AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read about how much fun doody is having with his PRO1000 and 5002 board, I am becoming more and more convinced to go with the 503 or Pro due to the dvi port.

Originally I was convinced to do the panny 50 because of the contrast, but the digital sounds even better.

In an effort to give the panny one more shot, does anyone know what the weird end plug does. (drawing attached) Is it some sort of digital weird input that with some sort of adapter will be as cool as the 5002 dvi port?

The panny manual states, that "the CONTROLLER TUNER input terminal is reserved for use with future external compatible components." Any ideas what this means?

Peter

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Alexander,

It's for tuner boxes. There are quite a few Panny tuner boxes (for HDTV, for UK with RGsB & SCART inputs and more).

It has been primarily targeted at European users, who need these tuner boxes for signal conversion.
Alex,

Thanks for your inputs. Do you know of any specific tuner box models or urls that I could look up to have a better look?

thanks,

Peter

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
Note the Tuner input terminal SHARES the S-video input on the display- it does not give you an additional input port- I dont think there is a U.S. NTSC version available

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Tuner input is *only* applicable in the US! In Japan and Europe there are no devices that will attach to this port. But in the US there are. BTW Mark, why do you say the tuner port replaces the s-video connection? I didn't think that was the case. I thought the panny has 4 basic circuits:

RGB/Comonent

PC (VGA)

s-video/composite

Tuner.

Anyway, heres the URL you all want:

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/Operat.../TUPTA500U.PDF

Cheers,

Chip

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
Hi Chip- in the manual there is a section about using the tuner input connector- it states it is on same circuit as S-video and takes precedence if connected

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Chippy99-

Thanks for the link - I will add, that this 26 pin tuner port does NOT come on the TH-42PWD4UY. Yet it appears to come on both consumer models and the TH-50PHD3U commercial model. Isn't that kind of strange?

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chippy-99

Thanks for the answer! The weird port on the panny question has been answered.

Don't think I'd buy it though, the tuner that is. They should have matched it up with the TU-HDS20 instead, as well as provided for a DVI port. These two design omissions make the plasmas such as the 503 and 5001 far more attractive, at least for me.

Again, thanks for the great answer.:)

Peter

Quote:
Anyway, heres the URL you all want:

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/Operat.../TUPTA500U.PDF

Cheers,

Chip

·
Registered
214 Posts
Compromise:

The TH-42PW4 has the capability to accept 3 different types of terminal boards: 1. composite & component video jacks (comes standard) 2. one with a special 26-pin D-sub connector (part number TY-42TM4H) for use with the TU-PTA500U or 3. one with a DVI & composite video interface (TY-42PWD4UY).

If you look at the 4 corners of the terminal boards, you will see small screws at opposite corners that maybe removed and a small silver handle that is used to grip the board for removal.

These are mentioned in the Panasonic Sales catalog as:

"Terminal boards must be installed by professional service personnel."

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I blew it! I went out and purchased the 503CMX before I logged back in to see this board for the panny. Does the board fit the 50? If so, then I probably really blew it because Dell had the panny for $9.2k. Got the 503 on the dell sale for a great price (8.4) Is it still going on? Haven't looked yet. Might get sick.

But the 503 is great anyway, and I love it. Although I am dissappointed with the zoom. It really needs less, like adjustable 1.1.

Also got the speakers and the tilt mount. Speaker driver is a dissappointment also. But thats ok because I have 400W behind it.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.