AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these Jamo Concert Vs and am really enjoying their sound. This problem has come up with them though. It seems like the left one is playing high frequencies and the right one is playing lower frequencies. Shifting the balance left and right is pretty weird sounding! high tone, low tone, high tone, low tone

Has anyone had this issue before? What can I do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Unless you just happen to be playing a stereo track that has treble and bass segregated by channel (not likely), it sounds like the tweeter is out on one of your speakers. Just place your ear next to the tweeter on the speaker without high tones and see if you hear anything. If not, the first thing to check is whether a wire has slipped off its terminal on the tweeter. The tweeter should come right out if you take off the mounting screws. Do everything carefully--no yanking. If both wires are attached to the tweeter, then I don't think there's anything else you can check without voiding the warranty. You'll have to get it back to the factory, distributor, dealer, seller, or whatever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dennis, I'll pull em apart and see if i can find the issue. Fortunately, as I saved $1225 on them, they are from the '70s; unfortunately there is no warranty to speak of now. I've had the crossover out before and it definitely seems to be an issue around the binding post with continuity in the left speaker which is lacking bass. Who knows what's wrong with the other but first I will check the tweeter as you say.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42haybails /forum/post/19622273

Thanks, Dennis, I'll pull em apart and see if i can find the issue. Fortunately, as I saved $1225 on them, they are from the '70s; unfortunately there is no warranty to speak of now. I've had the crossover out before and it definitely seems to be an issue around the binding post with continuity in the left speaker which is lacking bass. Who knows what's wrong with the other but first I will check the tweeter as you say.

HI I may have misunderstood your post. It sounded like one was playing just low tones, while the other was playing both high and low. But maybe you're saying one is just playing high, with no bass, and the other is playing both. So I'm cornfused. If you stick your ear to each of the drivers in each speaker, which one isn't working?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally the left speaker had finicky bass output but they were fine otherwise. Now the right cabinet has a faulty tweeter. Took it apart and the tinsel is broken

Where can I get replacement drivers for these? I may take it in and see if someone can solder it.

Oh wait just found some Vifa silk dome tweeters. Will see if they'll fit. Are the T/S parameters going to differ enough that the crossover is thrown off? Or should it be negligible and sound good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vifas worked great!

Took off the binding posts and retightened them etc, seems fine now. The room is definitely having an effect and that may have been the majority of the bass issue right there.

Delete thread if you like

1 - 7 of 7 Posts