AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just bought the Sony and swapped it out after the first one apparently acted eratic. However, the second unit is doing exactly the same thing. He has a ROUND dish, not the oval, but I don't think that would explain this behavior. He very often gets a "searching for satellite signal" when simply changing channels. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. I went over and looked at the way he set it up and can't find any problems. The behavior is mirrored when you look at signal strength on the transponders. All of a sudden you'll go from a signal of 96 to 0. He has a second older RCA receiver hooked up to the same dish and has no problems.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
972 Posts
That sounds vaguely similar to my problem. I swapped my Sony B55 with the HD100 and I get "Searching for satellite signal" on almost every regular DirecTV channel. Every even transponder shows a signal strength of 0.

Did your friend try to run the system tests? Mine fails the signal and tuning tests.

When I plug my old B55 back in everything works fine again.

Bryan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Searching for Satellite Signal is *ALWAYS* a signal strength problem, and 99.99% of the time, it's a flakey cable, connector, or grounding block.

Loss of even transponders is USUALLY a marginal cable or connector.

Try running a different known-good cable to the LNB, or replace segments from the IRD to the multiswitch (if you have one), then the multiswitch to the grounding block (if you have one), then grounding block to the LNB.

Verify that all the cable is RG/6 or better. RG/59 drops too much voltage (and signal).

If you have a meter, check the voltage coming out of the "Sat In" connector. It should sweep up & down from +13VDC to +18VDC. If the box does this, it's bad cable, connectors, or grounding block or a bad LNB (possible but not likely).

Transient "Searching for Satellite Signal" messages seem to happen alot with Sony boxes. IMHO, they're a little light in the power section and don't have the drive of most of the other IRDs. If you're using a relay-based multiswitch, the lack of drive in the Sony doesn't kick the multiswitch enough to switch it (or switch fast enough).

Good Luck

Scott

[This message has been edited by ScottMac (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same thing it was a loose ground block. It drove me crazy because one reciever would always work and the HD one wouldn't. I belive the problem lies in the potential difference between ground and earth. In my case it was 70 volts. Problem was correctted by either eliminating the grounding block (not recommended) or by tighten it up.

jm

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'm passing it along. jm, you're problem sounded identical to my friends. Was your HD box the Sony?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had it happen with both my Sony and RCA. I thought for sure I had a bad multiswitch. Swapped it also same problem. My block was just loose on a water pipe. And as i slide it it would say searching for signal. It would go from locked at 88 to 0. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If it is indeed a ground block problem, any idea why my B55 receiver works perfectly while the HD100 does not work? This is using the same DirecTV source.

Thanks,

Bryam

·
Registered
22 Posts
No notsure why, but my other reciever worked fine also it was an older sony BA3? or something like that and never had the problem. Not sure how all the control signals work with the 22Khz tone selection and stuff, but it may have something to do with that.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.