AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's taken 8 or 9 years...but I finally have a DVR that records HD *and* skips commercials. Windows Media Center (Win7) recording HD from QAM and OTA plus DTBToolbox plus ShowAnalyzer = recorded HD with commercial skipping. Seems to work about as well as the RTV 4xxx and 5xxx series did.

Still not an out-of-the-box solution, but installation was fairly simple.

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/10/22/ho...-media-center/

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice! Can you give a quick summary of your hardware? [Curious about the case, too.]

Also, I'm too lazy to read the entire Engadget write-up, but I assume it analyzes/processes commercials after the recording? [I can't auto-skip commercials while watching a few minutes' delay?]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'm also a die-hard Replay fan who recently upgraded to using Windows Media Center with ShowAnalyzer to skip commercials.

I'm still using the Replays to record digital cable shows off of the digital cable box. When the Ceton Tuner comes out, I'll eventually get that to record digital cable channels in Media Center. I'm not sure what will become of my beloved Replays after that. IVS may still come in handy once in awhile though.

ShowAnalzyer will process shows while recording. So usually if you start watching late, you can still get commercial skipping while the show is still airing. It depends on the speed of your PC, I think, which determines how fast it can process the show.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When things are working well, Showanalyzer starts its work about 8 minutes into the show. If it's in a good mood, you could start watching at 15 minutes in and it will keep up with you, just like a ReplayTV. However, it can be cranky some times and not start when it should and not keep up even if it does.

I had one recent incident where Showanalyzer appeared to have stopped working on new shows. It turned out it had been analyzing a one hour show for the last 18 hours!
This is not normal and the author is working on making it more reliable.

Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madSkeelz /forum/post/18298161

Nice! Can you give a quick summary of your hardware? [Curious about the case, too.]

Also, I'm too lazy to read the entire Engadget write-up, but I assume it analyzes/processes commercials after the recording? [I can't auto-skip commercials while watching a few minutes' delay?]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Are you watching your recorded shows from a different room in any way?

Win7MCE plus Ceton intrigues me, but I need extenders.

On a different note, I'm about to put XBMC onto my new Mac Mini and see how that goes for Netflix and the like.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
You already know that the only extenders you'll get with 7MC are Xbox360s, because Microsoft for whatever reason will not release software to allow PCs to do it (which is what everyone wants since you can build quiet and efficient SFF PCs now). Hopefully that will change after the new Cablecard tuners come out, but the last round of extenders did not sell well and they were all discontinued.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Shoot, I'd be happy with using another full install of 7MC as an extender--you know, just like Replay (and Myth). Let MC see other MC machines and shows, and play them, and vice-versa.

I'd set up a single main "back end" (there's Myth again) tank, not unlike Moxi, fed by the Ceton tuner, and put small, silent, efficient 7MC boxen elsewhere to extend. Full versions of Windows. I'd be happy to do it.

But no. ??????

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
what's the recording solution, though, for us SATELLITE users? I got 4 dish receivers here... Replay takes the output from Svideo and does a damn good job with it...

And I can room-to-room.

Are you saying that with Win7 I can't watch what one pc recorded on another? Really>?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't get this silly quest to screw around with getting Win 7 to work. Lizard-boy finally succeeded in doing what I've been doing for a year and a half, only not as well.

If it's to save the $, it isn't worth the dozens of hours of your time.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madSkeelz /forum/post/18298161

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H w/ integrated Nvidia 9400

CPU: Intel e5200 CPU

RAM: 4GB DDR2

HD: 30GB SSD & 1.5TB WD "Green"

Tuner: HDHomeRun

Not a powerful computer really, but it does just fine recording HD and playing back Blu-Ray or 720p/1080p downloads.

ShowAnalyzer (the program that marks the commercials) starts running shortly after the recording begins, so you can skip commercials if you're watching on a 10-15 minute delay.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/18307577

I don't get this silly quest to screw around with getting Win 7 to work. Lizard-boy finally succeeded in doing what I've been doing for a year and a half, only not as well.

Care to explain? It only took me 30-45 minutes and $30 to get commercial skipping up and running, not sure what you're talking about. As for Win7, I've had no major problems using Windows Media Center as my main DVR for ~10 months without a problem.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/18307577

But your setup can't record digital cable directly or easily. Win7MC can. A four stream digital cable tuner is powerful mojo.

Life is full of tradeoffs.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Comcrap won't ever get another $ from me...

So - what's the solution for folks with stuff like DISH? or with ATT Uverse if you don't want their crap solution?

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Sadly, the PC DVR solution for sat and U-Verse is the kludgey Hauppauge HD-PVR setup, recording from the component outputs of sat receivers and sending to the PC via USB reencoded as h.264. Or you could invest big $$$ in the R5000-HD sat receiver hacks along with Sage software (and extenders).

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 /forum/post/18308297

But your setup can't record digital cable directly or easily. Win7MC can. A four stream digital cable tuner is powerful mojo.

Life is full of tradeoffs.

I don't know what your talking about. All channels on my provider are now digital only. I have 6 tuners.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Still am.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Neither. You're very confused and mixing up delivery and encryption. Digital cable is distributed over QAM. A cablecard or box is only needed if the channel is scrambled. I use the Tivo if I want to record a premium scrambled channel (maybe 10-15%).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts