AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here not long ago about getting a antenna. Some background. I live in Lafayette, IN trying to get Indy stations about 40 miles away or so. I bought a RS VU-90 XR Ant. and put it in my Attic. I could only get one station 8-1, 8-2 at about 30%...

Well today I put on a Winegard AP-8275 preamp. Now I get channel 8-1, 8-2 at about 70% or so, but it constantly drops out to 0-10%. Its not steady at all. I also now get channel 46 (13-1, 13-2), but it drops up and down from 0-10 to 70-80 percent.

Anyideas why it would do this?

Shane

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sounds odd. Im guessing here, but maybe its amplifying multi-path? Or bringing up the noise floor also? Or perhaps the amp doesnt have enough bandwidth for digital tv signals. I have used the Blonder Tongue line amp with much success.

Bob

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What's happening with the weather there? If you can, you would be far better off if you could put the antenna outside and higher in the air (as if you did not already know this?).

I think 40 miles is a bit much for an attic antenna. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weather been cloudy overcast. Nothing much was going on last night.

I was trying to watch a few things and noticed that the strength meter was staying stron at about 70% but it was pixiling and droping sound like crazy. Yet the bars never moved. I'm confused. without the preamp I was only at about 30% but it hardly every dropped.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just my opinion here but, at 40 miles, you will never get reception without dropouts and blocking. With an outdoor highly directional antenna and a rotator, (providing you have a good line of sight) you should get 99 percent reception and near perfect reception..if the transmitters are sending out a strong signal.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Shane,

I think you went overboard on the preamp.The 8275 has more gain than you need and the output capability is too low to handle your local CH18,plus other high -power analog Indy stations,causing intermod distortion amongst the other UHF channels.The AP8700 would have been a better choice.

At this point I would suggest concentrating on [UHF only] because you have a local CBS digital station(or will have shortly,if they're not back on the air yet).If you can put up a uhf-only antenna outside,like a small CM 4-bay 4221,that would be your best bet,and only use a low gain/high output preamp if absolutely neccessary.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was begining to wonder if that preamp was to much. I was going to buy a CM7777, but they were out at starkelectronic and sold me this one instead. My only problem is the wife is really not wanting a antenna outside so I'm trying to do this via the attic.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My opinion..but, at 40 miles, do not believe you will get UHF/digital stations without dropouts and blocking. Your signal will not be strong enough to overcome these things plus possibly mutipath, if present.

·
Registered
238 Posts
what type of STB? My OTA reception - signal strength - fluctuated quite a bit until i got a cooling fan - that stabilized the reception quite a bit...it's not perfect, but if you get in the 70s and stable - the picture should be pretty good.

I can't comment on the attic and the mileage to the towers - i'm closer and on top of a hill.

Kendal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.