AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Akihabara yesterday and bought a new set up. I havent touched my HT set up for nearly 4 years. the Toys I bought were (I guess you can see me dancing around while I type this):

1. Marantz VP12S1 projector

2. Victor HM-DH30000 D-VHS Video Tape deck

3. Panasonic DMR-HS1 DVD-ram/r video recorder (Has 40G HD)

My amp/speakers/other DVd players (Toshiba SD9000 - i figure that a good interlaced signal will be still be good for the marantz) are still fine, but I am tossing up about my 120"screen. It is a 4:3 screen, but i think I can live with the bars ..... I guess I will see how it goes. one thing is for sure.... it is going to be better than my old Sharp zvx 5000 LCD projector!!

'How much?' did i hear you say....

Well I would point out that my situation is very different to you guys resident in the US as I live here in Tokyo. I only buy from authorised sellers here in Tokyo (the grey/wholesaler market here is coyboy territory unless you are really certain of what you are doing)...and my favourite store is AVAC (I can say this because I live and work here long term).

matantz - about USD 5300 (all translations at @130/USD)

Victor - about USD 630 (yes i know it has just been superceeded by the HM-DH35000 at 2.5 times this price..but they are basically the same, and my old deck is 11 years old!!!)

Panasonic - about USD 1000 (I already have a Hitachi DVD-ram camera so there is extra incentive for me to buy this product).

Anyway, last time I shoped in Akihabara there was no Marantz stock. I had resolved to walk away again unless they had some... and low and behold they had a couple left. Delivery on Wednesday!!!!!! The guy at AVAC said that the marantz was still extremely popular, and that shipments still sold out quickly!!

At AVAC I and my wife previewed the Sharp, the marantz, the piano, and other new LCDs like the hitachi, but the marantz is just.... 'better' (this is my wife's technical assessment!!). So here I am - waiting desperately for delivery..... OHHHHh YESSSS!! Bring on the World Cup!!!!

Cheers

Adam

PS, can i get a marantz club T-shirt now?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In anticipation, does the marantz come out of the box basically ready to roll.... or do you need to calibrate any of the settings to get the ideal picture?

I know asking this in advanced makes me look a bit pathetic.... but i am pretty fired up!

cheers

Adam

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Now I know why people purchase the Marantz VP-12S1 from Japan for. Becuase they are so cheap, and In my case 50% off the RRP here in Australia-

Marantz VP-12S1- $19,999 Australian RRP

Marantz VP-12S1- $700,000 Yen = $9,988.00 Australian dollars.

Boy I am tempted to import a unit myself as the saving would be astronomical.

Spero D.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is not why I posted.... I would only do this if, like me, I lived in japan.

It was just the joy of getting it that has me spinning!

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know if I should laugh or cry at the above message . :)

Living in Scandinavia, we get the US prices and then that gets jacked up a bit further and then the government slaps another 30 or so percent in taxes and fees on top of that. You figure out the cost for most things... I can't cause it makes me weep. :)

Import taxation on cars is 100%. I kid you not, 100% tacked onto the cost of a car if I buy it abroad.

This is for Finland, it's better (somewhat) in Sweden when you view the motor vehicle situation.

Then add to that that a sysadmin in the US earns about four times what I do and has a fraction of the taxes...

I think I'll move to the USA. ;)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
WOW! That is really cheap (I mean, inexpensive) for the Marantz! ********** is selling it for about $1500 more and probably buying it from the same place you got your projector. Curious, Adam, what do you do in Japan? Do you and the wife need to adopt a house-broken son? :)

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Adam:

Is the price you paid for the Marantz fairly "typical" in Japan as far as you are aware. By typical, I mean anyone could easily find it at that price and you didn't know some special "inside" contact to get it (the price). Also, just out of curiosity, is haggling over price on items such as these common (in Japan)?

·
Registered
110 Posts
As for being ready out of the box - Not really.

But from what I've seen/read, most of the 12s1 projectors come in pretty close to the same "ideal" numbers.

I've attempted to calibrate each input,

and this is where I've arrived for Component from my RP-56:

Hi Bright = off

Lamp mode = Hi

contrast = 85

brightness = 44

color = 49

sharpness = 6

color temp = middle

IRE =7.5 (set to match my DVD player setting)

AVAC is quite a store. They have much larger selection of good quality gear than most stores 5x their size in the US.

Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's very interesting...

The exchange rate for dollars to yen at every bank in Japan has been 121 per $1US for the last week. How do you get 130 yen per dollar now?

Do you have the receipt showing that?

Suzukino

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not interested in argueing, and I what an odd question "do you have a receipt" is.... almost as if you were trying to say that I lied!! Im sure thats not the case though. ;)

1. Todays live USD midrate is 124.195.... therefore the spread is low to high 120s.... you will note that I said approx for all prices..... and if the rate I used is 130 and you want to use another one.... go ahead... it is just maths - someone like yourself who no doubt lives here will have become fairly used to the 130 benchmark supported by the BOJ recently.

2. With the various sales guys there at AVAC I guess it depends on luck on the day a lot (I was quoted a different price when I asked a different guy within one month ago) -and what else you bought in the group on the day. I'm not really a regular customer and I guess I have only spent upwards of Yen 1000000 at AVAC over time, and the items I bought with the projector this time were not discounted at all....... luck, timeing, history, negotiation etc.... too many variables to compare...... you also no doubt paid a tax inclusive price.

So it is interesting, isnt it. :)

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi QQQ, prices in the 710000 -750000 yen range are available from most good AV shops.... no fancy deals or secrets.

It should be noted that I said ABOUT 700000 in one post and said approx in all of the rest (i certainly would not post exact prices here).... at these prices a few hundred bucks/10000-20000 yen does not really mean much..... certainly nothing to get upset about anyway.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Adam,

I bought mine there in January and it also cost 700k, so I guess the both of us are good hagglers, wouldn't you agree;)

Jokes aside, I got a 100 inch Firehawk a month ago, so if you're interested in a new screen, just come down to Yokohama and I'll show you it and you'll find out it's everything it's been made out to be.

Cheers,

Magnus

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Magnus, I am also moving house this month so everything is a bit upside down. If I get a chance I might take you up later on.

The marantz arrived a day earlier (yesterday) than expected..... I have it set up in my current (makeshift) theatre....... outstanding and just in time for Japan's first world cup appearance. As my screen is a 120" 4:3 it is taking me a little while to get exactly the output I want... more playing later today. It is funny but I did not realiZe the chassy colour was not a pure white. Mine is a kind of silver grey with the collar around the lense area being a kind of silver mauve (same for the strip on the back with the Marantz logo and IR port). I did not notice this at AVAC, but it is always dark in their theatre room.

Anyway, I have been fiddleing with the settings and having a great time. I will write again tonight and start taking picktures too. My other equipment should arrive today too.

Cheers

Adam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.