AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They had a 50" plasma on display and a friend of mine and I were taking a look at it. The particular store we were in was in a mall here in new york and after about 30 seconds the salesman walked in and said "pretty impressive, right?" I just kind of nodded and mentioned something about the fact that although it was good there were some readily visible digital artifacts. I never mentioned where they may be coming from - either the source feed or display, but was definitely made to feel unwelcome after I made the comment. He then asked about, and basically trashed my audio system as well trying to tell me how much better B&O gear was. You would think that the salesperson would be more courteous - this is the first time I encountered something like this, I had been in there a few times before and the salespeople seemed pretty friendly. In any case I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their 50" display and if B&O actually manufactures it themselves.

My "P.O.S." audio system

Sony SCD-1

Rogue 99 Magnum Preamp (Tung Sol VT-231/Sylvania Chrome top 6SN7)

Rogue M-120 Magnum Monoblocks (RCA Clear Top Side Getter 12AU7/ RCA Command Series 5751/ Tung Sol 6550s) - triode mode 60W

Alon Lotus Signatures

Alon Black Orpheus triwire speaker cable

Acoustic Zen Silver Reference interconnects

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I've seen this happen from B&O before.

It's the snug superiority complex that prevents me from walking in their stores...

Their speakers are quite good & cool (a friend of mine has them, wonderful sound). I was not terribly impressed with their plasma offerings (I think I checked it out last year, when I was in the US for a business trip). However, they were one of the firsts to actually show a plasma in their stores. I remember a time where I couldn't find any plasmas on display other than B&O.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I went into B&O over the weekend and it's the same glass that Panasonic uses as well as most everything else. (at least that's what I was told)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I too was unimpressed with their plasmas as displayed. However, I have no idea whether it was a function of the source or not.

I wouldn't say their speakers are particularly good either. It is all relative I guess. They cater to a similar, though more expensive niche, than Bose. Their priority is looks first, sonics second. They do sound a bit better than Bose, but at a higher price point. You can get speakers that will destory either brand for the same price or match them at less than half the price.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
There is a B&O store in the Somerset mall in Troy MI. This is for sure the high rent district. The 50" plasma was very nicely set up. I suppose that it varies from store to store but in this store it was impressive. The folks in there were very nice, I really don't know how they can afford the rent. Well, actually I do the prices were out of sight.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You have to consider the typical person who would go to a B&O store at a MALL to buy his AV system, and that the salesperson is there to cater to that kind of a clientele. It's no wonder he would be rude and uninformed.

Speaking of B&O, have you guys seen what Sharper Image has stooped to lately?? They have a whole series of B&O and Nakamichi SoundSpace knockoffs.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...id=22&catid=22

Bryan

·
Registered
355 Posts
I went with B&O as more of a 'form over function' deal. No question I paid for it, but the aesthetics are cool, and it is pretty much the only audio system my spouse will allow out in the open in our house.... (high SAF on this stuff). Added their Beosystem 1 and Beolink option, and now have moderately impressive surround and remote music access. Again, however, no question I could have gotten a better price point with another vendor. The one remote to control all my options, and the ability to watch television while someone in another room or out at the pool listen to CDs is actually something I use, as well.

I found that the B&O sales types were nor more and no less educated than other retail stereo outlets. Depends on where you go. The store in Downtown Chicago and the one in Palo Alto had pretty technical people, and that is where I finally found out a few tiny details about what they had changed on the Panny display they were OEM'ng. I will probably go for the Pio 433 (not decided about the CMX versus the HD yet, but leaning to the CMX).

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Interesting. My experience at our local B&O store has been very positive.

(I don't buy their audio gear...snooty audiophile that I am).

The salesmen certainly *look* like smooth characters - hair dyed to match the equipment, that kind of thing. But they were very patient, friendly and reasonably knowledgable.

I only saw Desperado and Fifth Element on B&O's 50" plasma (which is a barely re-jigged Panny 50"). But the picture was among the smoothest, cleanest and most natural I've seen on a plasma. Not sure how much B&O's "proprietary" technology had to do with that fact.

For what it's worth.

Rich

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am not certain that they did much to the internals. The scaling and 3x2 stuff comes from the Beosystem 1 processor that the display was (probably) hooked up to. The only significant thing I have heard they did to the display was to tweak the reflectiveness of the actual glass. If you review the tech specs they advertise, all of the actual technical stuff is the processor in the Beosystem 1. I expect to achieve that same level of picture on any other decent plasma, and will (personnally) go for the Pioneer 43" as soon as I can find a decent place to sell my existing XBR set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
B&O has a long history of serving up style over substance; they are a tiny company in global terms and survive by serving the market for whom appearance is more important than absolute performance. They have close links to Philips for component supply and it's obvious their plasma will be bought in, repackaged and sold at a large mark up.

The sort of superiority you see in their shops reminds me of BMW dealerships - an utter conviction their products are the best and refusal to contemplate there are other, viable alternatives. You could call it brainwashing.

I have a B&O TV which is OK, but quirky ergonomics are normal and when it came time to buy a plasma, B&O never featured in the frame and I quickly decided on Pansonic, don't regret it for one instant.

I also have a B&O VCR which is junk. I had a B&O engineer come visit me to fix it, he tried to convince me it was working and then accused me of imprisoning him, becuase I had come home and parked behind him in my drive way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.