AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newcomer to these forums (though I have read quite a bit while doing research - thank you!)


I got a Sony KDF60XBR950 LCD projection TV just over a month ago. Suddenly, yesterday, when I fired it up there's a big red/purple "X" on the screen. It looks like someone took a sharpie and a ruler and drew a bunch of parallel lines, in a diagonal "X" shape; it almost looks fractal. It seems to be on the projection layer - definitely not the signal, since it happens on all input sources, all channels. Fired the TV up again today, same problem. The "X" is not increasing in size but it makes the TV pretty much unwatchable.


I have the warranty guys coming out tomorrow to take a look, but I'd love any info up front; anyone have any idea what this could be? Should I be screaming for a new TV, or is this something that's fixable? (I did get the extended warranty, fortunately.) Is this a known problem with the XBR's / LCD projection TVs? I just don't want the tech to tell me a bunch of stuff that's incorrect.


I'll attempt to attach a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I will be the first to say I know little about Sonly LCD television; yet in color photography I used Cyan as a subtractive color element. Since Sonly uses 3 LCDs for their color monitors my guess is that you have a defective LCD screen and the other two LCD screens are alright. I think you won a new set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
Similar problem thread


You'll be wanting a replacement, the panel is toast. This problem seems to be a recurring one on the Sony LCDs.


QB
In the beginning of that thread they guessed a panel was toast. By the end a few people said it was the Light Engine which cost from $800 to $1000 + labor. ouch!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and the winner is....


New "light engine". Or rather, "a whole new optics assembly", according to the Best Buy tech who came to look at it this morning. Thanks for the link to the other forum - it was very useful for me to know that this is a known problem. The tech "wasn't surprised" to see it. They said they'll order the part from Sony, and it should be here by UPS within 2-3 days, at which point a tech will come and install it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Sorry to hear that; hope it does not take them to long to get the engine and fix you set. I wonder if they fixed that in the SXRD sets coming out or if a 5 year warranty will be part of the cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm beginning to agree with what they say on the other forum - Sony is using their customer base as beta testers for new technologies, and assuming that the extended warranty, which for other appliances is a waste of money, is actually part of the cost of buying their TV. Shame on Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by effwun
...and the winner is....


New "light engine". Or rather, "a whole new optics assembly", according to the Best Buy tech who came to look at it this morning. Thanks for the link to the other forum - it was very useful for me to know that this is a known problem. The tech "wasn't surprised" to see it. They said they'll order the part from Sony, and it should be here by UPS within 2-3 days, at which point a tech will come and install it.
I believe the Light Engine and the LCD panels are one unit. They are not going to replace a single panel, instead they replace the whole unit. Replacing a single panel would require all sorts of convergence and other adjustments. The Light Engine has all three panels properly adjusted at the factory.


Its no big deal (under warranty). I've seen LCOS and DLP light engines replaced too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolfman
I believe the Light Engine and the LCD panels are one unit. They are not going to replace a single panel, instead they replace the whole unit. Replacing a single panel would require all sorts of convergence and other adjustments. The Light Engine has all three panels properly adjusted at the factory.


Its no big deal (under warranty). I've seen LCOS and DLP light engines replaced too.
That's pretty much what the tech said - they're going to replace "the whole light engine" which, in his words, is "most of the TV". He also said the same as you about it being calibrated correctly at the factory. I asked him if I should get a pro in to calibrate it after installation but he said that's not necessary if one's not experiencing things like overscan or picture stretching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by effwun
I asked him if I should get a pro in to calibrate it after installation but he said that's not necessary if one's not experiencing things like overscan or picture stretching.
Another way of saying.."..if no one has been in the service menu, messing with the settings."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: after nearly two weeks, the Best Buy tech came and installed the part. (It took several days for the part to get here, then another couple days to get an appointment.)


Apparently the part, the "optical assembly", costs $1800 :eek: (but it's covered under my warranty)


The tech said he also had to change some kind of circuit board thing - it looked a bit like a hard drive - since the new one would be correctly calibrated for this particular assembly.


I felt kinda sorry for the guy - he was struggling with it for 2 hours. I can see that Sony doesn't make it easy in the new models - he had to remove layers and layers of panels to get to the component; there were little screws everywhere.


At least it's working now though, until the "roadmap" comes back! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh - I forgot. While he was here, I asked the tech if he'd mind doing a "calibration" since he'd just replaced the optical assembly. He started playing around with the regular TV controls - brightness, etc. I told him I've heard (on this forum and other places!) that the Sonys are not that well calibrated out of the factory, and that with a good calibration (via the service menu) they can look amazing. He told me they're warned not to go messing with the service menu. Sheesh. If even the techs aren't supposed to be in there, what's the point of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by effwun
He told me they're warned not to go messing with the service menu. Sheesh. If even the techs aren't supposed to be in there, what's the point of it?
> He probably said that to avoid doing a calibration for you. Seeing as it was a service call and not a specific ISF calibration, he probably didn't have the equipment to even do a calibration.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top