AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By pure luck, I uncovered the reason I can NOT pick up channel 3 HDTV (i.e. VHF).

I have the following in my house:

Comcast cable --> 20 db signal amplifier --> splitters --> all rooms in house --> HDTV antenna A port on TV

Attic antenna --> SAME double coax wallplate --> Mits 1080 HD receiver --> DTV port on TV (RGB and H/V synch)

Get this. I have NOT been able to pick up Channel 3 for 6+ months. So, I got adventurous, disconnected the cable 20db amplifier completely (left cable TV coax dangling/unconnected) and connected this same amplifier in-line with my antenna OTA coax at the double coax wall plate. Checked HD reception and it's WORSE. I lost a few channels, 1 other now pixellates.

OK. The signal amplifier doesn't look like it will help HD OTA antenna reception.

I reconnect everything as was EXCEPT I do NOT plug the signal amp. into the 120 A/C plug. I go upstairs to see how fuzzy my regular cable reception is and it's really not too bad (I could almost go without the amp). BUT, I now get channel 3 better than ever (signal strength check). I get curious and go down and plug in the signal amp to the A/C outlet and channel 3 immediately disappears. Simply plugging in the amp into the outlet makes channel 3 and channel 19 HD OTA go completely away EVEN THOUGH THE AMP IS ON A DIFFERENT COAX than the OTA COAX. It does NOT affect any other channels but those.

So, somehow two DIFFERENT coax cables both connected to the back of the TV are interfering with each other. It almost sounds like there's some flaky grounding problem since I believe coax cables themselves are grounded.

I will begin process of elimination by:

1) connect signal amp to completely different circuit (as this is how it was about a year ago)

2) check for all correct grounds at all outlets on circuits in LR related to TV (i.e. not floating grounds)

Any other thoughts? This is really strange to an elec. novice like myself (I wired a whole house from scratch knowing little about electricity).

JL

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimLewandowski
Simply plugging in the amp into the outlet makes channel 3 and channel 19 HD OTA go completely away EVEN THOUGH THE AMP IS ON A DIFFERENT COAX than the OTA COAX. It does NOT affect any other channels but those.
It sounds to me like the amplifier is generating noise. Whether that noise is being "broadcast" or being transmitted through the power lines is a different issue. I'd try the different circuit thing and see if things improve, since it probably is in the A/C. I've seen florescent lights and electric razors cause static all over the place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sregener
It sounds to me like the amplifier is generating noise. Whether that noise is being "broadcast" or being transmitted through the power lines is a different issue. I'd try the different circuit thing and see if things improve, since it probably is in the A/C. I've seen florescent lights and electric razors cause static all over the place.

Tried different circuit for 20 db signal amp and NO change whatsoever.

I can't switch the polarity of the antenna feeds since it's a Winegard and I see no way to swap them like you can on a Radio Shack antenna (wingnuts to connect antenna leads to antenna).

JL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.