AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the new HDMI Q&A area. This area is for the chat on HDMI and it is monitored by and responded to by the makers of HDMI. What, where, how, why, issues, etc about HDMI and the format can be found here. NOTE...WE WILL NOT ALLOW FOR THE OUTRIGHT ATTACKS OF OUR GUESTS.

Thank you.

· Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for creating this forum! The HDMI Licensing, LLC organization will do our best to participate regularly in this forum to answer common questions about the HDMI technology and specification. Please note that as a general rule, we are not able to get into making specific product recommendations, or criticisms for that matter. We welcome questions about the technology, the CE market, and also feedback to improve the consumer experience with the interface. Also, please note that we are the organization that administers and licenses the HDMI specification and we are not a manufacturer, so keep that in mind with your posts.

Finally, we do welcome posts that detail product specific compatibility issues that may be related to compliance issues. Such information will be used, when appropriate, for the purpose of investigating non-compliant products and taking appropriate steps to address these issues. If you choose to post such information, please provide data related to the devices in question that is detailed and specific (including make, model, hardware revision number, firmware revision number, and details of usage environment that resulted in an interoperability issue). While we can not respond with details of product specific compliance related investigations, we will do our best to use this forum to monitor the market and take appropriate corrective actions.

Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Panasonic 50" plasma TV 12 months ago and have had on going

issues with the HDMI interface. After replacing the cable box

(Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) twice, the HDMI Monster cable once and the

TV's HDMI and computer module, I still have a problem with this

interface. The problem is that randomly the screen and sound goes blank

for a few seconds. Last week I added an A/V receiver with an HDMI

interface and the problem is still there but now the sound does not mute

when the video blanks.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? I strongly beleive

that the problem is with the copy protection (HDCP) circuit. It seems to

me that the protection flag is randomly getting reset and blanking the

video. But I am no expert on this matter and am only guessing. Panasonic

will not admit that they have a problem with their HDMI interface. BTY,

connecting the TV via component interface works OK.

· Registered
6,401 Posts
This is not an unusual problem. I have the same problem with my DirecTV H20 (HD) STB and my new LCD flat panel display (an LG 32LC2D). I suspect (but can't prove) that the drop-outs are due to the HDCP inclusion (to keep Hollywood happy) and the compression used by cable and DSS providers. The periodic handshaking required by HDCP gets some of its bits dropped and when that happens, you get a drop-out. I'm not sure where the disconnect is (in the STB or in the compression of the broadcast signal). It does not appear to be cable related.

I'm not even sure that the HDCP is active at this time, but the problem is definitely HDMI hand-shaking related.

I finally gave up and used the Component connections, since I get the same upconversion and 720p/1080i performance either way (and no drop-outs with the component cables).

· Registered
4 Posts
I can't get a great pq on my 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos LCD from my samsung blu-ray player. It looked better on the Samsung 1080p LCD. Are there communication problems between 1.2 and 1.3 because of the chip sets or could it be the Rocketfish hdmi cable I have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.