AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I rejected the notion that you needed any better picture quality than the component input provides on the AE100, but after living with it for 2 months now, and becoming less and less impressed, I have sprung for the AA transcoder.

I am really, really starting to notice the scaling artifacts and aliasing through the component input. The jaggies in Star Trek:Insurrection drove me insane as I watched it tonight. I am also hoping for a bit better defined and less murky picture, overall. I will report back soon on my findings.

Now if there was only a way to cure this distracting vertical banding issue.....

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Try a Hoya FLD filter to help with the banding.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
You never know, using the VGA port in WIDE mode you may see an improvement or decrease of banding. You can only hope :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where might I purchase one of the Hoya filters? Would it mount directly to the PJ lens, or would it be kind of a DIY project?

Indeed I hope that changing inputs decreases the banding. The banding is my biggest issue with this projector- black level and screen door are minor in comparison. Many things are IMO rendered unwatchable by the vertical banding. It seems to affect the blue panel the most- ruining any outdoor scenes against a blue sky background.

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I ordered on from here: www.bhphotovideo.com

The Hoya Multicoated (HMC) FL-D filter 52mm is the one you want. It is fits inside the lens of the AE100 but doesn't screw into the threads.

It's a $20~ trial so you don't have much to lose. I like the filter because it cuts out a layer of video noise that I'm seeing on my AE100, but it does also reduce the banding.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I can definitely second the FL-D recommendation for helping vertical banding and for that matter black level.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just ordered my FL-D filter for $16.50 from Warehouse Photographic, Inc.

Hope it arrives soon and helps with the vertical banding as you say.

JPinTO-

since our setups are going to be very similar, could you e-mail me a listing of your exact setup parameters for best picture quality? I am not familiar with the controls I will be using to tweak the RGB input- any help would be appreciated-

Thanks

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.