AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've lurked for ages but never really posted much.

I have a bit of an issue that has confounded me. I've considered resetting my receiver, but would REALLY like to avoid doing that at this point.

A brief overview:

I have a home-built PC with an ATi 5770 in it connected (over HDMI) to an Onkyo TX-SR805. The cable between the two is short, so I don't believe that's the issue (other reasons for this, see below.)

Whenever I switch from one input to the PC, or turn the receiver on and switch to the PC (after a fair period of inactivity), there is a "buzzing" noise that comes through all speakers connected to the receiver.

This buzzing disappears after playing ANY sound--adjusting the volume on the PC, smashing my keyboard until the "ding ding ding" plays, literally, anything. It then goes away and does not return until I change the inputs again.

Any idea what this could be and how to fix it?

This wasn't an issue when I first set everything up, I'm not sure when it cropped up.

Thanks!

Trevor

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorCounceller /forum/post/19563373

Any suggestions? Even methods to troubleshoot would be appreciated (e.g., how to isolate where the sound is originating from).

If not, it might be time to call Onkyo...

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like that 805 doesn't have the latest firmware for it. This is an older AVR but it doesn't mean that it came with the latest and greatest firmware. There is a thread here for Onkyo/Integra Firmware updates that is also rather old. Do a search and it will pop up for you. Getting the firmware for it, if it needs it, may be another thing though. The thread will explain to you on how to check which firmware you have and how to fix it. Good luck and hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19564256

Sounds like that 805 doesn't have the latest firmware for it. This is an older AVR but it doesn't mean that it came with the latest and greatest firmware. There is a thread here for Onkyo/Integra Firmware updates that is also rather old. Do a search and it will pop up for you. Getting the firmware for it, if it needs it, may be another thing though. The thread will explain to you on how to check which firmware you have and how to fix it. Good luck and hope this helps in some way.

After a bit of research, I have firmware 1.06, which has the popping noise corrected. Also, this isn't when streaming DTS-HD audio--it occurs on my desktop (regardless of what the computer is doing.) That said, I am going to upgrade to 1.08 simply for the faster audio lock-in times. Thank you for the recommendation.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I've isolated the issue (sort of.) It ONLY occurs when the TV is on--if I'm listening to music through the PC with no TV, there's not a problem.

Heard back from Onkyo, they said something along the lines of, "These sorts of compatibility issues are why we don't recommend using that receiver with PCs/HDMI." Translation: Upgrade time!

Seeing as that's out of the question, I guess I'll just have my remote Auto-Mute whenever I first turn on the TV+PC. Going to get an IR controller for the PC at some point, I'll add something at the end of the switching activity to make a noise.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated greatly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.