AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Showstopper in March of 2001 - it's had three separate (major) problems...

When I first purchased it, it was DOA (bad modem), and Panasonic sent me a new (well, refurbed:() unit under warranty.

Later, the OS somehow got corrupted and I was in the endless reboot cycle. Wiped the hard drive and used a fresh image, and it worked great.

Now, it's dead again. I was watching live TV and the video stuttered, then froze, accompanied by a few scraping noises from the unit. I couldn't do a soft reboot, and hard reboots resulted in the "Please wait a few moments" screen along with nothing but clicking noises from the hard drive. Did another hard reboot the next day and it booted up, and even played back recorded shows - but the channel guide data was all lost and a number of replay channels had been deleted. About 15 minutes later, the unit froze up again, scraping noises and all.

So the original 20GB Quantum hard drive is kaput. :eek: Maybe I SHOULD have had the disk spindown disabled all this time. ;)

Thankfully, with the help Mikeyboy and a number of other people have given me on this forum, I'll swap in a hard drive from my old PC and I should have my Replay working again in no time. :D

I'm really glad this place is around! A dead HD becomes a minor annoyance instead of turning my Replay into a big paperweight. Thanks AVS!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't forget to crosscheck the SN of the bad Quantim drive with the Warranty section on the Maxtor web site. I have been able to RMA a couple of bad Replay/Quantim drives.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.