AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that a receiver should sound great first and for most and deliver that experience through a well engineered product. I look at denon, marantz, Onkyo, Integra, and Yamaha and find products that run like toaster ovens. I would love to buy a product that will not overheat and shutdown if I forget to leave it on overnight. At one point I was really excited about the pioneer sc-37, but it is getting long in the tooth and pioneer seems to have sold out to lower quality class d amps. I am not saying all receivers need to be class d, but is possible to create a receiver that only draws power for its video processor and amp when it is needed? I don't mind spending twice the price of your typically mid range receiver to get this quality, but I can't seem to find it.


I look at my current entertainment products and hate them. My 5 year old Sony SXRD will overheat and run its fan really loud in a room 72 degrees or hotter. My first gen PS3 will also kick in with a loud fan when playing back blurays. The DVR from dish runs hot and eats a ton of power. I know improvements have been made in both TV's and the newer PS3s, which is great, but doesn't help me. I cringe at the thought of buying another fan blowing toaster to add to my collection.


Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
My Yamaha Z7 never shuts down due to overheating. The current heat levels in AVRs seemed to have started with HDMI and more video processing.


You ask about a receiver which only draws power from the needed chips. I don't think chips work like that. But I assume chips run cooler when not being fully utilized as that's how CPU and graphics processors work.


The heat from the amp section seems to be directly related to how far towards class A the amp section is biased. That seems to be manufacturer dependent. Some designers prefer staying in class operation at higher signal levels, which requires more bias current to the output transistors, which leads to more heat (at least that's what I have read in various books/articles)


As they don't use forced cooling for the most part, you end up with a receiver that runs warm. My newer Yamaha AVRs run cooler than my RX-V2700 (it was actually painful to touch the 2700 once it warmed up.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime78 /forum/post/20893746


I believe that a receiver should sound great first and for most and deliver that experience through a well engineered product. I look at denon, marantz, Onkyo, Integra, and Yamaha and find products that run like toaster ovens. I would love to buy a product that will not overheat and shutdown if I forget to leave it on overnight. At one point I was really excited about the pioneer sc-37, but it is getting long in the tooth and pioneer seems to have sold out to lower quality class d amps. I am not saying all receivers need to be class d, but is possible to create a receiver that only draws power for its video processor and amp when it is needed? I don't mind spending twice the price of your typically mid range receiver to get this quality, but I can't seem to find it.


I look at my current entertainment products and hate them. My 5 year old Sony SXRD will overheat and run its fan really loud in a room 72 degrees or hotter. My first gen PS3 will also kick in with a loud fan when playing back blurays. The DVR from dish runs hot and eats a ton of power. I know improvements have been made in both TV's and the newer PS3s, which is great, but doesn't help me. I cringe at the thought of buying another fan blowing toaster to add to my collection.


Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Weird. You start out ranting about current receivers and then use as examples a 5 year old Sony, a PS3 first generation and your Dish. Why don't you actually use examples of current receivers that run like toaster ovens with some data to support them if you want to argue about the quality of today's receivers.


Frankly, receivers have never offered so much quality sound with a host of features all through the price range. One does not need to be an "audiophile" anymore or have a ton of money to enjoy quality sound. It's now available to the masses at price points that are outstanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
It's true, the bar has been raised as far as AQ in most popular receivers. Some of the biggest issues have to do with digital switching and stuffing 10lbs in a 5lb bag.. to put it politely. But I'm confident they will work it all out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts
Anthem MRX,Yamaha Aventage,Denon's,Marantz, all make very good reliable AVR's in different price ranges that should easily fit your needs. But as another poster just stated you really need to also update your older source equipment. Especially since it sounds to me you want to go "greener". The Onkyo's seem to be the one's that run hotter than most, but its been stated that the newer X09/X009's do run cooler than previous model years. So there's another to check out. Any of these AVR's will probably run cooler than your Dish DVR, unless driven to insane levels for long times. They are out there, go check the different threads here for the make and models you may be interested in. Ask questions about specific brands and models, their owners will no doubt give you the responses you are seeking. Good luck and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt /forum/post/20894232


It's true, the bar has been raised as far as AQ in most popular receivers. Some of the biggest issues have to do with digital switching and stuffing 10lbs in a 5lb bag.. to put it politely. But I'm confident they will work it all out.

It has gotten a LOT better in just the last year or two though. There used to be a lot of posts about HDMI issues, pops, switching, ect. but most of those sort of posts have dried up in the last year or two.


SQ in most of today's receivers is excellent, at any price point. But I will say that if one is trying to drive 4ohm speakers to insane volumes, power issues do exist. But speaker design has seemed to keep pace with the huge upgrade in electronics with a plethora of easy to drive, superb, 8ohm speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not saying everything out there sucks, I am just wondering if there is a standout product that is greener and or known for running cool.



Grabbed from Amazon today.


UPDATE on AUgust 30. After a month of very little use, amplifier is presenting various problems:


1. And most critical, it is suffering from overheating. after 5 or 6 hour use, it resets and locks itself. I never use it at more than 50% power, it is placed on a very open place with lots of circulating air.


2. Airplay is unstable and will never play fo rmore than 45 minutes before I need to restart the MAC and AMP


3. Internet stations: also unstable, with constant connection and disconection cycles. I will try DENON CALL CENTER and write back ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime78 /forum/post/20894530


I am not saying everything out there sucks, I am just wondering if there is a standout product that is greener and or known for running cool.



Grabbed from Amazon today.


UPDATE on AUgust 30. After a month of very little use, amplifier is presenting various problems:


1. And most critical, it is suffering from overheating. after 5 or 6 hour use, it resets and locks itself. I never use it at more than 50% power, it is placed on a very open place with lots of circulating air.


2. Airplay is unstable and will never play fo rmore than 45 minutes before I need to restart the MAC and AMP


3. Internet stations: also unstable, with constant connection and disconection cycles. I will try DENON CALL CENTER and write back ....

That denon may be defective. What kind of speakers are you using? If you really want some power buy a receiver with preamp outs. Denon is weak in that feature. Add an external amp for real power and to keep the receiver from shutting down. They are hot and noisy too so put them in a closet. Class D or A/B doesn't matter, offboard amps will solve most heat problems. As far as digital streaming get a box that specializes in streaming audio and video. Connect that to the receiver. Works way better my friend. Pioneer and Bang & Olefson aren't the only people that can do class d amps well. Look external and pro for more options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraficionado /forum/post/20894818


Class D amplification is not "lower quality" than AB or A - it is just a different design.

My sister once lived in a city where a guy owned a class D amp. Now she has a cold.


Coincidence? I think not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20895256


My sister once lived in a city where a guy owned a class D amp. Now she has a cold.


Coincidence? I think not

Yeah, well my best friend lived next door to a guy who owned a class D amp and he told me it cured his cancer. It MUST be good!


sublime78,

I'm going to assume you don't have knowledge of amp design - thus you are worried about heat and energy savings which is not realistic.


If you want a green receiver, buy some paint or an iPod.


If you want a cool running receiver, get an iPod, or a really cheap (low-end) receiver. If you want a good receiver deal with the fact that it will get fairly warm to hot and you will pay an extra $10 a year for the electricity to run it over a cooler, lower-quality unit. Or, just go big and get a high-end ICE based amp - oh, and pay several grand to do it (hint: electricity is way cheaper)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/20896138


sublime78,

I'm going to assume you don't have knowledge of amp design - thus you are worried about heat and energy savings which is not realistic.

I don't see what's not realistic about saving money, cutting down on fan noise, reducing heat.
Quote:
If you want a cool running receiver, get an iPod, or a really cheap (low-end) receiver. If you want a good receiver deal with the fact that it will get fairly warm to hot and you will pay an extra $10 a year for the electricity to run it over a cooler, lower-quality unit. Or, just go big and get a high-end ICE based amp - oh, and pay several grand to do it (hint: electricity is way cheaper)

There are Pioneer Class D AVR's available for significantly less than $1K now. Hint: Costco. As for energy usage, I think you'll save more than $10 a year for a more efficient amp, but I haven't done the calculations, and the variables are numerous (e.g. how often do you use it, how long do you keep it on).
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top