AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long-time Lurker round these woods. Been researching and reading and gathering ideas for my build. Before I go any further I want to "THANK" Everyone on here for sharing their ideas of their builds it helped me "STEAL" some ideas and incorporate it into my space. Well after 9 months of construction we finally were able to enjoy our unfinished basement area this last weekend for my wife's B-day slash Bar inauguration with a group of family and friends- (but shhhh don't tell my wife about the latter). I converted the basement space into a Multi-Purpose Room (future Theater, Bar, Lounge, Pool Room) just a good all-around room to hang-out with family and friends. I will try and post some pics and walk you all through it but I don't know if the work firewall will allow me to so bear with me as I build up the anticipation.

Here is my starting point and a lil background story: I believe that the "FULL" basement area is approximately 1500-1600 sq/ft Total - however the area that I was working on for Phase 1 will be maybe 1000-1200 of that.
Unfinished raw area with "Roll" insulation on Concrete "Poured" walls, and raised ceiling height. It's really funny how this all fell into place. We have been in this house for almost 4 years now but last year a buddy of mine was moving and couldn’t take his pool table with him so he asked me if I was interested in it. So $500 later I was the proud owner of a "VERY" nice 3 piece slate Pool table with Pool light and Pool table Accessories (which you will all see later in the pics). So I had the table - professionally dismantled and reassembled in my "Unfinished" Basement. So after a few months of hanging out there with family and friends enjoying the great game of pool, my wife said "You know what - We should really think about finishing this area" and it all went downhill from there. We had a quote to finish that space and it was way out of our price range that we could afford so I told her - Hey "I" can do this myself! However major caveat here: I've "NEVER" done anything like this before.

But I vowed to learn and do it myself in order to save the money and be able to enjoy the space. So just my luck besides the many hours of trolling on this site and watching Utube video's - I actually had a close friend of mine (same guy I bought the pool table from) who lives not too far from me which was building a Man-Cave in an unfinished Garage area in his house and basically had to do everything I needed to do. So I promised him "Free-Labor" throughout the entire construction as long as he taught me how to do it all. We had an agreement that he would teach me the ins and outs with plenty of Hands on experience, Free food, Free Frosty "Adult" Beverages and Free Cigars - so I can't lose there. I get to learn a trade plus eat, drink and smoke for Free - I think I was the real winner in this deal. LOL! So I was able to get many hours of OJT at his house/project and then I would come back to my house and implement it all myself in my project. OK so I know you guys are thinking - damn this guy is YAPPIN away - so here are some "BEFORE" pics for your viewing pleasure.

Before pics:

Media/Storage Closet:

Screen Wall:

Phase 2: will consist of my workout room, full bathroom and guest suite:

Before - Full basement view from the Patio entrance:

Before - Full basement view from the far inner corner:

Before - Full basement view from the other inner corner:

Before - Full basement view from Workout area:

Now back to the story: For those that don't want to read all of this crap and just want to get to the "GOOD" stuff - The PICS - just scroll to the bottom. ;)
So while in the planning phase we originally had decided that we wanted a dedicated theater room and then the other space would be for the pool table / bar area. But I decided that it would be a waste of the space to do that (I know - I know it went against my better judgment but hear me out here)and instead to create an open-concept area for all to enjoy. I've been to dedicated home theaters before and they are great for a lil while but then when you are over capacity it kinda sucks cuz you have people spread out in different areas and then its like a lottery as to who gets to enjoy the theater room so then I decided to place the screen on the wall where it could be viewed by anyone in the space regardless of whether you are at the bar or playing pool or actually sitting in front of the screen itself. This way when there's the fight party's or super bowl parties we can have everyone enjoy the Big Screen. Speaking of which the Screen will be a "Homemade" (by me of course) 120-129" Spandex screen.

So after a couple hundred dollars later I framed the full space out, and then started on the flooring - I decided since this was going to be a large open space that the best flooring (Although "NOT" the easiest) was what was actually already there - Yep you got it right "Concrete". So I "Again" convinced the wife to let me stain the concrete and went to work. However I didn’t want no boring single color job so "again" not making it easy on myself I selected a multi-color choice. DISCLAIMER: you will notice 2 things in my story that are consistent throughout; 1. I had to convince my wife "A LOT" as I was building this project because she was 99% unsure 100% of the time (as I am sure a lot of you also had to do) and 2. I did not make it easy on myself or took the easy way to do anything and that was because I figured since I am doing all the labor might as well step it up because I am still saving a lot of money. LOL. Additionally, I don’t know why I didn’t leave the flooring for last - but again I didn’t make it easy on myself, although I will say this - doing a concrete stain floor was a lot of work and with a lot of water and chemicals being splashed around so that is the main reason why I decided to do it before drywall so that I would not get ruined. So I did the floor then covered it with Resin Paper during the rest of the construction.

Anyways, the "Unfinished' space also means that the ceiling had exposed Beams, with of course the plumbing, vents, wiring etc. so after a lot of groveling I convinced my wife to leave it as is "Exposed" however but let me paint it black. She agreed and now she loves it, not only her but everyone that steps foot down there also agrees that it looks great. I know this will probably be an "Acoustic" nightmare but I knew that going into it when I decided not to have a dedicated Theater space. Speaking of which, I pre-wired for a 5.2 setup, (figured with this large of a space I will need 2 Subs) and I could not decide whether I would need a high center channel or a lower one so I pre-wired for both. However there are also 2 Audio zones - the main zone for the big screen and then I pre-wired for a bar zone (2 speakers overhead) as well.

Lighting consists of Can lights with LED Dimmable lights on a dimmer switch but the lighting was also broken down into 3 Zones; 1. Theater area, 2. Bar area, and 3. Pool Table area. Since we are talking wiring might as well keep it on that topic. I went a lil overboard with the electrical and with good purpose though. I wanted to make sure I had dedicated circuits for "CLEAN" home theater (Projector, Subs, receiver), Lighting zones , Bar zone with GFCI and under cabinet fridges circuits and for some fun; I have outlets up high for my Neon Bar signs in the Bar area, then I have outlets up high in the theater room for backlit theater poster frames (which I will build in the near future) just like in the theaters.

Then unfortunately, we had a center support steel beam right smack in the middle of the basement so I decided to use it to my advantage. I framed the lower portion of it to match the walls and since that beam was so close to the pool table area I decided to make a table out of it in order to keep my guests from putting their drinks on the pool table. And I had a great idea that I stole from one of my recent cigar outing. I saw a table that was covered in cigar labels and I thought DAMN that is too cool so I decided that this would be one of those places where I would put my touch. So I have a bag of the cigar labels that I have smoked throughout and I figured this was the perfect place to use them. I also put a corner table on the opposite side of the pool table - AGAIN for drinks.

While trolling through here I also saw some members who had created the "IN-WALL" dvd shelves and audio rack and I thought that was also too cool so I had to incorporate that into my space.

For the bar I wanted something cool but funky so I used unfinished wall shelves (for the appropriate dimensional needs in the base of the bar) and we stained them dark chocolate. Then I wanted a "WET" bar but there was no way I wanted to bust up the concrete to run drain pipes so I spoke to a buddy of mine who's a Plumber in NYC and he told me about the Liberty Pumps which they use all the time in the city for exactly this purpose; create drains where it would be costly or timely to do. so I went to work in doing research and installing such a creature and lemme tell you it is worth its weight in gold!!! Once you figure out the plumbing -its all cake. I used 3 Maple Butcher blocks for the bar top, prep top and bar back and then used the leftover cuts on the liquor shelving on the back wall. I also cut a hole in the prep top and created a beer chute, another one of those too damn cool not to do things. Black iron pipe was used to support the bar top and create a foot rest ledge and I also used that as supports for the shelves. Anyways enough with my Yappin AGAIN. Here are the pics.

Wet-Bar under Cabinet Liberty Pump setup:

Center beam /Cigar table:

Corner wall table:

Crown Molding work:

Crown Molding with LED Backers: (I know kinda Dusty)

LED - Opposite side:

In-Wall DVD Shelf and A/V Rack:

Black Iron Pipe:

Pool area:

Bar Area:

After - Full basement view from the Patio entrance:

After - Full basement view from Workout area:

Basement view from bar area:

After - Full basement view from the far inner corner:

After - Full basement view from the other inner corner:

Screen wall - the screen will be placed within all the white cover panels (Approx 120-129" Spandex Screen), that white box on the lower right side has since been painted black but that is a plumbing cleanout access panel however in that right area I plan to install a Propane Fireplace for those toasty nights when watching movies :

Testing the Beer Chute on the Prep - top:

This was my DJ Station during my wife's bday Party:

Can't have a party without any lights:

Bar back:

Hopefully you guys like what you see and If you see anything in the above pics and it was "Borrowed" from your project - I want to "THANK YOU" for helping me be "Creative" in my build. And if there is anyone that has any questions or if you need specific pics of anything - let me help you as much as this forum has helped me.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
This is great!

How much do you think it would cost to install a very simple sink/drain behind a bar using the pump system you purchased? Just something to rinse glasses. Right now I do i in my laundry sink, and dry on a rack in the second basin.

My bar is very close to my laundry area so getting the pipes to a drain wouldn't be difficult, but it would be expensive to add a traditional sink in there.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have a very similar two zone audio set up as well, and here's a tip I worked up:

I run a second HDMI to my tv in the bar from my Xbox One (which can get TV on it, as well as WatchESPN and Sunday Ticket), and then I run the headphone/aux audio out of the TV back to my receiver. Since my receiver can't do digital audio out to zone two this lets me select between, music, the radio, and the tv's native feed in the second zone.

My electronics have you purchased/have in mind?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is great!

How much do you think it would cost to install a very simple sink/drain behind a bar using the pump system you purchased? Just something to rinse glasses. Right now I do i in my laundry sink, and dry on a rack in the second basin.

My bar is very close to my laundry area so getting the pipes to a drain wouldn't be difficult, but it would be expensive to add a traditional sink in there.

Thanks pittsoccer33! But believe it or not this was not as expensive as you would think. I caught the Liberty Pump on sale for under $200 including shipping, then I had to also purchase a check valve (required) for less than $20 and then all the PVC. unfortunately I had to run the PVC up 9 ft then over 18ft and then back down 9ft to get it up and over to the drain. The water supply lines were directly overhead so that was not a problem. So if you are that close to the laundry drains I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get this done for under $250.

I have a very similar two zone audio set up as well, and here's a tip I worked up:

I run a second HDMI to my tv in the bar from my Xbox One (which can get TV on it, as well as WatchESPN and Sunday Ticket), and then I run the headphone/aux audio out of the TV back to my receiver. Since my receiver can't do digital audio out to zone two this lets me select between, music, the radio, and the tv's native feed in the second zone.

My electronics have you purchased/have in mind?

Thanks Again - I will keep that in mind! I have been itching to hurry up and build a screen so I can at least throw a projector in there and just watch it "Silently" like the old black and white movies but at least it will be in HD. lol

I've been doing a lot of reading and research and the SVS Prime Speakers looks appealing for a speaker setup, but also thinking of the Axiom Audio as well. As far as projector thinking of either the BenQ W1070 or the Epson 3020. don't know yet but the room is pretty much light controlled with only 1 window and sliding glass door at the back of the room which will have blackout curtains installed. AVR/Receiver - no idea yet - again doing a lot of reading

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow Prican. This room looks better than most bars I've been to lol. Awesome work. I'm hoping to use a Liberty Pump as well. Do you have a model number for the one you purchased? Do you have a rough layout for your theater side of this room? Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow Prican. This room looks better than most bars I've been to lol. Awesome work. I'm hoping to use a Liberty Pump as well. Do you have a model number for the one you purchased? Do you have a rough layout for your theater side of this room? Keep up the great work!

THANK YOU 69glamboy! that is exactly what I was going for a sort of a classy "Posh" sort of sports lounge feel and I think I have managed to accomplish it although I am "FAR" from done at least the area is functional now.

The liberty pump I have is the 404 Model. if you search online it can be had from anywhere in the $180 - $225 ballpark. Stick with the 404 though because there is a 404L which is more for "Commercial use" and has large pipe requirements and I think the electrical requirements are also different plus you pay anywhere from $70-100 more for it. the regular 404 was for residential use and has been used for washing machines successfully for years so I felt comfortable because I would never need that type of demand from it.

I did have a rough draft (pencil drawing) of the theater area but I cant seem to find it now - I will look for it and upload it - but through multiple (tons) of hours of research and reading I placed the (Future) 1st row approximately 11-12' from the screen wall with the 2nd row of seating about 17-18' - these numbers are all dependent on the type of seating of course. The electric outlet was also wired at approximately 12-15' (Can't recall the exact number but its up there) from the screen wall. I think that this would accommodate 80-90% of the projectors out there. I can't wait to save up some money and get one up there in the meanwhile I will build my screen in the upcoming weeks and have at least that ready for an image.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW!!!! I would've thought I would've gotten more love than this...... oh well.

Not much movement has been done in the Phase 2 of the basement build which consists of a Guest Suite and Full Bathroom because I've been too busy and frankly I ran out of money. LOL

Anyways that all changed this week when I managed to score what "I" feel to be the deal of the year on CL.
The ad was almost a month old when I replied to the seller. It was for an Optoma HD Projector and 120" pull down screen. Which was a God-send because I built my screen wall to accommodate a 120" screen that I was gonna build (Spandex). So upon exchanging communications with the seller he tells me I also have an Onkyo 7.2 receiver and an Energy 7.1 speaker system available for sale - if you buy them all I will give you a good price. so I was EXTACTIC to say the least. this was "EVERYTHING" I really needed to get the theater room going. Unfortunately, he was over 60 miles away but I made the trip that same night. I got there - he left everything installed so I could test it out and everything was in perfect working order (other than a lil dusty). The Projector only had 127hrs on it!!!!! So I shook his hand and told him - I'll take it all!!!

So the complete package consisted of an Optoma DLP Projector (HD2200), Onkyo Receiver (TX-NR515), Energy Classic 5.1 Speaker system with an additional 2 Mini Energy for surrounds, and 120" Pull down Screen all for $850!!! this also included all the remotes and accessories (of course), speaker wires and a 20' HDMI Cable in addition to a 3 shelf Cabinet that the Projector used to call home.

I already mounted the screen and plugged the projector to test it all out and figure out location for ceiling mount, which I ordered this morning.
I will post pics soon as I get it all up but from the initial looks - IT LOOKS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!! :D;):)

·
Registered
192 Posts
It moved to the top, when you posted. I think it looks awesome. If we ever finish our small area it will be more like this, family area with a small sink, etc and less theater.
How's the floor temps, prob good in the summer - is it cold through the winter?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It moved to the top, when you posted. I think it looks awesome. If we ever finish our small area it will be more like this, family area with a small sink, etc and less theater.
How's the floor temps, prob good in the summer - is it cold through the winter?

Hey Thanks Scotter, that's exactly what we were after more of a hangout Family/Friends area and not just a dedicated enclosed theater. Not really sure how the temps during the winter will be as this will be the 1st winter with the floors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I found an awesome deal earlier this week on CL and I was for sure that it was not gonna last long. Considering the condition and price. After emailing the Seller a few times and working out the logistics - yesterday I brought them home. They are some mint condition Palliser Leather Theater seats (6) with 45 degree wedges for $1500!!!! The seats were so mint some of the seats still had Tags on them and even my wife thought they were Brand New. Unfortunately it was 80 miles 1 way for me and I had to get my buddies trailer to go get them but nothing a lil road-trip with my Son couldn't handle. We got'em home and surprised the wife when she got home from work. The only issue was that one of wedges had a tear in the leather which I think I can fix myself. Other than that it was too good a deal to pass up. Pics of current state of the "Lounge"

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Darn, what a great deal. I might need to start looking at CL for mint condition with the tags/fell off the truck new. :)

Unfortunately:
With my luck, my truck and trailer would've been on CL the next day, or I would be hearing on the news from family members what good people the sellers were and how bad I was, or I would get the bedbug special. :( Note: If you want me to delete this last part from your thread, just let me know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darn, what a great deal. I might need to start looking at CL for mint condition with the tags/fell off the truck new. :)

Unfortunately:

With my luck, my truck and trailer would've been on CL the next day, or I would be hearing on the news from family members what good people the sellers were and how bad I was, or I would get the bedbug special. :( Note: If you want me to delete this last part from your thread, just let me know.

Haha no need brother. Gave me a chuckle - Thank you! Sometimes I think I have that luck as well. You just have to remain diligent. The deals are out there but of course there are much more scammers and garbage but if you weed through all that you will find the gem in the rough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very nice set up! It is not only the toys you have in there but the color scheme, beautiful work! I would love to do something like this but here in Houston there are no basements.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks uhcoogsfan! It was only "After" we were done painting that my buddy tells me that they were Harley-Davidson colors. Honestly, this was unplanned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
May I say superb work here fellow boricua. I am taking a page or two from this setup, especially the exposed ceiling. My daughter has been asking me to incorporate laser/led lights and she will absolutely go crazy when I show her these pics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May I say superb work here fellow boricua. I am taking a page or two from this setup, especially the exposed ceiling. My daughter has been asking me to incorporate laser/led lights and she will absolutely go crazy when I show her these pics.

Gracias Hermano!!

Let me know if you have any questions and I can help.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice work Prican! ( I'm still following) This has to be one of the top fun builds on this whole site. ( Even for the dedicated forum) Sometimes the serious builds get too serious. Anyone showing up to your place will not want to leave lol. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks
I starting a Multi Purpose room and I'm going to steal some of your great ideas.

Bar Rail

Liberty 404 pump My look-up led me to their website. I pound out the it's all USA made about an hour and a half from my house.
That led me to their Up-flush toilet. no linky too new YouTube
Was looking at The Sani-Flo and the Optima, But your post has led me in a different direction.
Never thought I'd be putting the words sophisticated and toilet in the same sentence:laugh:

I have a distributor about 12 miles north. He's helped me a lot as this is a total Diy - much as yourself.

The 404 will be used in a bar/kitchenette so grease will probably be unavoidable.
I'll put in a little stainless grease trap. Should prolong the life of the float switch and let me forgo cleaning longer. (Again no linky) - small stainless grease trap sleezy bay

Really like the vibe you got going on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
P.S.

The pic from the Bar with the light show running makes me want to use one of my favorite old Pick-Up Lines....

(Leaning against the bar looking into her eyes and yelling above the music....)
IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ALONE (pause...then tilt head - slight grin) CAN I RUIN THAT FOR YOU?

:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pic from the Bar with the light show running makes me want to use one of my favorite old Pick-Up Lines....

(Leaning against the bar looking into her eyes and yelling above the music....)

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ALONE (pause...then tilt head - slight grin) CAN I RUIN THAT FOR YOU?

:cool:
Night at the Roxbury style.

Thanks

I starting a Multi Purpose room and I'm going to steal some of your great ideas.

Bar Rail

Liberty 404 pump My look-up led me to their website. I pound out the it's all USA made about an hour and a half from my house.

That led me to their Up-flush toilet. no linky too new YouTube

Was looking at The Sani-Flo and the Optima, But your post has led me in a different direction.

Never thought I'd be putting the words sophisticated and toilet in the same sentence:laugh:

I have a distributor about 12 miles north. He's helped me a lot as this is a total Diy - much as yourself.

The 404 will be used in a bar/kitchenette so grease will probably be unavoidable.

I'll put in a little stainless grease trap. Should prolong the life of the float switch and let me forgo cleaning longer. (Again no linky) - small stainless grease trap sleezy bay

Really like the vibe you got going on there.

Thanks brother- seems like you got a good plan going. Now go execute!

Nice work Prican! ( I'm still following) This has to be one of the top fun builds on this whole site. ( Even for the dedicated forum) Sometimes the serious builds get too serious. Anyone showing up to your place will not want to leave lol. Have fun with it.

Lol! I Appreciate it! It has been fun and it's even more fun now that we can use it!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts