AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any opinions on this hard drive?. Im looking to replace my ageing old hard drive with something big but quiet. Any suggestions greatfully received from this great forum.

Or should I wait for the Seagate Barracuda IV 120gb ?, I dont want to risk the problems associated with IBM even though I have a 20gb and 30gb drive which have been great the last 3 years.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have 4 (the non-SE version) of them in my Hipix server and 1 in my HTPC. They work well but are a little bit on the loud side.

Mike

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
I'm using 2 of the WD 100Gb/8Mb drives in my HiPix HTPC and they are very fast. They don't seem to be any louder than the Seagate and IBM drives I've used previously, but then again, the fan noise drowns out that sound anyway.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I just got the 120 GB 5400rpm version and am very happy with it so far. It's much quieter than my WD 7200rpm drive.

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I've used every make of hard drive since 1990 including the defunct Quantum and Conner. Western Digital has always been the loudest and Seagate has always been the quietest. Sizes may have changed over time, but that never has. Maxtor and IBM are in between.

-Robert

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Western Digital 120GB drive and it is no louder than the fan on my P4. The fan on my P4 is audible if I put my ears close to the machine but I would not characterize it as loud (sitting in the couch I cannot hear it).

So I would say that my WD drive is pretty quiet...

Regards

Lester

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just got the 7200 rpm version (WD1200BB). What's the reason behind only 114 gig available for formatting on this 120 gig drive? PartitionMagic 7.0 under XP shows this drive as 114,470 MB formatted, whereas Western Digital's website lists the drive as 120,034 MB formatted. I've got the drive hooked up to my Promise ATA/66 controller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
heheh Hindif, that's because there's a difference between "marketing" gigabytes and real gygabytes :)

In marketing HD, people compute 1,000,000 as a Mega.

In the computer world, it takes 1,024x1,024 = 1,048,576 to make a Mega.

In fact if you take your 120,034 and divide it by 1,048,576 then multiply it by 1,000,000 you'll get 114,473.3423 wich gives you your 114,470 MB + some space for the filesystem, the bad sectors etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you're referring to the 120GB with 8mb buffer, I have one and like it. The performance for my uses isn't staggering, but is on par with the other 7200rpm drives I have.

The noise on it is about the same as the other 7200's...I can't tell exactly how loud but suffice it to say my CPU fan is louder than the drive is. Of course the CPU fan is loud to begin with, so that's not a good thing to compare against...

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up the 120MB 7200 SE version last week. It replaces a Fujitsu MAN series U160 SCSI. The WD is noticeably louder than the Fujitsu, both idle and access. The WD is still pretty quiet though, especially compared to Seagate Cheetah 10K SCSI drives (1st generation anyway), but even an airplane taking off is quieter than those :).

It's too bad Fujitsu is giving up the desktop HD business cause they made some quality, quiet drives.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Damn *******s at Outpost.com sat on my order for 4 weeks, and then cancled the order. It should be illegal to accept and order, provide an order number, and then sit on it for 4 weeks and cancel the order.

I don't care WHAT their excuse. I want the damn product they promised me. Don't buy from Outpost.com or your liable to get screwed.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally went with the Western Digital 120gb drive :) not the SE 8mb special edition one though as I didn't see the need. Anyway Im really happy with my purchase as its very quiet, in fact just as quiet as my old IBM drives which I class as quiet. I tested playing back some 120meg! VOB's (THX intros) and no stuttering whatsoever which really made my day.

Also I would like to add that my choice was wise even though I really like IBM hard disks. In my main pc upstairs the other weekend one of the 30gb drives made a sort of 'scratching noise' and I ran their util which confirmed it was now faulty like most other people have found out!. Luckily the IBM hard disk is still working so I managed to copy all my data off of it but I wont risk writing any more data to it as no doubt it will be dead and buried in a months time. Anyway Im off to replace that with a 40gb western digital!.

Thanks for everyones advice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The Bay Area Fry's has the WD 120gb 5400rpm drives on sale again but lowered to $99. There were plenty over the weekend but the ad did say "supplies limited", so hurry!

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.