AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do some WeMo light switches in my new house and the idea of using the switch for 2 purposes is very attractive. They mention on their web site that there is a normal push on the switch to flip lights on and off but if you hold it down for 2 seconds you get a 'longpush' that can be used as a trigger with IFTTT. I can't find any indication on how fast this is though.

What I want to do is this. I have a flood light switch on my back patio. I want to install a WeMo on that switch as well as a WeMo in the master bedroom. I then want to set the 'longpush' to turn on the flood light from my bedroom so I don't have to walk all the way around the house to get to the patio switch. especially if it is in the middle of the night and I hear something out side. This will work well if the responsive ness is good. But Since it uses IFTTT I am curious if there is a delay. If it takes 2 seconds to turn the light on I am ok with that but if it takes 5 min it is pointless

thoughts?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
My entire house is WeMo enabled. The delay is NOT predictable. In most cases they are instantaneous, however, randomly, even with normal push it can take up to 5 seconds for the switch to respond.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My entire house is WeMo enabled. The delay is NOT predictable. In most cases they are instantaneous, however, randomly, even with normal push it can take up to 5 seconds for the switch to respond.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. Do you ever use the long press feature with IFTTT?

Sometimes it takes 5 Seconds with a normal push? This is interesting.. good to know!!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply. Do you ever use the long press feature with IFTTT?

Sometimes it takes 5 Seconds with a normal push? This is interesting.. good to know!!
The longpress on IFTTT can take as long and as instantaneous depending in the IFTTT server and the complexity if the longpress.

In most cases they are (almost) instantaneous but I have experienced up to 10-sec delay.

Also keep in mind that WeMo is a toggle system (no discreet on/off code so the limitation is there. In my case, I can't create "all on" longpress because the on will be switched off and the off will be switched on. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The longpress on IFTTT can take as long and as instantaneous depending in the IFTTT server and the complexity if the longpress.

In most cases they are (almost) instantaneous but I have experienced up to 10-sec delay.

Also keep in mind that WeMo is a toggle system (no discreet on/off code so the limitation is there. In my case, I can't create "all on" longpress because the on will be switched off and the off will be switched on. :(
Oh wow this is good information... completely stateless no matter what the previous state is if you send it a 'click' it just switches it to what it is not

So does that mean if I have an IFTTT to turn on a light at 6am ( not long press) , but I left the light on all night. Will it turn the light off at 6am?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts