AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You will see references to the "rabbit hole" that this hobby becomes.

Take, for example, the progression of my center speaker:

HTIB, ca. 1997

Newegg closeout, ca. 2007

DIY, today (2/2015)

No, it NEVER ends. Two years later:

You do NOT what to know what has happened with my subwoofers over the same period of time. :eek:

Leave this site NOW, while you still can!

:D

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've uprgraded about half a dozen times in the last 18 months :eek:
You got it bad, man.

Of course in the last 18 months I've:

• Upgraded my TV
  • Upgraded my AVR
  • Fixed my Sub
  • Upgraded my speakers
So I'm not quite as bad as you, although it had been several years since my last upgrade.:eek:

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
In under 2 years . . .

upgrades from 2 Klipsch sub 10's and an Onkyo 270 ( curse you, REW) to build
a 24" BF THTLP
2 x 30" BF THTLP
SUBMAXIMUS (THANKS ! John)
from a yammy 663 to an Onkyo 818 to a yammy 775 to a Denon x4000 to a Denon x5200 (THANKS Mark!), including a used Emotiva UPA 7
to ATMOS using 4 Klipsch SLX for tops
a PS4
2 clark shakers on my couch driven by a BASH 300
I'm in the first group for the UXL sequel buy for 2 drivers
and ,depending on the taxes,
maybe 3 Cinema 88's from DIYSG for a matched LCR (the Klipsch F-3's will go to rear surround duty)
and for Christmas from the MItsyt 73" DLP to the Sharp 80" LCD/LED, treated myself to a new bulb for the mitsy now in my man cave, a room slightly less than 10 x 11
and an Inuke6000DSP for MAX
and probably another 6000 dsp for the new sub builds this later spring, considering 2 LOWARHORNS,
maybe go for the "blackberry" treatment
took a break and helped kevings build his first 2 marty's

there is a berry 1124 waiting for implementation wrt to 2 of the THTLP's in the man cave but that's where the x4000 plays and I can't complain about the SUB EQ it did
and yet . . .
I feel like I'm just getting started . . .

"You're going to need a bigger rabbit hole . . ."

and then there is the very interesting and knowledgeable and friendly crew in the Los Angeles Home Theater Group and the 2 GTG's last year, thanks for the visits and posts . . .

Bring it ON!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I must say... With help and conversations with folks in AVS, I have a DAMN FINE sounding system so far.

Screw running away! Take the Red Pill!

·
Registered
11,475 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
I got the bug, then I found this place, I was already screwed before I found this place...

Got married in-between, it keeps me in check, trust me... Or I would be upgrading everything every 6 months or so...

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
SEE MY GARAGE . . .
after 36 years and having never once parked my car in it
my neighbor's downsizing had created quite a fuss so having foo-ed the foo
we're getting things on wheels and "re-organizing"
but notice the racks in the middle and on top, some very nice 8/4 x 9.5 oak planks,
a little bit of cleaning up and many square feet of matched veneer / panels

right after 2 uxl builds and maybe a LCR set of 88 specials

what a long strange trip its been . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drivers have gotten a LOT bigger since then.
You need to check out the HT of the month threads.
And, despite our warnings to the contrary, welcome to AVS.
Michael

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You will see references to the "rabbit hole" that this hobby becomes.

Take, for example, the progression of my center speaker:

HTIB, ca. 1997

Newegg closeout, ca. 2007

DIY, today

You do NOT what to know what has happened with my subwoofers over the same period of time. :eek:

Leave this site NOW, while you still can!

Michael
Here's is an example of where a lot of men fail. I hope you don't mind if I use you as an example.(not saying it pertains to you, but your pics are perfect for this)

Based on the pics, it appears to me that the figurines have also increased since 1997. Did she have to pass the HAF to have those in the room? I'm guessing not, so I have a hard time understanding why so many men have to build around WAF. Marriage is 50/50, no one has a stronger weight in the decision process than another. Yet for some reason a lot of men "think" their woman will leave if they put 4-fullsize marty's in their living room. At the same time they also allow their wife to do whatever she wants in the house.

I guess I just don't get it. Honestly.

Edit: I also don't understand what's wrong with buying tons of gear if I want to and going overboard. I like it here and enjoy overboard. Life's too short.... :D

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, the figurines have decreased to make room for the speaker(s). You didn't notice that the top was cropped off the second picture. The same figurines are on the top shelf in the first and third pictures (you can just see the wheel of the car to the right).
I paid for the figurines, too, so, yes, there was a certain amount of HAF. After 35 years of marriage, we can accommodate one another's obsessions. Hopefully, you will find someone, too, and will be able to continue "going overboard." Together. More fun that way. Indeed, life's too short.
Good luck.
Michael

1 - 20 of 97 Posts