AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our new house is a go. It will take a few months to build and I can arrange for a custom installer to run wire etc prior to drywall. I believe they will also be able to install a projector mounting plate. I think I'll be able to take it from there installation wise and I have to meet with them late next week to tell them what to do.

I've attached a floor plan of the room. It is roughly 14x18 feet. The screen will be on the wall on the right. The area shown as a railing will actually be a half wall and I will be able to paint the ceiling and walls dark gray. There will be some heavy curtains on the windows but there isn't much I can do about any stray light from the stairwell otherwise.

I'm going with a Sony HW40es and my initial screen will be 106 inch and 1.0 gain. Initial seating will probably be two recliners that can be centered in the room at pretty much any distance but I may eventually have a sectional that would have to go against the back wall on the left. I will probably put my components on the back wall on a low shelf under the windows (or against the exterior wall at the bottom if the sectional is brought into the room).

How close to the back wall would you put the projector? Does it need space for ventilation behind it? I would like it to be behind me, but if the sectional goes up there it will be at best overhead. I was considering mounting it about 13 feet from the screen but would the few extra feet of throw matter all the much if I bring it closer to the back wall? The calculator on Projector Central says I can pretty much put it anywhere in the room, but at max distance vs. about 13 feet I lose about 15% brightness. And I would also like a little flexibility if I ever want a bigger screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Sorry, that had to be said first.

If your room is 14' wide and you intend to put the screen on the wall opposite the windows, and the room is 18' deep, and you likely will be sitting with eyes to screen at about 15-16 feet away... then 106" by most conventions is way to small. At a 12' viewing distance, THX standards call for a 110" diagonal screen for a 'center of theater' feel.

My recommendation is that you should buy the Sony before you buy a screen and try some different image sizes before you buy the screen. Shine it on your unpainted wall, then figure out what works. I just installed a 40ES with a 134" screen that is viewed from 9' away.

So, yeah, 106" is definitely on the small side considering your room size.

I think I would position the projector at about 16' lens to screen, which is towards the back of your room. The projector is plenty bright enough for a 106" screen, and that will give you the most flexibility to go up to a far more reasonable size.

Let me be clear... In 15+ years doing this, when I have pushed for a larger screen, nobody has EVER complained. Some that I talked into a bigger screen ended up wishing for an even larger screen. But not one has ever wished for a smaller screen. Ever. Not once.

About 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing is the current common size that most go for, so I would start with that as what you may want to plan for.

Anyway, yeah, 16' lens to screen, so the mount at about 17'. The projector will be just fine there. Right over seating is typically ideal. The projector just need ventilation, but in an 'open room' pretty much any spot will work fine.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the screen size is set. For now. I want one with built in masking and while delivery was PITA I now have a Monoprice 106 inch multi format screen. I'll initially sit about 10 feet from it in a recliner.

It sounds like I should take the brightness hit and mount the projector further back than would be required for the single recliner so that it wouldn't be too far in front of the seating if we replace the recliners with a sectional in the future.

So assuming it's a four inch plate it sounds like I should tell them to mount it about two feet front the back wall. Considering the depth of the projector and screen a throw of about fifteen feet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fifteen feet is a very sweet spot for the SONY..Mounting behind seating may be beneficial for 3D glasses sync too..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.