AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out progressive component on a Z1 today via a Pioneer 737. The picture was wonderful.

BUT there were some faint but fat horizontal bands on the left side of the picture. They only stretched about an 1/8th of the way across but were a little distracting. They weren't there on an interlaced component or s-video feed, weird?!.

It could be my Pioneer or the Z1??? Anyone else noticed anything else like this??

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would first try another DVD player and see if the problem persists, or connect your DVD player to another progressive-capable display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed very faint banding on the Z1, running from all sources, not enought to bother me, but it is there if you look for it.

Nick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nphnet
Hi,

I have noticed very faint banding on the Z1, running from all sources, not enought to bother me, but it is there if you look for it.

Nick.
I saw very faint vertical banding as well. This was more noticable and seemed worst on red scenes, thick horizontal bands. Are you seeing these Nick??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I havent noticed any faint bands on mine at all. If its there on all sources, swap for a new one. I dont think thats normal. Did you do the obvious and check all your settings to be sure nothing is out of whack.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sara
What is vertical banding?. I do not want to recommend this projector to a friend if it has problems :confused:
Well, I guess you won't be able to recommend any projector since every single consumer grade projector on this planet has one problem or another.:)

I'd say the problem being discussed sounds like an issue with that specific projector, not the model itself. And if it is vertical banding being discussed well, most LCDs have it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify things, vertical banding is a non-issue imho on this pj, it's practically non-existant.

We tried the Z1 in question today with a laptop (powerstrip/dvd etc ), wow!

As previously stated the only "fault" I can find is with progressive component from a Pioneer 737, occasional faint horizontal bands on the r.side of the picture ( worst on red scenes )

All other inputs, interlaced component, s-video,vga no problems to report.

I wanted to see if this was a common phenomenon as I'm wondering if my dvd player is at fault??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a little vertical banding from time to time as well on a HTPC (70hz). After adapting the front porch, back porch, sync width and refresh rate (60hz) with powerstrip the banding was gone, subtitles razorsharp and a very fluid image.

If you want maximum quality go for HTPC. Make sure you run the pc at the same resolution as the projector. So i think that banding problems on the Z1 are due to the source for a great deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the banding the gaps between pixels on the display?. If I look real close on my television I can see gaps too. I can live with this as I watch tv from great distance. Will I see bands from 14 feet on a projector? :(

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did you try the Horizontal Size adjustment (or whatever they call it in this menu)? It's actually a synch adjustment and might be causing banding, though it's usually evenly repeated across the entire screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.