AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Ken Kranes TV in Pasadena today and saw a bunch of plasmas, panny, pio, mitsu, LG and I must say everything looked grainy, blured picture and I think my Finances' 17 junk tube TV looked better than the images I saw. They even had Tom Cruises War of the worlds playing on the Panny 50 TH50px50u with a denon 3910. I know the DVD is meant to look grainy, but it looked like Sh!t. I was not impressed at all with anything. I see these price tags....$$$$$$, and I am just like you got to be kidding my I would not come in this store and spend 5g's when their display models look like junk. If I were them I would hook up each TV to have the best setup to show off a ture DVD quality system. Not some HD channel split between 10 plasmas. Whats the deal. I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a Panny 42-TH42px50u, but for 3g's I thought the picture would have looked alot better. I read all the threads on here and everyone is like...my PQ is great, I looked at the Pio Elite tonight as was not impressed at all. Is there something that when I get my Plasma home and hook it up the picture will be greater. I dont have a problem spending money for quality, but Ken Cranes showed me none, CC either or Best Buy. Isn't there a place where you can take a good DVD player and a DVD to and say hook this up let me see this. Everything seems to be mounted on walls and it looks out of this question, because everthing seems to be linked together. Whats going on

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
I'll just say i went to a LOT of stores over several months and saw different levels of picture quality on various brands and models from fair to very good, mostly HD but some DVD and SD as well but none of it looked nearly as good as it does in my house, hooked up my way, to my components. If i went by how these things looked in the stores i would have never bought anything !

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthechizzain
I went to Ken Kranes TV in Pasadena today and saw a bunch of plasmas, panny, pio, mitsu, LG and I must say everything looked grainy, blured picture and I think my Finances' 17 junk tube TV looked better than the images I saw. They even had Tom Cruises War of the worlds playing on the Panny 50 TH50px50u with a denon 3910. I know the DVD is meant to look grainy, but it looked like Sh!t. I was not impressed at all with anything. I see these price tags....$$$$$$, and I am just like you got to be kidding my I would not come in this store and spend 5g's when their display models look like junk. If I were them I would hook up each TV to have the best setup to show off a ture DVD quality system. Not some HD channel split between 10 plasmas. Whats the deal. I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a Panny 42-TH42px50u, but for 3g's I thought the picture would have looked alot better. I read all the threads on here and everyone is like...my PQ is great, I looked at the Pio Elite tonight as was not impressed at all. Is there something that when I get my Plasma home and hook it up the picture will be greater. I dont have a problem spending money for quality, but Ken Cranes showed me none, CC either or Best Buy. Isn't there a place where you can take a good DVD player and a DVD to and say hook this up let me see this. Everything seems to be mounted on walls and it looks out of this question, because everthing seems to be linked together. Whats going on

One word: Feed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First, as you said War of the Worlds is a bad example. I actualy posted on another forum on how piss por a transfer I thought it was. Not only this but I saw a DVD review that was saying it was one of the worst it ever had come accross.

Second I must ask how close were you to the display. Keep in mind that plasma, or any large display is not ment for veiwing at close distance (with in 4 feet). At that distance a 17 tube is always going to look superior. There is a little bit of dirty math that should be used to determin how far you should be viewing a specific sized display. I know that when I went to BB and looked at displays I was about 1-2 feet from it... so determining picture quality at that distance is not a good indication of what you will get.

Third, as others have said, display models are not calibrated, and you dont know what the source feeding the display is. Is it HDMI, component, or is it s-video? Is it split amongst 40 other displays? When you recive a display it is turned all the way up to what is called torch mode. This si sort of like the old "Moth to a flame" saying. Turn that sucker up and the moths come a calling!

With proper calibration, viewing space, and feed, todays plasma displays produce an incredible picture, rivaled only by direct view tubes three times the weight, and 20 times the physical size. Keep in mind that a plasma does not nesicarily produce a better picture then an equivalent sized HD tube, it does it and can be hung on the wall!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was standing in different locations, 6 feet back, 8 feet, 10 feet, a little to the left and a little to the right. I just thought it would have a better PQ. I understand the feed issues, but they had like 8 salesemen just standing watching a movie, 3 of them all spralled on the couch. It was like going to a pinto car dealer, just merchandise and lazy salesmen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:
I was standing in different locations, 6 feet back, 8 feet, 10 feet, a little to the left and a little to the right. I just thought it would have a better PQ. I understand the feed issues, but they had like 8 salesemen just standing watching a movie, 3 of them all spralled on the couch. It was like going to a pinto car dealer, just merchandise and lazy salesmen.
LOL yea that would be disheartening..:)

I recently got the Panasonic 50px50u and absolutely love it.

HD is incredible...

·
Registered
557 Posts
At home: my 50 panny ...

DVD - exceeded my expectations!

HD - exceeded my expectations!

SD was about where I expected it to be.

I also never saw an image as good in a store ... not even close really.

jlsavs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In stores - the sets are run constantly, with settings set to who knows what, off poor feeds, in bad, overbright lighting.

My parents recently bought the Panny 42PX50U, a set I've often seen at BB, Circuit City, etc. Once I had a little time with the menus, their set dialed in very nicely with Digital Video Essentials. There is no comparison. I'm shocked at how bad a good set can look whenever I pass the one in my local BB.

Its blacks don't match my Sony 40XBR800 (CRT Tube HDTV), but its contrast is fantastic so you don't notice, it doesn't have CRT geometry problems, lacks Sony's red push, and it weighs 75 lbs not 305 lbs. My Sony is a bit bigger on 4x3 stuff, but on 16x9 behaves like a 37 inch widescreen set. If I was buying today, I'd take the Panny plasma over my set easily. And I like my set.

But I wouldn't have picked the 42PX50U over even its neighboring sets the way I saw it at Best Buy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
It was like going to a pinto car dealer, just merchandise and lazy salesmen.
I have visions of pushing a component video cable just a little bit too hard, and ******!!!!!BLAM!!!!!******

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburpan
I have visions of pushing a component video cable just a little bit too hard, and ******!!!!!BLAM!!!!!******
O/T

I recently saw a guy driving around in a Pinto. His license plate was IBLWUP

·
Registered
46 Posts
" First, as you said War of the Worlds is a bad example. I actualy posted on another forum on how piss por a transfer I thought it was. Not only this but I saw a DVD review that was saying it was one of the worst it ever had come accross."

Actually the war of the worlds transfer in nearly perfect, steven spielberg added a filter to the digital cameras to make it look grainy and over saturated. I somewhat wished he had not done that though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totally agree that the PQ on all the sets at Ken Cranes Pasadena blows. One of the salesmen there said that he had come over from a recently closed Good Guys and that the feed was the cause of the problem. They did have the Yamaha YSP-1 set up very nicely, so the trip was not a total waste. I definitely couldn't see spending a lot of green an any of the sets I saw on display there, however. Very disappointing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.