AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I had a server up and running with a 100 gig hard drive on it and it died on me. I went out and bought a new hard drive cos I needed one right away. I didn't realize I still had a warrenty on the WD but when I went to their website and entered in the serial they had me send it back. I get a package today and lo and behold it's a 160 gig hard drive from WD. Now I've got a 160 gig hard drive just sitting here and I'm thinking about putting it into my replaytv. I'd like some thoughs on what I'm about to do. I've read here and there that WD aren't the best hard drives to put into a replaytv unit but I'm wondering why.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What most people on this board complain about with WD is noise. If that's not a problem (bedroom is the biggest problem), than it should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Seems like Samsung, Seagate, and a few others have an isue with heat but not the WD's. I had a poll out a while back that showed Maxtor and WD being the two widely accepted drives to upgrade Replay's with. Maxtor's have amset to make them quiet, but only come with a one year warranty. WD's have a three year (I think) but are loud as has been said.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tnkrtrn
I guess my biggest concern is overheating. I don't want it to get hot and fry my replaytv.
That is a valid concern if your ReplayTV is an older 3xxx/Showstopper model. The ReplayTV 5xxx has a fan, so heat is not a problem regardless of the drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to let my buddy borrow the hard drive for a week (he's reformating his server and need temp storage space) and then I'm going to put it in the replay. I've read a lot about how how do it so hopefully I won't have any problems.

On a different note. The reason I need a bigger hard drive is because I was running out of room. Then I realized that I was recording medium instead of standred. Now I've got the coax going into the replaytv and I don't have digital cable or sat. Just basic cable. What kind of quality difference have you guys seen between standerd and medium and do you guys have just regualar analog cable or something else.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's funny to think that they didn't have any 100 Gigs laying around to even swap you. I am only making note of this because in all of my years in the 'puter biz, I have had to RMA a good number of drives. I had always heard stories like yours, and just kept my fingers crossed! But for some reason, they always made sure I got an even swap! :| Cheers to you!

BTW, I would just put the WD in an available slot on your 'puter... DVA server could benefit nicely from that drive... plus as has been said, better cooling in that environment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A bit of advice : WD has stopped their 3 year warranties. All WD drives made from now on will have 1 year warranties, even the "SE" drives.

That said, I am still a fan of their drives. Their customer service is excellent; probably the best in the industry.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwall
A bit of advice : WD has stopped their 3 year warranties. All WD drives made from now on will have 1 year warranties, even the "SE" drives.

That said, I am still a fan of their drives. Their customer service is excellent; probably the best in the industry.
For $14.95 you can extend your warranty to 3 years, most drives have an insert inside with the info you need.

·
Banned
954 Posts
lizard boy: Good info! Actually, WD drives (retail boxes) have had this reduced warranty since October, 2003. It's unfortunate and it makes me wonder as to the reliability (maxtor as well).

Looking for an opinion: How significant is the noise factor on the WD drives (specifically the 160gb/7200rpm/2mb cache)? How is the reliability vs. maxtor (lately I have heard that maxtors are failing at a high rate-is this true?)

Is there any issue with the cache (2mb vs. 8mb) when doing a 5040 upgrade? I understand that RTV uses 5400/2mb cache drives. Is it best to stay as close to the original for the upgrade? I read here about overshoot issues with search. Is the relative to the speed or cache?

PRIMARY CONCERN: Unlike the showstopper I had upgraded previously, the HD spins 24/7 in the 5040. Therefore, RELIABILITY is key (as is overall performance).

What's the current concensus on HD's (WD or maxtor? 2mb or 8mb?)

In terms of size: Would a 160-200gb be more reliable than 250gb?

I am overly concerned, as I want to do an upgrade and I tend to store shows for a long time.

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
You'll see a lot of different opinions on the 8mb/2mb cache issue. Some feel it improves things (speed - response time of menus and the like), some say it doesn't matter. I honestly have never used a 7200rpm drive with only 2mb of cache in a replay. I can simply say that when I went from stock to 7200rpm 8mb cache drives, it made a HUGE difference. I upgraded my 2nd 5040 for speed more than storage space. It's that noticable to me. I was afraid my 2nd one was broken when I first got it. New drive fixed that. :)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwall

Their customer service is excellent; probably the best in the industry.

I'd have to agree with you there. I've never had any problems with them (WDC) - not even 4 or 5 years ago when we were having to send back 10-15 plowed disks at a time from our arrays...

(major manufacturing fubar on some of the early series drives... long since rectified)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tnkrtrn
Thanks guys. I'm going to let my buddy borrow the hard drive for a week (he's reformating his server and need temp storage space) and then I'm going to put it in the replay. I've read a lot about how how do it so hopefully I won't have any problems.

Word of Advice:

(from just another RTV user that's taken used disks and stuffed them into replays, not an expert by any means)

When the RTVPatch docs recommend that you Low-Level format the drive (especially if it has been formatted for any other file-system) before patching it for Replay use:

DO IT. Use the WD tools to LowLevel the ENTIRE disk before patching (allow 3-4 hours for a 160 if memory serves me correctly)

It might be superstious, it might not... But one thing that is real is that computers and replays use very,very different filesystems, best to "start new"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.