AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have aweird problem with my new Sanyo Z700 projector. I have curved lines of alternating colors (white/lighter and dark/red-ish) (the pattern is similar to a fingerprint). It shows more when the video is lighter.

If i shake the screen, the lines moves around in different shapes. If I touch the projector the lines moves, often faster than the actual picture. I cant see the pattern when projecting on the wall behind.

These clues points to the screen, but i have never seen anything like this with my old projector (Sanyo Z3).

It is also weird that they increse in strength and almost disappear depending on what angle I look at the screen. And the alternating lines invertes their colors from different angles (lighter->redish, redish->lighter)

Anybody have a clue what it can be?

Thanks!

/Gunnar

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Glad I could help. Based on what I've read there are a few ways to try and eliminate this effect - defocusing the image slightly, moving the projector slightly and having the manufacturer cut the material to an angle so the pixels don't line up with the perforations. These issues are rare so I doubt you'll have any further problems if you get a new screen, but the only way to know for sure is to either try it or find someone with the same screen/projector combo that isn't seeing this effect. I would recommend posting this question in the screens subforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=23

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Moire effectively happens when you attempt to display something of a higher spatial resolution by use of a medium of lower spatial resolution capabilities. It actually happens with our eyes, most notice it when looking at a fence at an extreme angle, or in some video games when the texture is higher resolution than your monitor (though mipmaps should take care of this), or with digital imagery when downsampling...etc.

As such, the only way to get rid of moire is to:

1.) Decrease the resolution of the display. Which defocusing the projector will do.

or 2.) Increase the displayable resolution of the display medium (aka your screen).

You may be able to diffuse the moire effect by trying different angles and so on... but the very fact that you're seeing them shows that you're suffering a resolution loss. So i'd recommend just getting a new screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts