AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built my theater in 2007 and had my left over speakers from college which included a Klipsch KSW12 which was grossly under-powered for my ~ 800 sq ft basement in my opinion. It lasted a valiant 12 months of me showing off my theater to my friends at max volume before a dogfight scene in top gun claimed its life. I moved on to the older model Elemental Designs A3-300 with the 13Ov.2 and LT.350 Amp. Added some cheap transducers from parts express about a year ago as an experiment because I was curious and looking for more bass. Pretty sure I killed my A3-300 last night...Just looking for expert opinions, here is my floor plan:

Concrete slab, all carpet except the bar area is faux hardwood, no doors on the office to the left. I would like to keep the sub where it currently sits next to the closet but I am open to all suggestions. Budget is $1000, maybe more if I can convince the wife. Bonus question, is there a replacement Amp for the A3-300 that will make the 13Ov.2 hit harder? Here is the specs on that Amp: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=499

Thanks!

/ninja edit: Receiver is a Denon 2806 if that helps.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
^^

I notice that you have the CHT SS18.1 and rarely see you recommend it. Is there a reason you recommend a single VTF15H over a single SS18.1/Amp package? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,385 Posts
Well, although I have dual SS-18.1s, I've never actually tried running just one sub to see how it would sound / perform, but I suspect a single SS-18.1 would not perform as well as duals.

And while the dual subs perform well in my ~3,375 cu.ft. room, they don't perform as well as my buddy's do in his ~2,025 cu.ft. room, so I also suspect that a single SS-18.1 in a room that's considerably larger than mine would prove somewhat lacking.

So, given that the OP has a room that's at least 6,000 cu.ft. in size and a budget of ~$1,000, the VTF-15H - based on reviews and positive feedback from owners - seemed like the appropriate sub to recommend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just bought 2x 15h's and they are overwhelmingly powerful. To the point where I now have too much bass and have to lower the volume before I break stuff in the house. I turned one of them off for testing purposes and the bass is still incredibly powerful.

I have a 4500ft^2 concrete slab basement, only a thing carpet and no room treatment. Room is open to many smaller rooms and to the 1st floor via steps. Terrible acoustically but the HSUs have ABSOLUTLEY no problem to pressurize my room.

Ray

·
Banned
724 Posts

Congrats!, you'll love that 15h, I heard nothing but good reviews. The 15h is my dream sub to own, but for now I'm stuck with jbl250 sigh.

On the 15h try having the gain at 9 0clock position....

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's below 9 and it rocks my socks. Just for ****s, before volume matching them, I turned on a pink noise that my Reciver plays when trying to adjust the volume, and I turned the volume on the sub up to almost full, for just 1-2 seconds... HOLY CRAP was the HOUSE shaking.... its a 2story house. And that dial was turned up on ONE of my subs...... absolutely ridiculous.

All of this power for

1 - 8 of 8 Posts