AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3, 50" Panasonic HDTV and a Panasonic surround sound system.

I have the PS3 hooked up via HDMI and Optical. My whole entertainment system has always worked once I set it up.

So recently (I assume since last update), the sound doesn't work on certain games. The sound DOES work in the PS3 dashboard, Blu Rays and certain games. I popped in Motorstorm Pacific Rift today and for the first time ever the sound doesn't work. However, in Fight Night Round 4 it does work and also for the Enemy At the Gates Blu Ray (just the latest examples).

So on my surround sound there are several symbols being displayed. During the dashboard (when the sound is working) it's:

Dolby Digital symbol with "PLII" next to it

A box with a musical note in it

A box with "W1" in it

Now when I try Motorstorm the first two symbols disappear and all that's left is the "W1" box. Sound doesn't work. Is the surround sound system not getting a signal from the PS3?

Now when I try Fight Night 4, a game where the sound works, the symbols are as follows:

The DD symbol with the "PLII" is replaced by DD symbol with a "D" adjacent to it

The box with musical note remains

The box with "W1" remains

Finally a symbol that looks like this: (()) appears

I'm trying to isolate the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the PS3. I can't stress enough that I DID NOT change ANYTHING. Not the physical setup nor any settings on the PS3 OR sound system. Obviously all connections are solid otherwise there would be a problem with ALL games and with Blu Rays, this is not the case. One day, it just stopped working for certain games. So folks... how did this happen? What can I do to fix it? Is the problem with the PS3 or surround sound system?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
No problem man. Stupid Pannys. At least you have an optical input. Mine has one, but for about 2 years after mine, no Panny systems had any sort of digital audio inputs. It really pissed me off.

My system is over 6 years old and still pissing off my neighbors.

Another thing you might want to try is going to BD/DVD Playback settings on the PS3 and choose Bitstream rather than PCM. It sounds a lot clearer, even though it may sound louder the way you have it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts