AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Sharp 10K, HS10, and Z90 today basically comparing scenes from Superbit 5th Element. Wasn't really prepared for it but I just wanted to check out the Sharp 10K.

Well after seeing the 10K, I don't think I can even think about getting a low end machine right now. No question, I wasn't really impressed with neither the HS10 and the Z90. They were okay don't get me wrong. But the picture quality wasn't exactly impressive. And this is on a 82" Stewart. It'll throw a bigger image than my RPTV but that's it, doesn't exactly trounce it in image quality.

The Sharp 10K image is just so much smoother. Colours much more natural. Tons more detail. I can go on an on with all the terms everyone is familiar with. All I know is that the Z90 and the HS10 is fine but it sucks that spending that kind of money doesn't impress neither me nor my close ones. The only impression it'll make is that it's a projector and the image will be bigger than what I have now.

I have yet to check out the HT1000. So it's either that, the Sharp or wait for me. As much as I want to I think I'll be doing myself a disservice if I simply dive in and just get something. Feel free to comment, criticize and what not. Sigh... PJ shopping isn't exactly a happy affair unless you can afford everything.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think the price differential makes the decision for most of us. After all this is a hobby so I find spending 10K for a PJ hard to swallow (even if I could easily afford to buy it, I have other priorities--investments, travel, etc.)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I know that's why I'm not flat out saying I'm going to buy the Sharp 10K because it's more money than I want to spend. But for me I already have a RPTV. Although it's an old analog one it's still 53inches. Spending the kind of money for a projector that will only give me size and not exactly improved picture quality is hard to swallow too.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Going from an interlaced 53" RPTV to a 120" progressive, HD-ready FPTV will be a major improvement. Show room often do not have these PJ set up correctly (progressive DVD player via component or DVI, HTPC, light control, correct screen to PJ (ie, Stewart Grayhawk may not match a lower lumen PJ where as Dalite Hipower may), masking, etc.

My old NEC XGA 4:3 DLP LT150 masked to 16:9 on a Dalite Video Spectra beats my 60" Sony top of the line analog RPTV. Granted it won't beat a true HDTV set or plasma, but the size alone will compensate as it immerse you into the movie much, much more. My PJ only cost me $2K (some got it for $1700). I would advise you see the HT1000 ($4-5K) as it will likely give the Sharp 10K a close run for over 1/2 the money. Combine this excellent FPTV with a STB DVI DVD player like the Bravo D1 ($200) or Samsung 931 ($400) and HDTV receiver and you'll be in heaven.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The Sharp 10K is now $7.3K for USA model with USA warranty and $6.3K for direct from the orient without USA warranty. I guess the prices dropped quickly from its MSRP.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yeah, I really don't understand why Canadians are penalized. You're an American for goodness sake :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
the nec is a nice pj and it may have a little better contrast but as for picture quality, NOT CLOSE plus all the nice little features. For only about 2k more you can have a 10k.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the 10K is more than 2K more than the HT1000. If it was only 2K I would get the 10K for sure but unfortunately it's not. And I don't think I would want to buy the 10K outside of a local trusted retail store. So more like double the price of HT1000 (just about). :eek:

·
Registered
437 Posts
IF you compare lowest street price on both PJP, you ll get siomething very close to 2K. Unless you only buy local. For me, its worth the extra fee if you sit close to the screen

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
You really can't go wrong with the Sharp. It's well designed, with a great picture. I had planned to buy a cheaper projector and wait for SXRD but I've begin to really question whether I can be happy with the lower priced units when I know what the Sharp is capable of producing. I see a dealer on Audiogon selling re-maufactured ones with full U.S. warranty and a brand new bulb for 6000.00.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Goosey,

You have a PM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.