AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am going a little crazy or senile, but I swear this is what happened to me this morning:

I was getting alittle annoyed as I realized that Walmart seems to have a policy of not offering rentals of non-rated directors' cuts. Just for grins, I went directly from walmart's site to Netflix. Sure enough, they had non-rated directors' cuts of some of the movies I looked for.

So, I decided to check their pricing and compare to Walmart (~$16.00/month for 2 at a time). I SWEAR I saw 3 at a time from Netflix for $17.99/month plus tax. I know I saw this, since I remember thinking that it was not much more than Walmart, and I even did the math to determine a rough per-rental cost with each service.

I went back to Walmart.com for something which I wanted to keep open, so I opened a new browser window and went back to Netflix. Now it's $21.99/month, three at a time!:confused: :confused: What gives? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Somebody clue me in!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Maybe they're cookie'ing you and anyone who comes to their site from Walmart is shown a more competetive price. Opening the site in a new window directly didn't show that connection and gave you the regular price?

BB

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes. It's the cookies.

Delete your cookies. Quit browser.

Go to walmart.com first , then to Netflix.com and you will get the $15.99 price. I don't know how they'z knowz, but they'z knowz.

oj

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So i just read this thread and found it to be very interesting, so I went and tried it.

Going straight to Netflix- 21.99/month.

Deleting cookies, closing browser, going to Walmart.com, then Netlfix:19.99/month.

Hmm. One guy here got 15.99, one got 17.99/month, and then mine said 19.99/month.

What gives?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I got 15.99$ from my work computer which automatically deletes all cookies

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a subscriber ($21.99 /mo) I found this interesting...no... disturbing...

-deleted cookies straight to netflix see $21.99

-deleted cookies, first walmart then netflix see $19.99

-deleted cookies, temp files, history, new browser to walmart then netflix and see $15.99

And this is $15.99 for the same unlimited, 3 out at-a-time that they're sticking me $21.99 a month. Just imagine how much more goodwill they have from this loyal subscriber that stuck with them through the price increase.

I guess it's time to find out how to change my plan to this $15.99 per month rate. Loyal patronage has certainly not done it.

·
Registered
Klipsch Heritage, Danley subs, Emotiva, Epson 5050
5,247 Posts
I will investigate this too. This Loyal patronage concept doesn't seem to be important in many industry these days. You are always seeing better prices for new customers than existing (i.e. cable tv, phone services, internet service, etc.). I've had phone conversation with my internet provider of 7 years and they let me cancel a "7 YEAR MEMBERSHIP" instead of giving me a slight break that they give potential customers all the time. Needless to say, I wouldn't use their service again if it were free.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Visiting Walmart.com has nothing to do with the various marketing offers Netflix is making. Netflix is just testing subscription prices to see what they need to do keep marketshare. Once the test is concluded, they'll either set a new price point or conclude it isn't a factor. Though they announced $17.99, apparently they're willing to go lower if that's what it takes. I'd say get the $15.99 while it's out there. I did :)

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeto
Visiting Walmart.com has nothing to do with the various marketing offers Netflix is making. Netflix is just testing subscription prices to see what they need to do keep marketshare. Once the test is concluded, they'll either set a new price point or conclude it isn't a factor. Though they announced $17.99, apparently they're willing to go lower if that's what it takes. I'd say get the $15.99 while it's out there. I did :)
Not true. I just tried it myself. Before today I had never been to either Netflix or the DVD rental portion of the Walmart site.

Here's what happened:

When I went to Netflix directly from here for the first time, the price was $19.99

I then deleted all the temp files, cookies, etc., restarted the broswer and went to Walmart.com's DVD rental section. From there I went to Netflix and I got a price of $17.99.

I haven't seen $15.99 yet, though.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The 3-out unlimited for $15.99 offer was still coming up occasionally this afternoon, if you try enough times. It seems to come up about 1 in 10 times if you have a Walmart cookie, or about 1 in 30 times if you do not.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think in 1 to 2 years, Netflix and others will put all the dvds they have on one large server, and you will simply be able to search through the same amount of movies, click on movie-on-demand, and it will start playing on your tv instantly. It would either be a monthly plan, or not. That way, there will not be any delivery problems, since they won't need any delivery. Netflix and others will be happy because 1) no longer lost or broken disk and they would have to buy only one version of each dvd and put it on their computer, 2) they could get rid of region centers and people who manually open and seal envelopes with disk and enter them into the system. You and I would be happy because of instant gratification.

This system is not very popular now with computer movies on demand because 1) it is too expensive, and 2) they only have limited number of movies, 3) not everyone has fast internet connection.

For now though, the price war is good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's odd, NetworkTV. I just went straight to the netflix site (never been to walmart.com) and $15.99 was offered. Well, whatever works, I guess :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Fontana
The 3-out unlimited for $15.99 offer was still coming up occasionally this afternoon, if you try enough times. It seems to come up about 1 in 10 times if you have a Walmart cookie, or about 1 in 30 times if you do not.
You are very dedicated in your research! The proof is in the empirical pudding so now I wonder what happens if you visit blockbuster.com first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.