AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i was on my cell phone talking to someone across town, could they access my Wifi through the cell phone connection. This question came up today among some friends....

Why or why not

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wifi is an RF protocol for IP networking. "Wifi" can't go through cell connections. But both Wifi and Cellular networks can carry IP network traffic, so there can be bridging between the two networks. That would happen in the phone, and is how a Wifi hotspot works when your phone creates a Wifi network connected to the Internet via your cell data connection. But someone you're talking to via a cell voice connection cannot access the wifi network your phone is connected to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So wifi cant travel through a cell connection
No, wifi is broadcast at 2.4GHz or 5GHz cell signals aye in the 800 to2500 MHz listed here.

Nor does it make an audio signal that could be heard by a device.

Now having said that, using the internet I am sure they could hack you system from there location, especially if your router password is admin/admin or admin/password or admin/0000 and such.

FYI mythbusters also debunked the car remote over the phone trick. Onstar used a cell phone connection.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If i was on my cell phone talking to someone across town, could they access my Wifi through the cell phone connection. This question came up today among some friends....

Why or why not
Your question isn't entirely clear. Are you asking if a person could call your phone and tap into your phone's data connection, thereby giving them remote access to your wireless network, through the voice connection?

If so then I won't say that it is impossible, but it is highly unlikely that the caller could hack into your phones data connection through a voice connection. Afaik, there is no way to send a file or an http link through a voice connection and have the phone on the receiving end recognize that data as a file or http link, much less execute the file or follow the link automatically. Unless you already have software on your phone that is programmed to initiate some routine if/when a specific string of voice data is received then I don't think it's possible. Even then, the voice connection would only be used as a means of defeating the security protecting your phone's data connection as it would be impractical to try and transfer large amounts of data through a voice connection. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is on the rise as it is fairly easy to transfer digital voice data through an Internet connection. IPoV (Internet Protocol over Voice), while technically possible, isn't particularly effective. The bandwidth alloted to a single voice connection is simply too small to make it worthwhile.

If your question was actually asking if it is possible to connect to the WiFi signal through a voice connection and then use a combination of your phone's voice minutes and the "free" Internet access granted by your typical WiFi connection, so as to allow you to access the Internet remotely and not use your cell phone plan's data allowance, then the answer is no.

Note that neither of these responses means that your friend can't access your wireless network from across town or even the other side of the world. This is certainly possible, but your friend would have to do so through the Internet, not through a voice call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wifi education

I think there is still a lot of confusion in the general public about how wifi works. Tech advancing so quickly even people who aren't technophobes are having basic questions unanswered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts