AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only experience with at home 3D was active glasses that gave me a freakin headache. I went to Disney and some of those rides were insane. I'm talking about Spider-man, Star Wars, Transformers etc. I know there have been strides over the last few years and 4K will offer an even better experience.

If anyone has been to Disney, can you compare with today's 3D?

·
Banned
425 Posts
Are you sure you weren't sort of "blown away" by the other things they did in addition to 3D? Those rides usually blow air at you and shake you side to side, and there's no equivalent to that in the home market. I fully expect to die before there is anything like that in the home and I actually work on interactive 3D applications all day long. The home market's going to go the route of single-user experiences (mostly head tracking 3D and other relatively tame input) and you're not going to see the kind of force feedback in those rides.

By the way, LG TVs use passive 3D. Each scanline on the TV is polarized and the glasses filter them alternating lines out.

It's less likely to give you a headache, but it cuts resolution in half (which was always a problem with their 1080 sets). With 4K LG TVs, you can finally do full resolution (1080p) passive 3D. Since the "BluRay 3D" standard is only defined for 720p/60 and 1080p/24 we've reached the pinnacle of passive 3D. Aside from this one interesting point in LG's implementation, 4K and 3D don't go together. There's no 4K 3D standard yet.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you weren't sort of "blown away" by the other things they did in addition to 3D? Those rides usually blow air at you and shake you side to side, and there's no equivalent to that in the home market. I fully expect to die before there is anything like that in the home and I actually work on interactive 3D applications all day long. The home market's going to go the route of single-user experiences (mostly head tracking 3D and other relatively tame input) and you're not going to see the kind of force feedback in those rides.

By the way, LG TVs use passive 3D. Each scanline on the TV is polarized and the glasses filter them alternating lines out.

It's less likely to give you a headache, but it cuts resolution in half (which was always a problem with their 1080 sets). With 4K LG TVs, you can finally do full resolution (1080p) passive 3D. Since the "BluRay 3D" standard is only defined for 720p/60 and 1080p/24 we've reached the pinnacle of passive 3D. Aside from this one interesting point in LG's implementation, 4K and 3D don't go together. There's no 4K 3D standard yet.
No I didn't mean the physical tricks, I just meant the clarity and the quality of the 3D. I have never seen it that clear before where I could reach out and touch it. It was passive for sure and they can't be using any kind of 4K.

·
Banned
425 Posts
No I didn't mean the physical tricks, I just meant the clarity and the quality of the 3D. I have never seen it that clear before where I could reach out and touch it. It was passive for sure and they can't be using any kind of 4K.
I'm not so sure about that. Digital Cinema's been using 4K for a very long time. The 3D source material may very well be at a 4K resolution. No way to know for sure.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
No I didn't mean the physical tricks, I just meant the clarity and the quality of the 3D. I have never seen it that clear before where I could reach out and touch it.
My earliest memory of great 3D was a Kodak movie at Epcot center around 1983. My eyes were reasonably young then, so maybe that helped with the illusion, where butterflies looked like they were right in front of me.

My next best 3D experience might have been Star Tours at Disneyworld last year. Being in their little ship that moves with a fairly small screen at the front may have helped, but I was very impressed with the 3D for that.

The cod fish at home from one 3D Blu-ray on a 10' wide screen was impressive, but hard to compare to a ride (even if it does just move in one spot).

--Darin

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Universal Studios must not have made a very good impression on you: 2 of the 3 rides you mentioned were NOT in "Disney" (and that one is called Star TOURS, not Star Wars). ;)
Those are PASSIVE 3D presentations, which goes to show you high quality is possible without (expensive) ACTIVE glasses; the LG OLED sets do PASSIVE 3D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts