AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there were some complaints from 30HF84 owners about losing video during intense scenes over component video. Usually happened with explosions, lightning, etc. The video signal would black out for one or two seconds. I experienced the same problem when I first brought my 30HF84, but I figured it was probably due to insufficient bandwidth through the component video switch in my Kenwood receiver. Directly connecting my DVD player and HD receiver to the Tosh component inputs eliminated the problem.

I recently purchased the Video Storm CB003 component video splitter.

http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CB003

I wanted to split component video output from my Samsung Direct TV HD receiver to my two HDTV's. (Philips 30PW8502 and Tosh 30HF84) The product worked great (has very favorable reviews on this site and others) , pq was perfect on both sets but I ran into the video dropout problem again with the Tosh. I worked with Video Storm tech support and they immediately pinpointed the problem. Here is what they had to say:

Allen,

The problem you are describing is a DC restoration problem. The DC restoration circuit (clamp) in the Toshiba is very slow, and cannot respond to quick changes in the signal DC level. Your DVD player has a fixed DC level on it's output, so direct connection is ok. When this goes through a switch or amp, the DC level will change. Please try output 3 of the CB003 for the Toshiba. This output has a

much slower DC change than 1 & 2 (to prevent this type of problem). If the problem is still there, you will need a active amp/switch with DC restoration built in. The only one I know of under $1K is our CSM62, which will be release next month.

Best Regards,

-Jason

Video Storm LLC

Well output 3 helped but I still experienced the dropout effect with intense high def scenes. Yhe CSM62 was just released, 'm going to give it a try:

http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CSW62

Any one else had any experience or success with this problem? Have any of the HF85 owners run into this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get this from time to time with my 30HF84. It only happens with my DVDs, not with any of my games or TV stations. When it happens, I just backtrack my movie about 4 secs and continue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.