AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 7104 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydralistor /forum/post/17340194

I have several questions.

Does it support wireless streaming now? If yes, Is the wireless adapter in the package?

Does it support bit torrent?

When using youtube, I have to run playon/tveristy in a PC to stream the video, right?

What is the link for the new wd tv live in the western digital web site? I can't find it.

1. yes, but no adapter included.

2. no bit torrent client.

3. No, once connected to the web, Youtube works natively.

4. Official roll out is probably this week, should be up there soon as more retail outlets start carrying it.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr /forum/post/17338714

Hence my post about converting Dolby TrueHD to AC3. Believe it or not, but many people that only own a crt set would like to use a WD TV Live networked Media Play too.

What is a crt set?

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF /forum/post/17340080

Going to be very interesting to see how someone with one of these and a realtek unit (eg: XTreamer) rates the two. I still fear the WDTV Live will be slow to navigate due to a sluggish remote

Should be blazing fast with the SoC and up to 3X faster than the old wdtv. They did and optimization of the firmware etc plus the extra ram.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad /forum/post/17340183

Has anyone tried a wireless USB adapter? I tried an old Belkin 802.11g one but it wasn't detected... It would be really cool if we could get a list of known working 802.11n devices. I checked the knowledge base (#2581), but that did not list any wireless devices yet..

Agreed. They should supply a list of the models that will work, since the drivers

embedded in the device can only be used by certain ones. I have a DLink DW-140 that works.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2 /forum/post/17339342

I tried this and the subtitles were there but the formatting bold, italics, and placement were not and the comment showed up too. They all played on the bottom of the screen.

So my take is that it doesn't work like you would like, but this was the first time I ever tried this so I might have missed something. I used mkvmerge and a sample video that came with Vista.

i appreciate you doing this kevin; i'm sure you did it right as it's what i would have done. but so what you're saying is that all the tags within the {} braces were displayed, rather than hidden?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube /forum/post/17340204

Did you reference and follow the instructions from page 56 - 59 of the USER GUIDE? And the old Belkin was verified to work from some other device (like your PC), right? Just trying to cover all the bases.

When I plugged in the USB wireless adapter, I did not get the [Wired] [Wireless] screen as shown on page 57. I tried to go to network setup manually and choose automatic but it didnt find anything. Went to the wireless menu and it said there was no device attached. I made sure to unplug my ethernet cable before doing this. I even shut it off, turned it back on, etc...

Yes the belkin works in my PC though it needs a driver cd... this may possibly be why it doesnt work.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar /forum/post/17340297

Agreed. They should supply a list of the models that will work, since the drivers

embedded in the device can only be used by certain ones. I have a DLink DW-140 that works.

how does it work? i see that a lot of people complain about this adapter that it runs very hot and reboots every 30 min

Also anybody else tried a different adapters and can confirm that it works with WD TV LIVE?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar /forum/post/17340255

Thanks, nube. But I d/l it twice & both times file won't open (reported as corrupted)

Anyone else able to grab it ok?

I just verified the download on my phone and on another PC. It's not corrupted, but it does download slowly (like, 70-100KB/s) so maybe yours didn't finish downloading before trying to open them?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:

Ah thanks... I may have to try it out... So when you plugged it in, did it give you that menu that it shows on page 57, or did you have to do something else to set it up? (assuming you remember)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted on Slickdeals...but I thought it would be relevant here as well.

Was able to pick up a WDTV Live from my local BestBuy yesterday. The register ringed out at $139.99 but just mention to them the online price is $119.99. They will adjust. If not, you can complain to the manager or simply order online for an instore pickup. Some people were able to use the Rewards member 10% off coupon. Some people weren't.

Quick thoughts on the WDTV Live (aka WDTV2) as compared with the modded Xbox with XBMC I have been using for the past 5 years:

WDTV Live plays a stream of 1080P very nicely and beautifully. It upconverts my 480P material just as beautifully. However, I am not sure why there is stuttering during panning scenes when my aging Xbox with XBMC renders it perfectly smooth. I am thinking it's the upconversion process, but have to look into this a bit more. This is probably the biggest disappointment I have so far with WDTV Live.

The new Network Interface:

WDTV Live through the network interface attaches to my SMB NAS just fine. However, it's not as instant as how the XBMC does it. There is a slight delay and you get prompted for a username/password each time. Fortunately, the username/password is filled in. Unfortunately, the ok button is not highlighted by default, so you have to navigate to it each time. Very annoying. I heard there is a remedy for this by checking an autologin. I will look for this setting once I get back home.

Thoughts on GUI:

Despite being a version 2 product, the GUI interface feels very dated. I love the ability on the XBMC to change your view from list to thumbnail to other modes on the fly. With WDTV Live, you need to do that from the settings menu. It's too buried. I prefer to navigate folder structure via a list view and my movies via a list view with a sidebar that shows the movie art plus a blurb about the movie pulled from IMDB or some other internet service. This is possible with XBMC, but isn't an option for WDTV Live. Hopefully some hacker/modder will release some custom firmware that will bring the GUI up to par with XBMC. This leads me to the next part.

The Hardware:

Apparently, via the AVS Forum, an employee of WD, Scott said that WDTV has 512MB flash for ROM and 512MB of RAM. That's a huge deal as it can potentially allow for a community of modders to extend the device. The 32MB or so was a limitation for the old WDTV that prevented the modding community to really take off.

Some nice things about WDTV Live is it's audio support is pretty top notch with TrueHD bitstreaming support and stereo down conversion of the audio within the box. For times when you take the WDTV on the road and don't have access to your home theater receivers. It's size is very, very small. Very portable. I like that.

Additional Wants:

XBMC has been around awhile, with an active community around it, coming up with very high quality skins. Hopefully the same will occur for WDTV Live. Otherwise, if and when the Apple TV gets the broadcom chip hack going for it and XBMC, I think it will be a nicer alternative to these media player.

I like how with XBMC, I can open a file from a compress RAR without having to first decompress it. This is perfect to save space and time having to decompress a downloaded anime movie for instance. Plus, by keeping it in the RAR container, I can continue to seed the torrent. Not sure how XBMC can achieve this and have it done so seamlessly and snappy.

With these media player, I long for the ability to fast forward in 3sec/5sec increment with each tap of the button. I hate the traditional VCR style fast forward/rewind. That works great in the analog days when you can see the pictures quickly fly across smoothly onscreen. With with digital, it's often jerky and hard to stop it at the right moment. Especially bad in 1080P. I heard that with WDTV, if you press the fast forward/rewind and go into that interface...then the additional button press will increment the movie at set intervals. So that is a positive...albeit hidden. XBMC again got this process down with 3-4 separate ways of advancing/rewinding your movie.

Online Services Support

WDTV Live does support uPNP just fine and was able to see my Playon media server just fine. From there, I can watch online Netflix movies and Hulu content. Youtube is supported directly from WDTV. But I haven't tested to see how well it works. I also read that flickr support is built in if you go via the pictures menu.

Anyways, those are the quick thoughts. I had a more extended writeup, but Slickdeals threw up an error as soon as I hit the post. And this is all I can muster up as a rewrite.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goba /forum/post/17335100

Nice! But why not use sigma 8645 has this chip is more powerfull and recomended for Media players... Popcorn C200 uses sigma 8645! The Sigma 8655 was made for IPTV boxes...

And how about the WD TV 1? When will we have a decent firmware? The last one broke the 1080p 24Hz option again...

Big issue for me: 8645 decodes HD audio, and has enough memory capacity to handle BR;

8655 does neither

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:

Here are the USB Adapters that we've tested: Ralink based

Manufacturer Model # Device Name

Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter

Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini

D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter

EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter

Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter

Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band

Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter

Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter

Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter

Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon /forum/post/17340459

WDTV Live plays a stream of 1080P very nicely and beautifully. It upconverts my 480P material just as beautifully. However, I am not sure why there is stuttering during panning scenes when my aging Xbox with XBMC renders it perfectly smooth. I am thinking it's the upconversion process, but have to look into this a bit more. This is probably the biggest disappointment I have so far with WDTV Live.

Do you have the option to not upconvert the source material? And if so, does that solve the problem? I too am looking for a replacement for my aging and deathbed ridden xbox, but none of the players I found work as nice. The xbox can only output up to 1080i and does not upconvert if I am correct, so if there is an option to leave at 480p shouldn't it look the same?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just got mine from local Best Buy for $99.99.

Sweet - they had one column of both WDTV 1 & 2 stacked up and labeled 99.99 on the shelf. It rang up at the register for $139, I mentioned the shelf label, he walked back to the wrong dept, I caught him and took him over to the shelf, he knelt down and did a quick visual check and assumed they were all the same and pricematched for me to $99. Mgr asked him if he looked up a ticket or something for it and he fibbed and said "yeah".

Happy Birthday to me

On another note - are they freaking kidding with the length of the component cable? Do they not realize that a lot of us are using component because it's all we've got on a older CRT RPTV? The cable won't even reach halfway down from the top where I'll put the box to the hookups at the bottom.

Guess I need to pick up a 3.5mm (or whatever it is) extension cable of some sort - anybody got guesses if that will fubar the video signal?

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWD /forum/post/17340535

Here are the USB Adapters that we've tested: Ralink based

Manufacturer Model # Device Name

Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter

Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter

Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini

D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter

EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter

Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter

Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band

Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter

Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter

Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter

Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter

Thank you very much for info

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt /forum/post/17340555

On another note - are they freaking kidding with the length of the component cable? Do they not realize that a lot of us are using component because it's all we've got on a older CRT RPTV? The cable won't even reach halfway down from the top where I'll put the box to the hookups at the bottom.

Guess I need to pick up a 3.5mm (or whatever it is) extension cable of some sort - anybody got guesses if that will fubar the video signal?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

501 - 520 of 7104 Posts