AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while people were saying they were expecting shipment of their InFocus LP530s any day. What happened? Where are the reviews? So bad it's depressing? Or so good you can't pull yourself away?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got mine day before yesterday. I don't have it set up properly (see note at end), so I've been refraining from posting a review. However, since you asked, I'll give my preliminary impressions:

Color

Very good color balance out of the box, and great saturation -- best I've seen on any digital projector, except for the Sanyo 18/21/60 (and only slightly less good than those.

Contrast

Very good for a DLP. The only DLP I've seen with comparable contrast was a DWIN Transvision on a Grayhawk.

Light Leakage

Bad. Bad front vent light leakage, and really bad halo around the screen. On letterbox material, it makes fairly bright gray bars next to the image, and less bright bars out to the edge of the 4:3 projection area (outside of which the halo appears). I'm hoping this serious shortcoming can be cured with masking, but haven't got round to it yet.

Rainbows

Looked for them, but didn't see any. YMMV, I'm not very sensitive.

General PQ

Great! In terms of punchiness of image, crispness, fill, etc. it was awesome

Brightness

Stunning. In a poorly light controlled environment the projected image was almost unpleasant to look at. I had it shooting about 7 feet at a wall next to a direct view CRT tv (a bright one at that - Sony WEGA), and the image from the 530 was considerably brighter than the CRT.

Low Power Mode

This mode brings the brightness down from 2000 lumens to 1600, supposedly extending the lamp life about 2X. In this mode it is still very bright. It seems like there may be a very, very slight improvement in contrast in low power mode, but the halo becomes even more annoying. One great feature of this mode is that the fan slows down a lot and gets very quiet (its not that loud to begin with), and puts out less heat (it gets really hot in normal mode)

Viewing Conditions

All of the forgoing impressions are based on viewing Gladiator and 5th Element as test material from a PC w. a Leadtek Geforce3 via VGA out, running WinDVD 2.6. I was projecting against a slightly off white wall. All controls on the projector and the video card were set at default, except for the Geforce3's "digital vibrance" control, which was up one notch.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can test it under proper conditions, at which time I'll post an update.

------------------

-l

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't have a TV right now, and I was OK waiting-- until this NY/Washington disaster struck and I became in desperate need of a TV.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"I can only get a TV feed through the composite input,"

Is that because your TV doesn't have an S-video output, or is it something about the projector?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have put 40 hours on mine this last week. I am pleased with the results so far. I have used a non progressive scan dvd on the s-video input, including a PS2.

In a light controlled environment it created an excellent 4:3 image on a Sandstone colored wall with a 15' diag. image. Toy Story 2 was movie theater quality and size. Most of my viewing has been on blackout fabric 54*96. Real movies have been on the blackout fabric and looked great, but this is my first projector. I have looked and wanted for years, but only now did I find price-performance acceptable.

The ability to take the pj and put it on a 10" fireplace mantle, and project 26' across my great room onto the wall with any dvd player, is an outstanding capability. The lack of need for an outbound processor is another ability that I can exploit.

Someday the 100" DaLite HC screen I ordered will get here, and I may have additional input then.

The halo is a problem that I will have to work with. I cannot mask the great room wall, but I can mask the blackout fabric(soon to be DaLite HC) in my office. I will attempt to do some masking near the pj, but this does not look like it works well.

I can only get a TV feed through the composite input, and I now understand why nobody has been able to get NTSC to look good. The difference between DVD and transmitted NTSC is very very noticeable on a 9' wide image.

I have seen only two or three rainbows in those 40 hours, but I suspect that I may be somewhat immune to them.

I have only used it in low power mode, since the brightness of the image did not increase significantly with video images in high power mode. With the fan running at a lower speed I can not hear the projector while sitting next to it.

Since the current price performance leader is the LT-150, I think what we all really need is a shootout between these two.

I do not need to get a new progessive scan DVD player. I do not need an external scaler/deinterlacer. I do not need a hush box. I will not need a new bulb for many years. I do not need to eliminate all ambient light. I can put the pj anywhere.

I do need to mask my main theater screen to eliminate the halo.

I will not have any problem using the LP530 as my main theater pj for many years, if I would just stop reading this forum.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did a shootout of the LP530 against three other projectors (all LCDs) that you might find interesting.

Honcho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.