AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Los Angeles and recently purchased an HDTV DirecTV receiver in order to be able to watch the HDTV channels (primarily HBO and Showtime) on D*. We now find that there is virtually nothing worthwhile to watch -- certainly not any of our favorite shows or decent movies -- during prime time because both of those channels mimic the East Coast feeds. So, for example, The Sopranos is on at 5 p.m. on Sunday afternoon and Six Feet Under is on at 6 p.m. Plus, the programming they seem to air during West Coast prime time and thereafter is cr*p, much of which isn't even in HDTV.

Have any West Coasters complained to DirecTV about this? Surely, there are enough subscribers in the Pacific Time zone that DirecTV would want to come up with some solution that allows for HBO or Showtime programming to be shown on the West Coast during the intended prime time hours. Wouldn't HBO and Showtime care enough to want to do something to make these viewers happy, as well? Perhaps if enough of us complain, something can be done about it, because I'm ready to cancel after a week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feel your pain. There are west coast feeds of HBOHD and SHOWHD, but D* doesn't carry them, I assume because of bandwidth restrictions. I've seen the ends of a lot of movies getting home at 6:30. Myself, I would rather see HBO & Show do something different than mimic the SD feed. Why not offer a dedicated HD channels with ALL HD material, instead of half upconverted 4x3 stuff?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I agree, having the West and East feeds available would be ideal. Since bandwidth is an issue, I'd rather keep it available for other channels instead (Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, HDNet Movies, etc., that also don't cost $12/month), especially given the mediocre content that HBO and SHO HD channels seem to have the majority of the time.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Hopefully when there is a PVR available this won't be an issue. I can time-shift/archive HBO material with my 169time system, but I realize this is not a solution for everybody. I would hesitate to waste bandwidth on two identical channels, however, given their bandwidth limitations.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yeah, I can't cotton to wasting the bandwidth with an HDTivo due before year end. If it were a choice between, say, ESPN and Discovery or west coast feeds of HBO and the largely wortheless Showtime, I'd have to go with the former.

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
I actually like the east coast feeds better. Watching Six Feet at 6 means no competition for Alias @9. They could do both but that would really waste space. If its one or the other I like being able to watch things earlier.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Having both frees up the primetime schedule for both stations. If the two are both showing something you want to watch, you can watch the East coast feed of one and the West coast feed of the other. With two channels each, there is a much better chance to find HD programming that you would enjoy. Even though they have the "same" programming, when you flip through the channels, they are each unique and have different programming at any given time (except live events)

vegggas

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris J

It would be nice if the did have an east and west coast feed in HD.
just 1 more reason why I kept my BUD/4DTV setup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.