314

Part of the Ultra's heft is due to the weight of the driver. It weighs 55 lbs! It's a real beast.

do you know whats the Xmax on them?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowcarIX /forum/post/15454358

do you know whats the Xmax on them?

I wish I did. I know from my own observations it can really move.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok good information guys. Basically we are looking at bigger box because of ported and not sealed. More material as far as wood and braces. Then throw in some shipping weight from a big container and voila. Thanks for the answers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts