AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick welcome to the new HD Radio area for HD Radio broadcasts.

The area is for chat on HD Radio it's reception, hardware and over all impressions.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hundreds of AM and FM stations across the country have licensed HD Radioâ„¢ technology. Click on the link below to find the stations in your market that are on-the-air with HD Radio technology and those stations that have licensed the technology and will soon be up and running.

http://www.ibiquity.com/hdradio/hdradio_hdstations.htm

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
February 13, 2006

HDRadio.com is new epicenter for the digital radio lifestyle -

-Site launches along with new HD2 formats in 28 cities nationwide as digital receiver prices plummet-

ORLANDO, Fla., February 13, 2006 – HD digital radio has arrived, with revolutionary clarity of sound and unprecedented freedom of program choice. Complementing the new HD2 multicast formats launching in 28 markets nationwide, the HD Digital Radio Alliance today announced the launch of HDRadio.com ( www.hdradio.com ) the new epicenter of consumers’ digital radio lifestyle. This new Web site promises to be the go-to resource for consumers for all things HD digital radio.

HD digital radio means FM that sounds like a CD, AM that sounds like FM and farewell to snap, crackle and pop. Because digital signals can carry more information, the digital radio revolution also means a wide variety of new programming and new formats on HD2 multi-cast channels. And since it’s radio, it’s still local and free. More than 3,000 stations are currently upgrading to digital broadcasting, with more than 700 already on the air.

But if a digital radio signal revolutionizes radio and no one can hear it, did it happen? That’s where HDRadio.com comes in. The site helps consumers join the revolution with information on what HD digital radio is, what’s on the air in their area, where to buy a digital radio receiver and more.

“HD digital radio is the hottest thing to happen to consumer entertainment since FM, and HDRadio.com has everything you need to create your digital radio lifestyle," said Peter Ferrara, C.E.O. of the HD Digital Radio Alliance. "We think consumers are going to love having this information-rich, one-stop resource. This is all about quality and freedom for listeners. Quality of sound and freedom of choice. And on HD2 channels for the next 18 months to two years, freedom from commercials."

There was even more good news for listeners recently when Boston Acoustics announced that it was slashing prices on its Receptor Radio HD from $499 to $299, making it possible for more listeners than ever to join the digital radio revolution. New receiver products, from desk-top models to digital car radios, are allowing listeners to have digital radio wherever, whenever.

As the digital radio revolution takes hold, HDRadio.com will provide consumers with updates on new programming, new receiver products, new digital stations and where-to-buy information. Stay tuned!

About the HD Digital Radio Alliance

The HD Digital Radio Alliance is a joint initiative of leading radio broadcasters to accelerate the successful rollout of HD digital radio. Current members include ABC Radio (in Los Angeles and Minneapolis), Beasley Broadcast Group, Bonneville International, CBS Radio, Citadel Broadcasting, Clear Channel Radio, Cumulus, Emmis Communications, Entercom, Greater Media, and Susquehanna.

http://www.ibiquity.com/press/pr/HDAlliance021306.htm

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you AVS Forum for establishing this highly visible new "HD Radio" area on your website. Wonder if you will get any new readers due to "Google" hits? The industry's publicity machine is gearing up with the mass-media. That is how I found about HD Radio in a major metropolitian newspaper. I think it is great to have a place where un-biases commentators can share good and bad news. Thanks again.

(Just a potential consumer) Lionanimal

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Found 17 stations in my market with about half doing multicasting. Great addition to the area, thank you David Bott and the AVS Forum team!

:) :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
where can i look at schematics of a HD radio to better understand its modulation/demodulation ? the website link i looked at didnt get very technical but i like working on radios/tvs/communications equipment and would be interested in the actual circutry involved.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think the schematics would mean much. All of the demodulation is done in DSP, I'm sure. They just downconvert the RF to baseband, process the I and Q components in DSP and give a (digital) audio output. All the magic is in the DSP code. understanding COFDM coding/decoding would probably be the most beneficial thing to do.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith
I don't think the schematics would mean much. All of the demodulation is done in DSP, I'm sure. They just downconvert the RF to baseband, process the I and Q components in DSP and give a (digital) audio output. All the magic is in the DSP code. understanding COFDM coding/decoding would probably be the most beneficial thing to do.

