AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this acoustic research S12HO sub setup for quite sometime through various HT setups. I am getting a strange static noise that will last for 20 seconds or more and than go away and come back again sometimes a few minutes later or even 30 mins or an hour later. It is not a hum like others have posted. This will happen when watching movies, tv or listening to music or anytime I think it happens to be on.

I have tried unplugging power from wall and plugging back in, checking the cables by unplugging and plugging back in, and trying a different outlet with no luck.

I have had this sub for quite sometime so if it is done than it is done and I will replace it. What I do not know is if this is something as simple as a cable replacement (have not tried a new cable as I do not have a spare) and than I am into a new sub where it was not necessary.

Not sure if this is related or not but when I power off the sub sometimes I will get a loud pop noise from it.

Attached is the clip for the sound that it is making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJezHMi9E2I

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So when you here the noise where is your cell phone?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi, /M3, I have several AR products, and my suggestion is that you go the AR/Advent/KLH forum, that is frequented by people who own these products and restore and own them; go to " www.classicspeakerpages.net--you should be able to get some answers there. There are people there that specialize in AR product repair and upgrading.

It sounds like you have some capacitor issues, in your amp. Electrolytic capacitors, in particular, degrade, and breakdown with age. Replacing the electrolytics could probably be the main cause of your problem--post on the AR wetsite and you will get replies from people who own, and cherish their AR products

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by /M3
usually with me in the room.. or in the next room. The room the sub in is pretty large 30x15
Well I can not listen to your Ytube vid since I am at work but what you describe sounds like the cell phone calling home. Our cell phones only make one of my four subs make a static noise even when the phones are in the Kitchen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.