AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I thought I posted this some time ago, but alas I cannot find the thread.

We have been asked to donate an LCD projector for a small elementary school auditorium, about the size of 4/5 classrooms put together. They would like to be able to hook up a vcr and computer to it.

I don't know much about projectors. I asume that for a large space like that (it will not be too dark), i need to max out as much as possible on the lumens. It doesn't have to be super sharp, or light, or any creature comforts. Just bright, and functionable. Anything maybe?

We are not loking for anything new, the school is very happy with a used LCD. I just don't know what to ask for when I look at Ebay or other sites.

Are there certain brands I should stay away from (before I get flamed and told to look at old posts, since I will be looking at 3-4-5 year old projectors, reviews on new machines won't do me any good! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Anyway, I appreciate any help yoiu can offer.

[This message has been edited by Perfect Isolation (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Lumens is a good place to start. The brighter the room and the bigger the picture, the brighter it needs to be. Since people here at work, tend to play with the projectors and other equipment in the conference room, I would recommend that you put it on the ceiling if possible (the farther from fingers the better). Since it is also for a school, you have to understand that bulbs need replacing, and they tend to be expensive, so I would look at the rating of the bulb.

You can also go to Projector central. they have a database of different models, and you can sort using different criteria.

One more thing, if the PC is a desktop and permanently connected, then this is not important, but if you use a laptop, you should get a projector that does 1024x768, it is hard to change the resolution on laptops.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.