Bob Smith
You're a smart man.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man. I love the thought of HD radio. I have an HD Ready Kenwood receiver in my car.... but the tuner is about $400, and I only paid $150 for the Kenwood Receiver. Here are my open questions.

1. When in the world are they going to release some affordable hardware? Home Stereo unit, affordable car tuner?

2. Will HD AM signals have the same inherent weakness to interference to power lines as does Analog AM? Would it be signal dropout instead of noise??

Thanks for creating this thread!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
“HD digital radio is the hottest thing to happen to consumer entertainment since FM, and HDRadio.com has everything you need to create your digital radio lifestyle," said Peter Ferrara, C.E.O.

Well... everything except a receiver I can afford

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduncan
Man. I love the thought of HD radio. I have an HD Ready Kenwood receiver in my car.... but the tuner is about $400, and I only paid $150 for the Kenwood Receiver. Here are my open questions.

1. When in the world are they going to release some affordable hardware? Home Stereo unit, affordable car tuner?

2. Will HD AM signals have the same inherent weakness to interference to power lines as does Analog AM? Would it be signal dropout instead of noise??

Thanks for creating this thread!!
1. There was some hardware introduced at CES that has a better price point. As with everything else, it get's cheaper the more its adopted and the more things start including that technology.

2. Are you reffering to the terrible noise that happen say... when a car passes by or a bird goes overhead? :) Its just about like FM with the noise issue. Once you're "grabbed" the digital signal, and assuming you don't lose the signal, you won't get the noise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknauss
1. There was some hardware introduced at CES that has a better price point. As with everything else, it get's cheaper the more its adopted and the more things start including that technology.

2. Are you reffering to the terrible noise that happen say... when a car passes by or a bird goes overhead? :) Its just about like FM with the noise issue. Once you're "grabbed" the digital signal, and assuming you don't lose the signal, you won't get the noise.
Well..... I'm referring to when you pass over a power line and you get this big HISSSSS until your away from the power line. Anyway, I took the $400 plunge and ordered the HD Tuner for my HD Ready Kenwood... guess well see.

This is actually one of two techologies in it's early stages that really have my eye/ears. HD Radio (I'd love to have that in a surround amp in my living room for less than the $1300 that Yamaha wants...........

and......... #2. ....

SED Televisions. Can't wait for that one to come out. That's gonna be hot!!

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
Quote:
Well..... I'm referring to when you pass over a power line and you get this big HISSSSS until your away from the power line.
You won't hear any of that. The only time you'll get any noise is if your receiver loses the digital signal and fades back to analog. When this happens it will sound especially bad in AM since the analog signal of HD staitons are bandwidth-limited to 5 Khz. At home I have a halogen lamp that buzzes over the strongest AM signals but this doesn't cause any interference with digital AM.

But note: AM stations do not broadcast in HD at night. Interference from distant stations ruins IBOC reception. This is a major major flaw that Ibiquity seems to be ignoring at the moment.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
When it's starts to get dark outside. The FCC has a rule for what time some stations have to reduce their power or switch to directional antennas to avoid interfering with remote stations at night. I guess that's when they would want to switch IBOC off. The engineer at my one local AM IBOC station says its coverage is almost nothing when the sun starts to set.

I hope the long term goal is to have stations broadcast pure digital on the center 5 Khz which should eliminate the problem. Realistically, that will require an investment on the scale that television stations went through to broadcast DTV so that's a long long ways off. That's a shame because the difference between AM analog and digital is much more stunning than the difference between FM analog and digital.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info, that could be a deal breaker: I listen to AM mostly and that's where I need improvement in the broadcast signal. That improvement won't be there for NY Met games that start at 7:35pm! :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well....... I received my HD Receiver yesterday, :) hooked it up ;) and......... nothing, zilch, nada. :eek: Couldn't even pick up one HD station. :mad: I live about 45 miles south of Indy. I drove North toward Indy and I had to go 15 miles North before I could lock into one. So, thanks to Crutchfields generous return policy, they are taking it back.

It's a shame because once I locked into the signal, it was great! Great sound, great clarity, etc, etc. But, I have to say, driving 15 miles away from my home to be able to lock onto the stations is not exactly what I wanted to do! The HD signals in Indy must be at a lot lower power than the Analog Signals.

I noticed what people had been talking about concerning the switch in and out between Digital and Analog. It is annoying at best when your on the fringe. Pretty big lag between the two. It's not seamless by any means.

Maybe I'll try it again in a couple of years when and if the technology really takes off and is refined. If they really get the hook in Home systems, I'll take another look.

People have talked a lot about Satellite radio, but I sure don't want to pay $15 a month for what I'm getting for free now. Did that with cable, already dishing out big buck. Not in the car that much anyway.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those who are curious, HD radio is using AAC at about 48kbps. (96k if they don't use the side channels) HD radio injects at about 1/10th the power of the original analog signal. Meaning if the station is 100kW, it only needs 10kW to get as far as the analog carrier.

HD radio also has a few problems, like they've changed the spec about 4 times since being adopted... (fixing issues of delay, improving codec, "tomorrow radio" also known as HD2)

HD radio only fixes a few problems with analog. One big thing is multipath. It doesn't exist in the HD realm.

Those who want to know more, go read propaganda from Omnia, Orban, Harris Broadcast, Broadcast Electronics, and a few other hardware vendors. I have a kenwood reciever, but only because i was doing work for an HD enabled station, and they didn't have any way to monitor it.... HD Radio, unfortunately, i think, is going to not catch and end up in the same position as TV. It's a shame really...

(Also, it costs broadcasters about $200k IF their current hardware is ready to do HD... Not much incentive there for them to buy new TX sets)

Nighttime AM is the thorn in the side as well, there is only 1 station in the US running under an experimental nighttime license. I can't remember who, but it's out east. They're Ibiquity's beta station.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
Quote:
I noticed what people had been talking about concerning the switch in and out between Digital and Analog. It is annoying at best when your on the fringe. Pretty big lag between the two. It's not seamless by any means.
That's actually something that the stations have to set up properly on their end. It's a pain because they have to delay their analog audio by five or more seconds so some stations aren't bothering with that at this point.

Only one station in my area (the little community college station) has their delay completely botched. Some stations are close and cause a brief echo when digital fades in. Most stations are right on the money and the transition is completely transparent.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet
Those who are curious, HD radio is using AAC at about 48kbps. (96k if they don't use the side channels)
I've read that they dumped the AAC codec and are using something called HDC which of course uses some Ibiquity patented technology. I hope Ibiquity focuses on shaking down the broadcasters for the use of this instead of charging by the radio. If not, don't expect cheap HD radios any time soon.

Quote:
HD radio only fixes a few problems with analog. One big thing is multipath. It doesn't exist in the HD realm.
My experience has made me wonder if that's gotten worse! Multipath doesn't exist as it does with FM but instead it exists as it does with ATSC -- dropouts. I work in a metal building downtown surrounded by other metal buildings and some hills. I also have trucks going by my window all day. Several times a day HD reception of the weaker stations (like the 7.5 Kw community college station) will drop to analog for a few seconds and come back. Most of the time it's perfect. The 50-100Kw stations don't have this problem.

At home I'm in a six-mile sweet spot from the radio towers. I'm able to receive every HD station with a one inch wire stuck into the antenna jack. A few of these stations (yes the college stations) were a monophonic mess with this joke of an antenna yet I was still able to pull them all in HD with no dropouts. That makes me suspect I'm having more of a multpath problem at work.

I really wonder if this will be robust enough for car and portable radios.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.