AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a weird problem in media player and I am looking for some help. I have several avi and mpg files that are acting funny. I have setup media player to monitor the folders they are, and they are automatically added to the library. However when you look at the thumbnails they list a duration of 0 seconds. When I click on them, they do begin to play, however when you try to skip ahead on them, it reverts right back to the begining, and the FFD, RWD buttons do not work.

If I launch the files directly from Windows Explorer they play fine, and can skip ahead

This does not happen with all files, just some. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
When files won't FF and/or REW, it is most likely a time stamp issue in the header. If you have a copy of VideoReDo run quickstream fix on the mpg files and it will clean them up. VLC will sometimes tell you it needs to repair an avi file and I think you can use Virtual Dub to repair them, as well,but I have never used it. What is the source of these files?

BB

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16978148

When files won't FF and/or REW, it is most likely a time stamp issue in the header. If you have a copy of VideoReDo run quickstream fix on the mpg files and it will clean them up. VLC will sometimes tell you it needs to repair an avi file and I think you can use Virtual Dub to repair them, as well,but I have never used it. What is the source of these files?

BB

I tried those and none of the worked. I don't think it is actually a problem with the file because as I said, I can open them from explorer and they play fine in Media Player, it just when I open the directly from the Media Player library that the problem exists.

Does anyone know of any good free programs for organizing video files? I have used VLC and MPC but none of them have a library function and I don't want to have to navigate to a file anytime I want to play it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/16980396

I tried those and none of the worked. I don't think it is actually a problem with the file because as I said, I can open them from explorer and they play fine in Media Player, it just when I open the directly from the Media Player library that the problem exists.

Does anyone know of any good free programs for organizing video files? I have used VLC and MPC but none of them have a library function and I don't want to have to navigate to a file anytime I want to play it.

If you are on Vista Premium you can use Media Center with the Media Browser plugin. Or you can also use any other front end like XBMC of Media Portal to do the same thing. Combine those with a meta scraper like Salami Movie Organiser, Media Scout (for TV shows) and you'll get all the data including the poster available.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16980477

If you are on Vista Premium you can use Media Center with the Media Browser plugin. Or you can also use any other front end like XBMC of Media Portal to do the same thing. Combine those with a meta scraper like Salami Movie Organiser, Media Scout (for TV shows) and you'll get all the data including the poster available.

Thanks

I should have said that this really isn't my HTPC I am having this problem on. I already use Media Browser for that.

This is just really my office PC were I have a couple of short videos, not movies, that I want to be able to play easily in something like Mediaplayer. I don't need them tagged or have cover art for them, but I would like them is a sort of jukebox type program. I know j. River will do it, but I don't really want to spend a ton of money to just play these files.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.