Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And here are my impressions/notes

Ugly unit, and very big compared to what i was expecting.

Silent: i was 2 ft. from the vent, and it did not bother me at all with no sound on. very nice!

Picture:

saw it from 14 ft. away projecting an 80" wide picture on a Draper Clarion 100 4:3 screen (don't know gain, nor did salesman--Harveys guys tend to be idiots). no external scalar used, but just a Panny RP91. this screen shape hurt contrast a bit, as there was some halo that needed to be covered. didn't seem like a lot at all, and very similar to the selecos in the halo arena.

checked the menu to see if it had been calibrated, and apparently it had been. 4, -2, 4 is what i have in my notes, most likely referring to white level, black level, and color.

1st dvd was Gladiator--chapter 24, ie. rainbow killer/shadow killer. I thought the black levels looked about as good as my 200DM did. however, still some rainbow effect. compared to the Seleco, there appeared to be no difference to me. Maybe a bit smaller. however, they are DEFINITELY still there. Now, I was able to rid most of th rainbows on teh DM by lowering brightness, grey screen, etc. This could make the rainbows nil. i did think the picture was soft however, on this "unsoft" transfer. surprising. i also thought the blues tend to be the strenght of the Sharp colorwise, but the reds weren't even close to the Seleco. I would say hands down, Seleco has a better designed color wheel. they are just far more vivid, and really stand out. other seleco owners i am sure will agree...

2nd dvd was Sleepy Hollow--black level was good, as was contrast. no pixelization throughout, unlike the DM, which if you are <2x heighth, you can have problems. I even walked up to the screen, and pixels weren't noticable until 4 ft. or so. overall, i thought the Sharp was still soft. it reminded me of the Seleco 250 i have seen at another forum member's apartment. The DM is much sharper i feel. This of course is personal taste, and some may argue the Sharp is more "filmlike" which the idiot salesman said. again, color was just not as good...on the scene where he is using the ax on the tree and all teh blood is spewing, just not near as good as on the DM. also, the chapter with the robin on the tree (i will edit and update with exact #). the seleco makes the bird just jump off the screen. the sharp was bland on this one. Oh yeah, saw a few rainbows in chapter 3, my other rainbow torture test. one thing about contrast, is that i saw a little muck on the opening scenes...even on teh DM it is very hard to get good. crt owners would hate this. i think with a bit of tinkering, the shadow detail could be better. also the halo was effecting my vantagepoint i am sure.

Finally, Romeo must die. Again, picture looked nice, but some coloration was off to me. oranges were streaky like, and blaring in one scene. very harsh. this probably is a source issue, as i don't know this dvd like the others. i skipped around and thought overall, that this projector is pretty good.

Conclusion-

Well, it ain't the holy grail of pjs...anyone buying this should definitely see it. I just like a more detailed, color saturated picture. Now, calibration and screen choice definitely may cause some problems, but I just can't see this pj destroying the DM, which costs less. Of course, i didn't see the machine with a scalar, and didn't see HDTV on demo. i however did fail to notice scaling artifacts, though i wasnt looking for them. I imagine the Sharp would be much better than the DM in HDTV. So all in all very nice, but not perfect.

However, with a scalar, the HT300 would be my bet. Seleco just has colors and black level down. And it is half the size of the Sharp. So, I would wait and see the marantz and seleco prior to purchasing. I know there are a bunch of Sharp pushers here who havent seen the unit...but specs don't tell the whole story in this case i feel. with 3 projectors out in the next 1-2 months, i would audition all three before making a final decision.

Feel free to ask questions!

KeithR

[This message has been edited by KeithR (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thanks for the info Keith, very helpful and informative.

Do you use your 200DM at home on a GrayHawk Screen?? Do you think it would help the rainbows on the Sharp??

If the Sharp were cheaper than the 200DM, would it represent to you a better value, or not??

Again, thanks again for the info and time to write it up for us,

-- Cain

I had to edit my comment about the -4 color, since you edited your post!!

[This message has been edited by Cain (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I checked my notes, and I saw that i had the calibration settings backwards. now it is correct.

Cain,

I used a diy grey screen that helped somewhat. Yes, I think this projector will benefit from a GreyHawk. The gain of the screen i didn't know, so this might make the colors flat as well. Just not sure. That is what sucks about in-store demos. Just so many variables that you dont have control over.

As far as Sharp vs. DM, I think pricing should be cheaper as Jason just posted that Seleco lowered dealer cost. I think the Sharp will cost 1k more. I thik if you are into HDTV, then go Sharp, but if just DVD go Seleco. Also read the new SGHT review of the Seleco, basically echoing my comments in the past as well as others. Although best bet is to wait for the other 2 hd1 projectors and compare---sounds like the Marantz was very good, and the engineers customized the color wheel. U are correct, my biggest problem is the color saturation of the Sharp, as the Selecos are just better imho. I really do hope teh flatness was a calibration problem. Also, by waiting, Sharp may lower pricing even further when the competition comes out....

Just a few thoughts!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Now I got it, thanks again Keith..

Color is HUGE to me, in fact color was what stopped me from buying a DILA. The Seleco DLPs have, to my eyes, better color than the DILA.

I know the Seleco folks take a good deal of pride in good color reproduction, so their projector will be very interesting to see.

I will definitely audition any projector and all candidates before I plunk down that much money to get one.

I'm hoping the Selecos will not be excessively more expensive than the Sharp z9000.

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Keith, thanks for your personal oppinion on THE Sharp! I think THE seleco may be sharper in appearence due to having less pixels that make up THE picture. I have read that THE Seleco uses better optics too. It could be a combination of both. I can't wait to see what THE Seleco HT300 looks like! How is THE Sharp fan noise compaired to THE Seleco 200DM? I agree THE Sharp is not as good looking as THE Seleco but, I think it contributes to its quietness.

Thanks again!

THE.....T...H...E http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.