AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been to umpteen stores and cannot get a good view on any tv. no stores had even remotely good previewing conditions and only had one model, 2 tops that i was interested in comparing.

this is what ive been through:

hln567: bought on pc richards deal, couldnt get it. canceled

hln617: thought about it, got an awesome price, too big for my room

looked at plasmas: high cost + burn in = not for me

now ive been doing the comparison of:

50" gw3

hln507

hitachi 50v500

panasonic 50" (new one)

i live in nyc and have no car and have been traversing all over to see these things. ive run into obstacles non stop. cant get an hd loop on this tv, cant get a regular feed on that tv. my latest is i went to sears to check this hitachi and directly infront of it, 3 feet away, they had stacks of 13" combo tv's and i couldnt see the picture. it was like they did it purposely so you couldnt see the picture. the $7000 42" hitachi plasma right next to it was going in all its glory, nice viewing area for it, the astronaut discovery hd loop and IF it was $7000 for 50" i would have bought it, but not for a 42".

so tomorrow im going down to pc richards in NJ with about 10 grand and need to buy a new fridge, stove dishwasher and tv. ill see what i come home with. i might even wind up buying a gw3 without even seeing it.

also... i know regular tv isnt going to look so hot on any of these tv's but the mosquito effect thing is really pissing me off. i want to love these tv;s but i cant. and for some reason (my number one quam through all of this) is that for some reason whenever i see one of these tv's it looks out of focus.. like the text is fuzzy, not from a pc input, just text on commercials or whatever...

any1 have any suggestions or anything to tell me!! plz

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I suggest you buy one of those combination microwave/refrigerator combos for about $200. This way you will have about $9800 left to buy that plasma that you really want. Plus you'll spend much less time cooking microwave meals so you will have more time to watch TV.:D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've always wondered why it is so hard to see HD displays in NYC. It would seem like you would have better access to such stuff....

Anyway, I have also been concerned about the SD quality on the DLP sets. Yes, some of it has to do with taking a so-so picture and viewing it at a large size, but there is also a contribution of the way DLP renders images and Samsung's desire. There is a good analysis in another thread concerning this that makes sense.

Among fixed pixel displays the two front runners on SD quality are the 3-chip LCoS sets and the Sony 3-chip LCD GWII. The latter provides some lesser black levels, but it may be good enough. The former is not available currently and the smallest size you will find when it is is 57". My personal opinion would be to avoid the Phillips 1-chip LCoS which seems to perform worse than the DLP sets on SD and has a problem with fast-moving images.

So, if the DLP rendering really gets under your skin the GWII might be a choice. In any case, try to buy from someone who will let you return it in some reasonable period if you decide you don't like it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Semtex:

I live in the NYC area and have been on a HDTV quest for some time now. I have tried the Samsung HLN5065 and the Panasonic PD3P Plasma and both have been returned. Next on my list was the Philips Cineos 55" Matchline but after reading the reviews, I may wait until some later production units come out.

I am now at the conclusion there isn't a perfect technology out there yet. On pure picture quality for large screen/small cabinet sets, the plasma wins hands down. The Panasonic 42" EDTV plasma had the best picture on all material except for HD but even that is comparable with most HD plasmas. It isn't as bright and sharp as an HD DLP set though but has better blacks, no clay faces or artifacting etc.

I think next year will be pinnacle for the major competing technologies. This year saw the intro of new techs (LCOS) and the entrance of larger LCDs entering the mainstream which increases the competition in this marketplace. I'm hoping that next years DLPs will include a better color wheel system to say the least, major PQ improvements/price drops/larger size on LCDs, and 2nd gen improvements of single chip LCOS sets. Samsung has announced a 71" 1080i PLASMA and a 52" 1080i LCD available next year!!. Though price will be high, it once again raises the bar which will increase competition and decrease prices. I am wondering if all technologies will move from 720p to 1080i down the road as manufacturing cost decrease and tech improves, time will tell.

My plan is to try out all the current technologies and hopefully put off buying a $4k set until info on next years models become available (after 04 trade shows). At least that way you will know if major changes (instead of just cosmetic) will be made and you can avoid kicking yourself for not waiting.

Just my 2 cents...

·
2,432 Posts
You should be able to swing a nice deal with that kind of purchase. At least 20% off everything or more.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know im getting a deal, the guy at pc richards is offering me the hitachi at the same price as the lowest ones posted on these boards. i had to get a little creative with the published cc price and then go to sears then off to pc richards, never the less i got a nice price.

the more and more i think about it the more (for some reason i cant put my finger on) i am leaning towards the gw3. just for clarifications sake the gw3 does utilize 3 lcd panels correct?

i really appreciate all of your responses. i am finally preparing to move into my new condo and have no tv, i gave my 36" xbr to my mom and now am screwed pretty much. i have grown into the point of frustration with trying to demo these things. harveys had the best selection but it was short by far of what i was trying to see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fareal?

·
Registered
80 Posts
With regard to the multiple item appliance purchase at Best Buy I can say it seems to be a store-to-store thing. I was buying a Fridge, Washer, & Dryer recently and one Best Buy wouldn't come down on price at all so I walked out went to another one about 20 minutes away and they immediately gave us 10% off each item and a $100 gift card. Certainly worth asking.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
semtex,

Yes, the GWIII uses 3 LCD panels, as does the GWII and GWI. The cuts out any side effects you might have from a 1-panel w/ colorwheel or prism kind of approach.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love my GWII. Great picture, especially after doing some tuning with DVE.

Two months ago, I got a pretty good deal at my local GG store. I showed them the best internet price I could get, with shipping and delivery included, and asked them to compete. I also told them that I would also be buying a stand, progressive DVD, OTA HD tuner, cables, power conditioner, etc.

Do not let on that you are anxious to close a deal but that you would like to buy all at once if the prices are right. Have a good idea what each unit goes for at standard and discounted prices.

I got discounts of 20%-50% on everything, except the extended warrantee and cables, with free delivery and install. My best discounted prices were $3278 for the 50" GWII and $249 for the Samsung SIR-T151 OTA tuner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.