AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently bought a 50" 720p Pioneer from "Tweeter". I forget the exact model #, but I think it is 5016 (anyhow it is NOT the Elite model). The damn thing is making some bizzare high-pitch noise, something like a whining/ringing/buzzing type of noise. It is not from the speakers, it is coming from the back of the unit. I have no idea what is causing it, and I can not always reproduce it (it seems to vary). Sometimes when I am watching the news at "normal" volumes, it is louder than the newscasters voice.

Has anyone experienced this before? Will it eventually go away? Should I call a service tech for warranty repair?

TIA

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does this noise especially occurs if there is a lot of white on the screen? IF you have a movie with a lot of white like Ice Age try to see if it get louder?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic(tm) /forum/post/0

Does this noise especially occurs if there is a lot of white on the screen? IF you have a movie with a lot of white like Ice Age try to see if it get louder?

Hmm, good question, I will look into it. What I can tell you, is that when it does happen, there needs to be some signal going into it. If I shut off my D* HD-DVR, when the Pioneer's screen goes dark and little screen saver "bad signal" message pops up, then the noise disappears. And it does seems to happen more frequently with things like news (which are much brighter than movies).

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness /forum/post/0

Hmm, good question, I will look into it. What I can tell you, is that when it does happen, there needs to be some signal going into it. If I shut off my D* HD-DVR, when the Pioneer's screen goes dark and little screen saver "bad signal" message pops up, then the noise disappears. And it does seems to happen more frequently with things like news (which are much brighter than movies).

It is no secret that plasma's will buzz, especially louder on bright scenes. If you are hearing it easily from a distance then you probably should contact tweeter, (especially if it is from your viewing distance). I watched Ice Age 2 last night, and heard no buzz what-so-ever from 1-2 feet away, let alone my ~10ft viewing distance, (I have a 5071HD).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0

Some people have experienced buzzing in the back of their sets. What volume level is "normal"? 15, 20? If it's that bad, contact Tweeter & see about an exchange.

This is a complicated question. Last week when I first bought the unit, I didn't have the D* HD installed yet. So using the SD S-Cable feed and analog stereo RCA cables, I would usually listen to the Pioneers speakers in the 20s range. Now with the HD HDMI cable, it varies WILDLY from channel to channel. Some channels seem very low now, and I have to crank the volume to as high as 40! {very weird} But I think you get the general idea, I don't listen to it very loud.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness /forum/post/0

, I would usually listen to the Pioneers speakers in the 20s range. Now with the HD HDMI cable, it varies WILDLY from channel to channel. Some channels seem very low now, and I have to crank the volume to as high as 40! {very weird}

If you can hear you buzz over the volume in the 20's it's pretty loud. I would find that very annoying & be asking for a fix or returning it for another. FWIW, I can not hear any rear panel buzzing from my panel even with it on mute!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:

If you can hear you buzz over the volume in the 20's it's pretty loud. I would find that very annoying & be asking for a fix or returning it for another. FWIW, I can not hear any rear panel buzzing from my panel even with it on mute!

Same here, unless I actually stick my head behind the set and try to find it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

I will have to look into Tweeters exchange policy, if it is 30 days then I have 2 more weeks to see if this problem clears up. I did some googling, and this seems to be an occasional complaint with Pioneers. Maybe Tweeter will be familiar with the cause.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

Just don't wait to long, as if it is anything like BB, exchanging a set does not reset your 30 days, so if you get something worst then your at the mercy of having it repaired.

Ugh, I tried to reproduce the problem last night without sucess. I am guessing that it is a waste of time to have Tweeters tech come out, if I can't reliably reproduce the problem. I went through this wild goose chase thing with my Toshiba 42" ED unit, when I was getting an intermittent "Techinicolor Snow" issue (again not reliably reproduceable). Grr...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.